Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Symington
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about some of my favorite games like Glory to Rome and Fleet, and realized that both have cards that can be used in different ways - a card in GTR can be a client, material, or building, and a Fleet card can be a ship, a captain, or used as money. Is there a term for this mechanic? What are some other games that do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
multi-use card-play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard a term specifically for that, but it would seem to me it's just a slightly more complex version of hand management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
it's not a mechanic in the first place. It's a thing for sure, but not a mechanic, it doesn't *do* anything in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
bpsymington wrote:
I was thinking about some of my favorite games like Glory to Rome and Fleet, and realized that both have cards that can be used in different ways - a card in GTR can be a client, material, or building, and a Fleet card can be a ship, a captain, or used as money. Is there a term for this mechanic? What are some other games that do this?

There are various different specific ways this can be used. E.g. in so-called "Card-Driven" Wargames, a card can be played to give some number of operations (# printed on the card) or to cause a specific event/effect (also printed on the card).

In Combat Commander: Europe, you can play a card from your hand as an order during your turn, or as an action in response to an order, and cards are also drawn to resolve diverse random things (dice rolls, random hexes, random events, etc).

In many games cards can be used face-down as money.

Of possible interest is this geeklist about a specific subset of this phenomenon:
Show me your back side - Games where the cards use their backs as well as their fronts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think of it as "that thing that Carl Chudyk likes to do" so if you like GtR, you might also like to check out Innovation and/or Impulse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:
I tend to think of it as "that thing that Carl Chudyk likes to do" so if you like GtR, you might also like to check out Innovation and/or Impulse.
Mottainai print and play available now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy I love this style of gameplay.

Not exactly the same thing but: one of the main reasons I picked up Bruges is because each card can be played as one of...six(?)...actions, and also because each card is unique. There are duplicate character abilities, but the name and artwork for each card is different. You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Also I like the use of cards in Concordia. Each card is an action you can take on your turn, but they each also have an associated Roman god, and these are used in endgame scoring. Sometimes I'll buy cards because of their deity rather than their action if I know they'll net more VPs at the end.

Edit: Oh one more I bought recently! Deus. (I've had a thing for card-based board games lately.) Not reeeeeeally multiple uses, but a card is either used to construct its building, or discarded as an offering to a god of its colour and the more cards you discard the greater the benefit.
There's nothing I hate more than having useless cards in your hand, so I really appreciate games where you aren't locked into one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy and San Juan and Before the Wind are some others that work this type of gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so I'm clear, would Lewis and Clark also fall into this categories, where the cards can either be used for their actions or as fuel for other cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Bruges. The cards can be used in many different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Race for the Galaxy and San Juan and Before the Wind are some others that work this type of gameplay.

I agree that Race for the Galaxy and San Juan both do this. I don't think Before the Wind does, though. There are different types of cards, and they progress through different stages (hand, warehouse, ship), but the apples are always apples. The money is always money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Symington
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frenzykitty wrote:
Just so I'm clear, would Lewis and Clark also fall into this categories, where the cards can either be used for their actions or as fuel for other cards?

I would include Lewis & Clark - I like that game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Symington
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:

I own and enjoy Innovation, and I received Impulse as a gift, but it hasn't hit the table yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.