Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Understanding the endgame winner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just really started getting into this game, and think I understand most of the rules and believe I understand the endgame and how to determine the winner, but just want to be sure.
I will give an extreme hypothetical just to make sure I understand the rule correctly. Let's say in a 4 player game which ends when someone builds their 17th city and it then goes into phase 5 which is burn power for cities, let's say the other 3 players are something like 15,13,6 cities. And let's say for some strange reason all but the person with the 6 cities can only supply electricity for at best 5 cities, but the one with 6 is able to burn for all 6, I assume from reading the rules that he/she is the winner eventhough they are far behind in city building. Is this correct?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this once, but I thought that it ended as soon as someone was able power 15 cities. I may be wrong, and I'm sure that a more experienced player will chime up to correct me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've just really started getting into this game, and think I understand most of the rules and believe I understand the endgame and how to determine the winner, but just want to be sure.
I will give an extreme hypothetical just to make sure I understand the rule correctly. Let's say in a 4 player game which ends when someone builds their 17th city and it then goes into phase 5 which is burn power for cities, let's say the other 3 players are something like 15,13,6 cities. And let's say for some strange reason all but the person with the 6 cities can only supply electricity for at best 5 cities, but the one with 6 is able to burn for all 6, I assume from reading the rules that he/she is the winner eventhough they are far behind in city building. Is this correct?

Correct. The winner is the player who is able to power the most cities, once the end has been triggered.

Of course, if you were leading in cities but short of resources, you'd be unlikely - in reality - to build the triggering city.

Quote:
I've only played this once, but I thought that it ended as soon as someone was able power 15 cities. I may be wrong, and I'm sure that a more experienced player will chime up to correct me.

The number of cities that triggers the end of the game changes depending on the number of players.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:
Let's say in a 4 player game which ends when someone builds their 17th city and it then goes into phase 5 which is burn power for cities

Well the game doesn't end right away as phase 4,building, will continue until everyone has has their turn to build.

chessduffer wrote:
let's say the other 3 players are something like 15,13,6 cities. And let's say for some strange reason all but the person with the 6 cities can only supply electricity for at best 5 cities, but the one with 6 is able to burn for all 6

Correct it is the person who can power the most cities who wins the game. The game is about managing your economy. You need to get the power plants to power and build in the most efficient way possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...but don't forget its the player who powers the most, not just 17. So if they build 21 and power 19 they will win over another player only able to power 17!

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessJester wrote:

My empahsis added - as other posters have pointed out the number of cities to trigger the end game varies depending on the number of players. The important point is that the end game is triggered when a player connects not powers the appropriate number of cities, in this case 15.

Once the end game is triggered the winner is then the person who can power the most cities at the end of that turn. Depending on circumstances in the game this may be well under 15 (or the appropriate number for the number of players) or well over 15 or it may be 15 exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to clarify on this question as well. Our 3-p end game was triggered at 17 cities. We had two players who had the plant capacity to power 16 cities each even though one of them had 17 cities built. One, after round 3, had the fuel sitting on their plants to CREATE power to their full 16-city capacity. The other person didn't have enough fuel on their plants to fuel their entire capacity. They could only do 10 of their 16 cities because I had purchased up the remaining fuel they needed before them in Step 3.

We ruled that the person with enough fuel for the biggest capacity won the game. But the rules do not appear clear as they declare the game ends after round 4. Therefore, technically, is there any need to purchase fuel in step 3 if one is poised to win on capacity alone? Since they were both tied on capacity alone should we then have ruled on the money remaining? (Which in this instance meant that the other player would have won.) Did we complicate it by evaluating the fuel sitting on the plants to determine who actually WAS GOING TO power the most cities if there had been a Step 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No. The winner is the one who is able to power the most cities on the last turn of the game. You need the cities. You need the plants. And you need the resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave is correct. See page 6 of the rules under "Winning the game":

The winner is the player who can supply electricity to the most cities within his network...[skipped bit about resolving ties]

Important: Sometimes a player other than the one with 17+ connected cities will win because the latter cannot supply electricity to all his cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
No. The winner is the one who is able to power the most cities on the last turn of the game. You need the cities. You need the plants. And you need the resources.

So you're saying we ruled the winner correctly?:

Player 1: 16 cities built; 16 city power plant capacity; fuel on plants to only power 10 cities (because of end-game fuel shortage); more money than player 2. We ruled: LOST, THIRD PLACE

Player 2: 17 cities built (triggered end game); 16 city power plant capacity; fuel on plants to power all 16 cities; least money of all players. We ruled: WINNER, FIRST PLACE (Most power capacity actually provided to the most cities.)

Player 3 (me): 14 cities built and only 14 city power plant capacity but enough fuel for them all. Most money of all three players. We ruled: LOST, SECOND PLACE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowsher
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
You were correct. P2, P3, P1 in that order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

So you're saying we ruled the winner correctly?:

Player 1: 16 cities built; 16 city power plant capacity; fuel on plants to only power 10 cities (because of end-game fuel shortage); more money than player 2. We ruled: LOST, THIRD PLACE

Player 2: 17 cities built (triggered end game); 16 city power plant capacity; fuel on plants to power all 16 cities; least money of all players. We ruled: WINNER, FIRST PLACE (Most power capacity actually provided to the most cities.)

Player 3 (me): 14 cities built and only 14 city power plant capacity but enough fuel for them all. Most money of all three players. We ruled: LOST, SECOND PLACE

It looks like you got it right, but it just seemed like you were possibly a little confused about the end game. At the end game you should always:

1) Buy resources as normal
2) Build as normal
3) Calculate beaurocracy as normal. (Whoever powers the most cities at this point wins.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKeck wrote:
3) Calculate beaurocracy as normal. (Whoever powers the most cities at this point wins.)

You don't need to bother with income, however. Money is only a factor in scoring if two people power the same number of cities. Players who power the same numbr of cities will have identical income, so collecting it after the end game condition has been met has no bearing on the result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
TheKeck wrote:

You don't need to bother with income, however. Money is only a factor in scoring if two people power the same number of cities. Players who power the same numbr of cities will have identical income, so collecting it after the end game condition has been met has no bearing on the result.

All true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad we reasoned it fairly well from the less-than-perfectly-clear rules. Could't have done it without y'all. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
You need the cities. You need the plants. And you need the resources.

Exactly. Whenever a question like that is asked, I repeat the mantra (in order of purchase): "You need the plants; you need the fuel; you need the cities."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.