Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Roads & Boats because I thought it would be a good solitaire game. I have not been disappointed!

For about a month now I have been playing the Mesopotamia map. It has tons of resources, but the rivers running thru it make it very difficult to move things around. I was stuck in a rut for my last 6 or 7 games, always finishing between 130 and 160 points. But tonight I made a breakthru.

With this map you basically have three choices of where to start: north, south or between the rivers. Between the rivers appears to be unworkable due to the difficulty in aquiring stone. I have, so far only tried the northern strategy.

Twenty turns is not very long so you have to be efficient. That has been my biggest problem so far. In most of my recent games I got my mint and stock exchange built but didn't have time to produce any stocks.

To get those extra turns, I did three things differently. First, I used my inital stone to build a road, instead of using it to build a sawmill on turn one. This sped things up just a tiny bit, but every little bit helps.

The second thing I did was to start breeding donkeys very early. In my previous games, I found that I just didn't have enough transport to move all my goods around. So after I had built a quarry, sawmill, and two woodcutters I bred my donkeys up to 5.

The third thing was to quit breeding geese after I got 4 (instead of going for 6). I decided all the tech I really needed was specialized mines and oil rigs. That way I got 8 gold from the two mines I was able to build. Enough to build 2 stocks.

I had my mint built early enough to change all my gold to coins, but in the end I was 1 turn short of producing my 2nd stock certificate.

In the end I had 1 stock, 2 coins and 7 rows for a total of 270 points. If I'd had one more turn I could have got 50 more points. I know the record for this is 400 points or so, and I have no idea how to do that. But I'm stoked that I FINALLY produced a stock certificate!

R&B is an excellent solitaire game. I recommend it to anyone who is short of gaming partners, but loves a great building game. It takes me about 2 hours to play a session so it's great for an evening's entertainment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've never seen a flying hogfish. I saw one gliding once, but never flying, not actually flying.
United Kingdom
Tyne & Wear
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice report!

I spent a good few weeks playing "A River Runs Through It", trying to figure out how to maximise points. Found myself going to bed and drifting off to sleep thinking, "when do I need to start producing x if I want to end up with y by the end of the game".

This is the best game I've seen for being both solitaire and multi-player usable. Just played my second multi-player game with four players today, everyone seemed to enjoy it, and at least one player (who'd only seen it for the first time) said they were going to get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herman Haverkort
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Congratulations! :-)

Where did you build the sawmill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.