Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So not sure if this is a silly question, but can Daybreak be played on its own? I don't have either Daybreak or the Base Game, do you recommend one over the other as a first purchase in this case?

My group loves the Resistance and I think they'll like this too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game is mandatory. Daybreak is Expansion, not a standalone game. Base game is great on it's own, so feel free to start with it. After couple of months, add Daybreak. Then Exodus. I'm not sure if Pegasus is really worth it now - couple of its components have been made obsolete with Daybreak.

If you feel like it, you can also start with Base + Daybreak. It won't add that much complexity and should "fix" most of the issues that Base game had.

edit: Good answer, wrong game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JarekWarsaw wrote:
Base game is mandatory. Daybreak is Expansion, not a standalone game. Base game is great on it's own, so feel free to start with it. After couple of months, add Daybreak. Then Exodus. I'm not sure if Pegasus is really worth it now - couple of its components have been made obsolete with Daybreak.

If you feel like it, you can also start with Base + Daybreak. It won't add that much complexity and should "fix" most of the issues that Base game had.

I think you are confusing Werewolf with Battlestar Galactica...

But as to the original question, I think the base game is better for first time players, and then get Daybreak after. Or get them both at the same time. I think that the the roles in Daybreak are definitely more complicated and it's a good idea to learn the game with the easier roles first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak can certainly be played by itself.

Per the description on BGG - "Daybreak includes eleven new roles, and it can be played on its own or combined with the original One Night Ultimate Werewolf game; when combined, you can have up to ten players in a single game."

I haven't actually played it, so I can't answer your question, but just felt that one needed clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although daybreak can be played by itself, I would recommend starting with the base set. Daybreak has more 'expert' type roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak is a standalone game. You can play it by itself for sure, but I would suggest you start with the first game. The roles are more straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been said, get the base game first if you can.

Daybreak is awesome, and can be used standalone, but it's a lot more complex.

ONUW is not a game you want to dive right into the deep end with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah with noobs I would start with the base game, leave out doppleganger, and hunter, but try to give everyone a role (villager is just boring, though having one allows for some different types of lies). Then when you add doppleganger their little minds will BLOW devildevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet thanks everyone.

OP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.