Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Chaos fanMicrobadge: Buccaneer Bones fanMicrobadge: Parent of Twin GirlsMicrobadge: Camp Grizzly fanMicrobadge: In space no one can hear you scream.
I've just been looking at the rules for this, and the fact that you just pick any card you want seems to me that it'd make for some very overpowered characters.

In the interest of toning this down, and also in the interest of randomness (which I like), I am thinking that when I use this deck I will just shuffle it and draw one. What you get off the top of the deck is what you keep. If it benefits you, brilliant! If not, tough luck.

The rules also state that on subsequent missions, when you reach that level again you don't pick a new skill from the experience deck. With the random draw ruling, I'm thinking that it'd be good to give the choice of discarding one of your existing cards and drawing another when you reach the new danger level again.

Has anybody got any thoughts on why this wouldn't work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Microbadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I have a problem with it - the game only hit the shops yesterday, and I won't get mine for a week or two!

Overpowered characters? Well, we can do harder missions, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
Microbadge: PsychologistMicrobadge: MensaMicrobadge: Waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse (I'm prepared)Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Shooting fan
I use almost the same rule, except I divide the deck in two.

In one part, I put crowbars, fireaxes (except +1 strength), pistols, nightsticks, rifles, machetes, bows, bats, crossbows and all "start wihtth" cards, as those are clearly underpowered weapons (made a lot of stats!).

Every survivor gets one random experience card from that deck at the beginning of the game. That doesn't add a lot of strength, usually, it only changes the way you equip and gives a little boost to weapons u usually discard as soon as you find something else.

And I give one equipment card from the other deck (the strong one) for each first player to reach the next danger level. That adds just a little bit of competition and discussion.

At the end of the game, keep only one (your choice), rinse and repeat next game, and keep up to two, and so on.

That way, you are not "fully experienced" if your first mission is one ending in ultrared mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls