10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Shaper-Fork, Thought Experiment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
This feels really all in, but I'm wondering if it makes sense on some level. The issue with shaper decks tends to be dealing with sentries. Faerie actually has a lot of in faction support (test run, sac. construct, clone chip, etc). 3x Fork and same old thing can really cut down on the number of faeries you need through out a game. But, this build is just a skeleton. Economy is a really a drag at the moment (thoughts on where you'd get your economy for this deck are welcome), but keep in mind that faerie isn't going to cost a lot of credits. Lady shouldn't cost you a lot of credits. Cyber-Cypher shouldn't cost you a lot of credits. Multi access is also sorely lacking.

So,
1) Can we get this breaker package to work?
2) How can we best take advantage of it?
3) Is it simply too much work to get to a "best-case" scenario that doesn't actually win us the game?

New Runner Deck

Chaos Theory: Wünderkind (Cyber Exodus)

Event (13)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Forked (Order and Chaos) ••••• ••••
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)

Hardware (7)
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
1x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (9)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Sacrificial Construct (Core Set)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
2x Cerberus "Lady" H1 (All That Remains)
3x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
2x Faerie (Future Proof) ••••• •

Program (4)
1x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
15 influence spent (max 15)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea. One problem I see with this is that it is better to run Forked on already-rezzed sentries. Otherwise, either there isn't even a sentry there, or corp can just choose not to rez and your Forked is wasted. Thus, for each killed sentry you'll probably be needing to burn two Faerie-equivalents.

Also, there is that annoying Architect card that some people play. Maybe you want a Mimic or Femme in there?

edit: maybe take out one Forked or Faerie, and add in a Mimic plus some Scheherezades! That would be fun to get money for your Faerie install. Though a single Lucky Find may be smarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacrificial Construct definitely works with Faerie.
Quote:
When an encounter with a piece of ice in which you used Faerie to break a subroutine ends, trash Faerie.
Quote:
Prevent an installed program or an installed piece of hardware from being trashed.

When the encounter ends, Faerie wants to trash itself, but you trash Sacrificial Construct to prevent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacrificial Construct works with Faerie, because trashing Faerie isn't associated with a cost - it's just an effect. You cannot use Sacrificial Construct to prevent trashing Sharpshooter. Take a look at both cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
cspieker wrote:
I like the idea. One problem I see with this is that it is better to run Forked on already-rezzed sentries. Otherwise, either there isn't even a sentry there, or corp can just choose not to rez and your Forked is wasted. Thus, for each killed sentry you'll probably be needing to burn two Faerie-equivalents.
Basically this As much as I want it to work, I think cutlery is too slow and influence-heavy for Shaper - you may as well drop them and go all-in on Parasite+Datasuckers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ruman
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Agree on Fork vs. Parasite. With clone-chip support, it seems that parasite+DS is the superior choice as they can be tutored for instant kills (with some sucker tokens) while running and seeing a sentry rezzed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Think I'll give this one a whirl and see how it does:

New Runner Deck

Exile: Streethawk (Creation and Control)

Event (17)
1x Day Job (Order and Chaos)
2x Forked (Order and Chaos) ••••• •
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
3x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
1x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (9)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Sacrificial Construct (Core Set)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (8)
3x Cerberus "Lady" H1 (All That Remains)
3x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Faerie (Future Proof) •••
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (4)
1x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
PaxCecilia wrote:
Sacrificial Construct definitely works with Faerie.
Quote:
When an encounter with a piece of ice in which you used Faerie to break a subroutine ends, trash Faerie.
Quote:
Prevent an installed program or an installed piece of hardware from being trashed.

When the encounter ends, Faerie wants to trash itself, but you trash Sacrificial Construct to prevent it.

Oh right I forgot Faerie trashes after it is used. Doh.

Thanks. I actually had a question on this that you guys preemptively answered. Lukas has ruled (and it's officially in the new FAQ) that if you prevent paying a cost, the cost is not paid, and you cannot do the effect. However Fairie, unlike Sharpshooter, isn't a paid cost. It's a result of using the abilities on Fairie to break ICE. So it totally works.

As for the deck, I really like the concept, but comboing 3 cards to get rid of sentries seems a bit too combotastic. It'll really slow you down waiting to have: (1) forked, (2) Fairie, (3) and a Sacrificial Construct installed.
Now when Hailey comes out, I wonder how this build would fit her and replicator. With replicator and the ability to double install hardware/programs, you have serious potential to rush your entire combo out with only a few pieces at the start (I realize replicator would only bring out the SC, and that you'd have to tutor for Fairies, but with Shaper that should be easy). Then draw up for Forked and go.

Also, I know the point is to kill Shaper's biggest pain in the neck, but how many sentries do you see per game? Usually 3 for me, and unless they're really big stuff like Archer, Ichi 1.0, or Komainu it's really not usually that big of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.