Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Parparian
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been trying to figure out if this is at all possible for the Overlord To win. and I think I found one rule that may help but I want to make sure I'm playing correct.the rules for the historian say she act like a hero with the following exceptions when she is defeated place a fatigue token on her to mark she is defeated. as an action while adjacent to hero may revive her.I take this to mean she couldn't be revived by the passive heal of our heros bard and they must use an action. is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my quest in front of me- if the historian's rules say something like "follows similar rules to being defeated as heroes," then I think she can stand up on her own. If it only says that an adjacent hero can revive her, then that would be limited to a revive action only.

I barely lost this quest as OL when I played it. If you can use the influence effects to your advantage, then you can probably pull it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Parparian
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly im wondering if the wording of the quest means that healing abilities do or do not effect the scholar when shes knocked out. Since the wording seems to lead me to believe she can only be gotten up by a pick up action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The way I've been playing is, if something says to treat something as a hero figure or a monster figure, then I allow things that specifically target heroes/monsters to be able to target that token.

If you have a character that can use their abilities to revive from a distance (like Okaluk's heroic feat), then that would also allow her to be picked up with it.

If it says the token activates after any hero turn, then that hero can choose to activate her and have her revive (unless it specifically says the token can't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
I have a question regarding stand up action of librarian.
If she is knocked out and uses own action to stand up is her activation over or she can use second action?

If it comes to lieutenants following similar rules it was told that he doesn't ends his activation after stand up action (e.g. Alric Farrow in The Dawnblade quest).
My hero group hates this ruling so in advance I wanted to know how to handle the librarian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceRik wrote:
I have a question regarding stand up action of librarian.
If she is knocked out and uses own action to stand up is her activation over or she can use second action?

If it comes to lieutenants following similar rules it was told that he doesn't ends his activation after stand up action (e.g. Alric Farrow in The Dawnblade quest).
My hero group hates this ruling so in advance I wanted to know how to handle the librarian.

Since the special rules for the historian are verbatim the same as for Splig in "Fury of the Tempest" and "Let the truth be Buried" (that is ' during this encounter ____ follows the same rules for being defeated as heroes...') I would follow the same ruling- she can perform a second action after her stand up action.

However, it's a little different because the historian can be revived, which is an option not available to LTs
. If FFG were asked this question they might respond that it eats her whole turn, but that's merely speculation. Without a new ruling, the best I can do is point to the exact text in another quest and say what it meant there.

That is, figure being treated as a hero (but not really a hero) can stand up as a single action, not its entire turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaragnor wrote:
...the rules for the historian say she act like a hero with the following exceptions when she is defeated place a fatigue token on her to mark she is defeated. as an action while adjacent to hero may revive her.

wouldnt this mean that she has 2 exceptions:
1. get a fatigue token when defeated
2. a hero adj can revive her (meaning she cant revive herself)

no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
isaragnor wrote:
...the rules for the historian say she act like a hero with the following exceptions when she is defeated place a fatigue token on her to mark she is defeated. as an action while adjacent to hero may revive her.

wouldnt this mean that she has 2 exceptions:
1. get a fatigue token when defeated
2. a hero adj can revive her (meaning she cant revive herself)

no?

That is not the text. Under the historian, it says:

Treat Celia as a hero figure with the following exceptions. Celia follows the same rules for being defeated as heroes (she is knocked out when defeated and as an action may stand up when activated). When she is defeated, place a fatigue token on her token to mark that she is defeated. As an action, while adjacent to Celia, a hero may revive her.

Celia activates once each round after any hero turn and is controlled by that hero player. When activated she may perform any 2 actions but cannot attack or search. Celia is immune to all conditions and automatically passes any attribute test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh sorry.. i dont have this expansion.. i though person above was making a quote. Was just curious. thanks.
just reading / learning around

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
Hi I have a quick question (we start our session in 2 hours).

What monster groups should be used in "The Incident" quest?
In my translation they wrote: cave spiders, rats, one open group
then in setup they say where to put cave spiders, ironbounds and open group.
In reinforcements I again have information about rats.
So what groups are required in this quest and where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I don't have my quest guide. However, I would go by the monsters and reinforcements section. Where it says ironbound in setup, place rat swarms. I have played this quest a couple times and I am certain there are rats- I do not remember ironbound being present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaltyre is correct. Here is a quote from the setup rules:

Quote:
Place the rat swarms on the Archives. Place the cave spiders on the Tomb. Place the open group on the Cave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I just checked my booklet as well and there's no mention of Ironbound at all. If yours has one, let FFG know; it must be a misprint from a later printing or something.

I barely won this as Overlord — came down to a single roll against a master rat swarm that I'd plugged the exit with. The roll failed, and time ran out for the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for reply, especially zaltyre for very quick response.

@Sarcasmorator - contacting FFG wont help, I have Polish version translated by Galakta and they have a lot of mistranslated stuff
The problem is not when is as obvious as this (different monsters in one section and different in other) because then I know that I should ask about this.
Problems starts when you see no indication of miss translation but its there. For example on my version of shadow dragon, shadow ability is explained as "Adjacent to this dragon hero who targets him needs to spend surge or this attack will miss".
And we played three campaigns using this rule. Only when I bought Crusade of Forgotten (which is available only in English) thanks to Shadowside Watch quest card I noticed that something is wrong.

If someone would be interested in result of this quest - it was crushing victory for OL.
I have chosen Shadow Dragons as open group and added Aurium Plating from Valyndra plot deck to them.
Because my heroes invested in pierce they become almost indestructible for them.
For one turn they all tried to kill dragons and then realized that its pointless (10 attacks in one turn and 5 damage on dragon). They spitted and then spiders and rats which were ignored by heroes were able to kill two heroes (including prophet). Other two heroes with librarian managed to pickup some gold but eventually they also were killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Scharff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I won this one because I made the ruling that the bards song can'theal her up based on the "exception" wording. I chose Kobolds as my open group because Nerekhallis very stingy with the Overlord reinforcements and used them to bog the heroes down enough that they rage quit after a third consecutive X roll for a blast by the Geomancer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.