Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first game of this last night, to learn it before teaching the rest of our game group. The rules seemed fine, as I'd read the questions here, which clarified a few points for me.

One rule I did get wrong might make for an interesting variant. When destroying production/building cards, you must destroy one on your turn if you have one that matches a type passed over by the goth. When I first read the rules, I thought it was saying you could choose a type on your turn that you didn't have in play, to avoid the damage, even if you had other types in play that would be destroyed. This would add another factor when deciding whether to pay tribute or let the goth advance.

We'll definitely learn and play as written until we know the game well enough to try this, but for those of you who have played a lot, I'd like to know if this sounds like it would be worth trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glasson
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing that if it comes around to you, you must destroy a land if able. i.e. you can't choose white if you don't have any white lands. The variant you propose would really change the basic nature of the game. Part of the decision of whether or not to pay the Goth is whether or not you can cause more damage to others than yourself. Changing this rule removes one of the basic ways to "screw your neighbor".

It gets even better if you can't destroy a land, but then later are able to collect some spoils. Remember this is not a good natured game devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I was thinking this could add even more "screwage", than already seems to be there.

Let's say I advance the goth, and there are 2 farms, a city, and a legion to be destroyed in a 5 player game. We all have cards that match those resources, except I am without cities. With this variant in play, I would definitely advance the goth, and choose the city icon, which would keep me from harm this turn, while the others would be forced to eliminate cards on their turns. It would be further complicated, if others also had "missing" resources, and could do the same as the round advanced.

Again, it may be that this would seriously damage the play balance, and I am a long way from understanding it well enough to see how it might play out. In the two player game we had last night, it came up and worked well (for me ), but mid game as I was referencing the rules I realized I was doing it wrong.

I'm looking forward to having more players, so I can begin to explore the possiblities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.