Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
I liked XCOM: The Board Game a lot. For me it was an absolute "Pandemic killer", easily becoming my puzzle-like co-op of preference. But after playing the video game (yes, I did the opposite path of most of people and played the board game first, and because of it I discovered the video game and started playing it as well) I've realized I would also like to have a skirmish game with an XCOM feel.

My idea, at first, was to just use the soldiers' minis that come with the game, my tiles from zombicide, designing some fan-made equipment cards (medkit, grenades, armors, laser and plasma weapons, etc.) and tokens (such as half and full cover, poisoned, overwatch, etc.) and gathering a few alien minis from other games.

The other idea is to get another complete board game.

With this two possible ideas in mind, in your opinion, what would be the best skirmish game with an XCOM feel (both in aliens' design and gameplay)?

Poll
      52 answers
Poll created by stevancorrea

PS: If you're not sure, here are links for minis' pics: Sedition, GD, Gears, Level 7.

Thanks a lot! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it counts as a skirmish game, but Doom: The Boardgame always felt very XCOM to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn. It may not have aliens, but it definitely feels like tactical XCOM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
I've only played Level 7 Omega Protocol, and it feels more like "Aliens" than X-Com. I think the difference is the environment (X-com is more about city/countryside combat) and in x-com you're trying to protect citizens, as well.

Also, consider Space Hulk (which is similar to Level 7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think Gears of War would be a fantastic system for two reasons: a great Cover system in the game and FFG already owns the rights to the mechanics. Though I voted for L7OP, it's just a great game all around.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Frankysan wrote:
I don't think it counts as a skirmish game, but Doom: The Boardgame always felt very XCOM to me.

I had DOOM back in the day, but as much as Level 7, Space Hulk or other of those "inside" games, I would only considered them for my first idea (OP) of taking the minis only and make my own home-made version of an XCOM skirmish.

GeckoTH wrote:
Earth Reborn. It may not have aliens, but it definitely feels like tactical XCOM.

Didn't know about this one... I will take a look, thanks!

JimbobJones wrote:
I would say Galaxy Defenders.

Technically, I think Level 7: OP is a better game, but to me, it's somewhat more complicated, plus I think the GD co-op play is much more in-line with XCom.

I'm okay with complicated, so... I guess this is a vote for Level 7? LOL cool

gnasche wrote:
I've only played Level 7 Omega Protocol, and it feels more like "Aliens" than X-Com. I think the difference is the environment (X-com is more about city/countryside combat) and in x-com you're trying to protect citizens, as well.

Got it. Yes, I would probably use zombicide, or other "open environment tiles", except on alien bases/ships missions whistle

gnasche wrote:
Also, consider Space Hulk (which is similar to Level 7).

I don't know... I really don't like Space Hulk's figures style.

shnar wrote:
I really think Gears of War would be a fantastic system for two reasons: a great Cover system in the game and FFG already owns the rights to the mechanics. Though I voted for L7OP, it's just a great game all around.

-shnar

I see... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders is in all aspects XCOM, except for the name.

People might disagree with me, but I think it deserves the title XCOM better than FFG's XCOM, even though this is also a good game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mestre dos Magos wrote:
Galaxy Defenders is in all aspects XCOM, except for the name.

People might disagree with me, but I think it deserves the title XCOM better than FFG's XCOM, even though this is also a good game...

I have no problem that 2 games in the same franchise have complete different scales and operational mechanics.

They simply complement each other. Besides I think the base and mission fights are extremely fun and tense in XCom the boardgame without bothering with boring long winded tactical stuff.

It has been a few weeks since I played XCom the boardgame and I feel the itch to play it already. While the video game you can play it every other day, XCom the boardgame is more rewarding when playing it every few weeks or even months, just like my other good games Eldritch Horror or Mansions of Madness.

So they are complementary and I love that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
Enemy Unknown (the recent XCOM computer game) has kind of killed tactical board games for me. On the tabletop, a game like this feels too slow, too much work, no matter how well-designed it may be.

For my money, Claustrophobia is probably the one that best captures the tension and fluidity of Enemy Unknown, without taking too long to resolve the fiddly details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders obviously utilized XCOM as its main inspiration. There are many, many similarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Bright Side wrote:
Enemy Unknown (the recent XCOM computer game) has kind of killed tactical board games for me. On the tabletop, a game like this feels too slow, too much work, no matter how well-designed it may be.

If only the video game had a co-op multiplayer version (as far as I know the multiplayer is only PvP) cry

charlest wrote:
Galaxy Defenders obviously utilized XCOM as its main inspiration. There are many, many similarities.

Yup, by the poll results so far, people really like Galaxy Defenders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
If you guys are still here... thinking about my first idea, of designing a home-made game for this, what do you think about using Starcraft minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.infinitythegame.com/game.php

I wish someone would make an "Infinity" Mod for the Xcom video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders is a great game, but boy can it take a while. Take the suggested mission play times as an optimistic estimate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bright Side wrote:

For my money, Claustrophobia is probably the one that best captures the tension and fluidity of Enemy Unknown, without taking too long to resolve the fiddly details.

Dice rolling simply can not be replaced in a computer game.

When oh when will programmers will EVER understand this ?

The computer games that do this this are few. Like an excellent PC version of Conflict of Heroes the boardgame, but like most, I still prefer rolling dice physically.

So nope, I don't want to see "bang - dead" in a game, I want to calculate it and roll the odds.

Curiously even THE hybrid games like XCom and Golem Arcana understood this as in the latter you simply choose: let the computer roll OR you roll the dice physically. Smart designers...

That's what most of us boardgamers want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Well... right now, I'm working on designing my home-made skirmish XCOM, trying to use as many components from XCOMTBG (such as dice, tokens, etc). I'm making a small map and a few soldiers, equipments and alien cards, for a play test later this week - let's see how it goes ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevancorrea wrote:
Well... right now, I'm working on designing my home-made skirmish XCOM, trying to use as many components from XCOMTBG (such as dice, tokens, etc). I'm making a small map and a few soldiers, equipments and alien cards, for a play test later this week - let's see how it goes ninja

I'd be kinda shocked if FFG wasn't doing this as well. If they took the time to make sure it was fast playing, instead of just piling crap on like they frequently do, it could be an amazing game. Super amazing.

That said I absolutely love the video game. I don't really miss throwing the dice myself, and then resolving against armor, and then checking for criticals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Walsfeo wrote:
I don't really miss throwing the dice myself, and then resolving against armor, and then checking for criticals.

Actually, I'm designing something much easier than that
Soon, I will let you guys know cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevancorrea wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
I don't really miss throwing the dice myself, and then resolving against armor, and then checking for criticals.

Actually, I'm designing something much easier than that
Soon, I will let you guys know cool

Count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Jeremic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk Imperial Assault and Mythic Battles Pantheon looks promising

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.