Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
We feel that the major line cards bring in a huge luck factor. It happens quite often that somebody has built Chicago-New York already (or one of the other links) and that later in the game the major line card is drawn and they immediately receive the bonus points.
How about taking the major line cards out of the game? Or have them open already at the start of the game and so everybody knows about the potential extra points that can be scored? This also would solve the issue of being a new player and not knowing what kind of major lines there are.
Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am not sure if taking out the major line cards is really the answer.As far as new players are concerned I have written down which cards have major lines and hotels in the game for new players as the hotel cards can be very good for scoring points as well if they come out early in the game.I think that is one of the great things about this game though is that you can try using a strategy hoping a certain card will come out but it may not.I only ever seen about 3 quarters of the deck gone through and that leaves pretty many cards left that you never see.The last game we played there was only one hotel card to come out and there is around 5 in the game if i remember correctly.So if someone wants to buld kc to ny and hope the card comes out good for them.I would make sure that it cost them plenty as i would not make it easy for them and if it does not come out they probably can't win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of taking them out and making a separate deck of 6 cards, then deal three of them face up at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
This also would solve the issue of being a new player and not knowing what kind of major lines there are.

We use an "info sheet" for newbies on what all the cards are (not just major lines, but also service bounties and hotels). We also try to cover each tycoon card before starting, since it is nearly impossible to ask about your tycoon after the game start without tipping off who you have.

I haven't found the major lines to be a problem. In a game with limited luck, the major lines and service bounties add a reasonable level of luck. As long as everyone knows where they are, they can be factored into building decisions. We haven't found either type of card to unfairly or randomly create winners.

I wouldn't do it for the newbie factor, but you if you want less luck in your games, it would still be a game without the lines.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a player aid that shows all the Major Lines, Hotels, Service Bounties and Tycoon Bonuses superimposed on the map.

Print this out and it will help newbies and experienced players alike see all the various bonus points that potentially can pop up.

You can get it here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=15441

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I know the city colors well enough that it probably wouldn't matter to me anymore, I wanted to combine the info on Scott's map with the city colors in the final, printed version. So I opened up the map in MS Paint and recolored the incorrect cities. Final result is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=18680

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.