Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheByteKnight wondered how long it would take for a fan to port Star Trek Attack Wing into Armada. Well, that time is now, and I am that fan.

Now I should mention that I'm kind of mercurial when it comes to projects like this. I have the want to do this now, but I also have class and other things going on as well. So don't expect a playable subgame instantly.

That said, Armada is half the reason I haven't ditched my entire Attack Wing collection. The other half is that I put work into those minis and don't want to part with them.

Now is the time to fulfill this wish and have these ships in Armada.

First a comment: I'm a fan of both universes. What ships I do craft will attempt to be useful in the Star Wars universe and not create overpowered caricatures that clearly show dominance from either the trek or wars perspective. My goal is to make interesting, useful ships to fly beside the Star Wars ships but also behave a bit differently.

So please spare this thread the snarky images of things like Picard ordering a photon beamed on to a Star Destroyer bridge and the like. I don't want to start a trek vs wars arguement here, the purpose of this project is to get trek playable in Armada.

With all that said, some ideas and comments:

+Trek ships have their own upgrade categories. I might make an equivalency chart.

+Photon Torpedoes might be a Federation only Heavy Weapon upgrade. They can spend criticals on red dice to deal "more damage" and prevent the target from using redirect tokens. Evades and Brace can still affect it.

+The USS Enterprise will be a title card to add more crewmen cards to a ship, increase its hull value, and maybe... a few other things. The Ent-A will do other things.

+I intend to make other templates for other eras. LCARS is actually simpler than the TMP one I did above. Not sure what to do for TOS. I'd also like to do templates for different races too... good thing the Klinks are identical between TMP and TNG.

+Cloaking will be a special upgrade category bubble that says this ship can enable a cloaking device. You cannot fire or be attacked but gain a scatter defensive token while it is operating. Decloaking spends the command dial and allows you to fire on that turn, but cloaking device is discarded/Flipped. I may decide to allow the ship to go under cloak if all arcs have at least 1 shield and you activate an engineering command. Cloaking costs points to upgrade the ship, it will not be an inherent characteristic of the ship.

+Crew cards will be awesome but I'm tempted to make some of them discard abilities. Like:
Captain Kirk: Discard this card. You may activate an additional dial on this ship.

+TNG era ships will have bigger dice pools but move slower. Basically, TOS-TMP will operate like rebels and TNG will operate like Empire.

+Fighter values will be low for Trek ships, but they are still there in case a player wishes to use them for cross-universe support. Unless I bring in carriers from Starfleet Battles and Starfleet Command, which would be awesome but beyond what I imagine doing.

+If you want to do the borg, make your own template. I'm not interested in bringing in imbalanced powerhouses... or extending the trek vs wars simulation to include the Borg vs force powers.

So, stay tuned!

-------------------------------

If you guys wanted to help here's my sort of ToDo list:

+Base mockups (especially the kind that can fit over Attack Wing bases). I need to generate a template that I can change the arcs with and still fit over a WK/X-Wing square base.

+Base mockups for Armada, In case I want to do the armada port

+Trace the Defense token symbols

+Testing. I'd really appreciate it if you guys or former AW players were willing to put these ships in their paces against the core ships to establish some kind of balance. Theory is good, but nothing beats putting the ships on the table and seeing what happens.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
Well, that time is now, and I am that fan.

Lol. Looking good so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
This is utterly ridiculous.

*subscribed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My main concentration is painting wave 1 fighters right now and getting tutorials out, however i have alot of interest in this and did a few templates for my own modified STAW system before armada. Now that its out and i like the system infinately better im totally going to eventually get involved too.
If youd like to collaborate id love to work on some stuff with you, better than two people hacking the same problem
let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Lthere wasn't really a well developed fighter element to Trek like Wars has. I guess you could do shuttles, but that feels meh. I am uncertain what you replace the fighter mechanic with.

I would focus more on ENT/TOS/TMP. The relative power scaling would be easier to manage with such low dice values. Trying to reconcile an Enterprise D or E in the same fight as a Constitution or Miranda class is ridiculous (see: every miranda that gets one shotted in DS9). The Miranda could go full kamehameha on the Ent-E and it wouldn't really scratch the shields.

Also, I just found that era more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The TMP era is my favorite of all of Trek (if it wasn't telling by doing early TMP styling with the Refit Enterprise as my mockup), but I feel I should extend some care to the TNG era as well considering many who are watching this thread might find it... useful?

The intent of this project was to have Trek come over and play nice with the 'Wars universe... and also bow to the superiority of the Armada engine. I would like it if the capital ships could command fighter squadrons if they had to, because I also like the idea of some refit connies coordinating some X-Wing squadrons. Though trek isn't known for fighter combat I don't see a problem allowing them to command two fighter groups if they had to (command + token use with Fighter 1).

for era differences I don't mind scaling up the dice pool on TNG ships... again, they'd hit like Victories. When it came to scaling those massive Galaxy-era phasers and the power behind them I might allow their side and forward pools to be generous instead of the Victory's overwhelming. I'd expect Galaxy phasers to one-shot CR-90s, but hit about as hard as a victory does out the front.

Of course we don't know the firepower of the Imperials... they might cave in Victories like Styrofoam. In which case, Galaxies are good compromises?

Regardless, I'm in the process of mocking up some upgrade cards. I'll see if I can get them up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridiculous, matt?

I appreciate the assistance Chris, but honestly I don't like to compromise when it comes to art projects like this (unless FFG extends a hand and says so for whatever surprising reason). I'm sure you have ideas about how to make a Trek Armada engine work that honestly I may not like and choose not to implement for what I'm doing here. I am open to suggestions, but only on the understanding that you don't expect them to be implemented. That's just how it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

first run at mocking up some upgrade cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for your effort. I was planning this myself. Are you planning to try to balance them with the Star Wars ships?

Here is a quick scale I did.

"+TNG era ships will have bigger dice pools but move slower. Basically, TOS-TMP will operate like rebels and TNG will operate like Empire."

Why not make the TNG ships just worse but cheaper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first couple of games of Armada my thoughts immediately went to how I could use my STAW ships using this system. Looking forward to tracking your progress
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaos Phil
msg tools
mb
I did an enterprise - E a few days ago lol
Il post it when I get on my laptop next

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Norsehound wrote:
Ridiculous, matt?

Utterly.

Can't wait to see where this goes (I'm more of a trekkie than a star wars guy)

I see you're a "local" (whatever that means in the greater Bay Area). Ever go to Kubla Con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Smith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My intention was more along art lines and not so much the implementation, i can see you have a very clear idea of where you are going and I did not mean to insinuate you should make a detour from that.
more so that photoshop templates can be alot of work and it may be beneficial to share some ideas or resources among eachother.
I don't expect the internet to do anything i suggest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
Should torpedos not only make their double damage when the target is unshielded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent behind the Photons is potentially to do a lot of direct damage on a facing shield (Since Photons are really heavy explosive ordinance). I'll have to examine a red die when I got the chance to see how likely it is to trigger the critical and how likley it is to do overwhelming amounts of damage.

One end result of Photons should be for (Federation at least) ships to hit harder with their fewer dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like what you have for Kirk. I think it captures well what he actually added to the Enterprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Lthere wasn't really a well developed fighter element to Trek like Wars has. I guess you could do shuttles, but that feels meh. I am uncertain what you replace the fighter mechanic with.

It does seem a little meh, but at the same time it probably is the best bet. The PC game Starfleet Command III gave you the option to deploy shuttles that could attack. Maquis Raiders maybe? Also, in DS9 the Federation and Cardassians did have attack fighter squadrons. Taking some liberty to create Klingon and Romulan equivalents shouldn't be too frowned upon.

Norse, great to see you working on this. Maybe I'll hold off on selling my collection after all. Maybe not though, I don't have room to store pre-painted minis for 3 different games lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blauvelt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
[q=" Also, in DS9 the Federation and Cardassians did have attack fighter squadrons. Taking some liberty to create Klingon and Romulan equivalents shouldn't be too frowned upon.[/q]

Romulan Scorpion fighter appeared in Star Trek Nemesis. We did not get to see their power but Data did fly one out of the Scimitar's corridors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I have some solid entries I might ask Mel to render some of the Jay-type fighters and the like from Starfleet Command. Honestly I think they were the best Trek fighter depictions for the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Peter, I can't make Kirk as useless as you'd like.

Brainstorming the attributes... but I still want to be mindful of creating Admirals that may be too powerful for the Imperial/Rebel faction ships to use as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
Do you have templates to make this cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on creating the templates and some sample cards at the same time.

Also what I'm working on is re-creating some of the icons. At least, re-creating them well enough that they can pass as the real thing at a distance.

Still tinkering with font size and placement. Also not sure if I should make this upgrade background universal or federation-only...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb

Shouldn't this guy have some sort of time travel ability since he's Sisko's dad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momtoast
United States
Secane
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah!

I love this idea. I'm very willing to help, as well as test things for you. I'm mainly a Romulan player in STAW, so I'd like to mess around converting some of those.

Thanks for working on this! And let me know how I can help. I can do things in Photoshop as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some proper ships:

And something for the TNG fans;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.