Subject: Can bidding be worked in? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Everyone in my group complains about the random turn order. Is there a way to work the Shogun idea of bidding for turn order into Wallenstein?

I was thinking that it might be cool to bid grain for first choice in your turn slot. You could probably indicate your bid by hiding armies in your hand as bidding cubes. Of course there's a lot of problems to solve, like how do you resolve ties, should everyone start with extra grain (to cover the cost of bidding), should a negative grain balance affect revolts, etc. Nevertheless, do you think the general idea is still useful?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
My first thoughts are that gold/grain are already tight in Wallenstein and bidding on them would just make them all that much tighter.

Don't forget that in Shogun you are bidding on a special privilege so are getting something in return for the gold spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
My first thoughts are that gold/grain are already tight in Wallenstein and bidding on them would just make them all that much tighter.

True, but perhaps one might start each year with a stipend of grain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonus
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
why not add the 5 special cards to wallenstein too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jonus wrote:

I missed those... what were they? Could they be easily manufactured if you don't have Shogun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why?

Wally works as it is. I'd like to think that Shogun is more a reworking alternative Wally-style game as opposed to being 'improved' Wally.

Bidding justs makes the game more like a Euro and less a wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonus
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
sightreader wrote:
Jonus wrote:

I missed those... what were they? Could they be easily manufactured if you don't have Shogun?
The "Lay Out Special Cards" are described on the shogun manual at page 6-7.
http://www.queen-games.de/PDFHelp/63_1.pdf

You can use anything as substitute for the real cards.

You could even go that far to buy the 5 "Lay Out Special Cards" from shogun from queen games.

shawn_low wrote:
Why?

Wally works as it is. I'd like to think that Shogun is more a reworking alternative Wally-style game as opposed to being 'improved' Wally.

Bidding justs makes the game more like a Euro and less a wargame.
The argument that bidding would cost to much in wallenstein was raised, because there would be no compensation. So i just pointed out that you could add the "Lay Out Special Cards" to wallenstein. I didn't suggest it out of the blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jonus wrote:
The argument that bidding would cost to much in wallenstein was raised, because there would be no compensation. So i just pointed out that you could add the "Lay Out Special Cards" to wallenstein. I didn't suggest it out of the blue.

I'm thinking of another idea: bid with grain, but just add an extra season before winter... that would give everyone an extra season of grain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea of bidding for turns. But if you think you must... why not bid actions? Say, you offer to pass up the first, or first and second actions (or as many as you like, you get the idea). Or maybe the last actions of the turn. That would give the bidding an element of impredictability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.