Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they could be linked. However, this might be equated to playing Axis and Allies and settling each battle with a game of Memoir '44.

Several problems arise however:

(1) Encounters are more varied in Runebound, and cannot be modeled well in Descent.
(2) Supposing (1) could be made true, a single Descent encounter just takes too long.

The time element is just too problematic, although it might be interesting for small scenarios of Runebound and small maps of Descent, for special encounters only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using the midnight expansion where there is an overlord in the Runebound game also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr P
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I had actually been thinking about this, but more in the long term, rather than a night of gaming. Basically, you could use Runebound as a overland campaign map, and make the smaller "encounters" as small, non-boss dungeons. Previous poster might be right about the gaming being a bit too long, but if you could keep track of the Runebound markers, I think it could make a good campaign setting.

Just my $.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...the big problem, which would have the coolest payoff, is linking the two very different combat systems.

How about this.
Play on the Descent map.
Players use Runebound characters.
Use Runebound encounters. That is, draw a Runebound encounter card, and use numbered tokens to keep track of where the encounter is on the board.
Green encounters move 4, yellow 3, blue 2, and red 1 per turn.
Attacking is 2d10 like Runebound, but to determine range, roll a number of...I don't know, green dice? equal to the character/encounter's damage in that area. Count range normally, as per Descent.
And then some bonus for melee...maybe roll 1 green die and add the range number to your die roll.

I dunno. Probably the best thing to do is keep the two games seperate, but if you want to play the same character in both, go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr P
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
What I was thinking was just using Runebound as more of an overland map. And what I mean by that is just using it for it's movement rules, and encounter rules. The difference is that when you go into an encounter, you'd play a Descent dungeon. So instead of fighting a horde of gobo's or whatever, you actually play a dungeon. And the size of the dungeon would be kinda determined by the severity of the encounter. Descent items would be used in the overland Runebound stores, and instead of having 1 card per store, you could have as many cards as players. It could work, but it might not be worth the time really. Just brainstorming. Man I long for Warhammer Quest. hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.