Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down to about once a month with a friend of mine and sometimes not even that. No OPs in the area I know about, though I'm not that interested in the OPs anyway. Never see a game playing except for mine.

How about all of you? How often are you playing STAW and how often are you seeing it played at your local venues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Local venue wise its once a month-ish, there was an issue with the OP kits and all OP's were delayed by about 2 months.

once or twice a month i meet up with friends and run a game or two, I also run test games with weird and wonderful builds solo when I feel like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's gone from bad to worse for me...

MoH at one venue was just me and one other guy. TO said that was the last one because he couldn't justify asking the store to spend the money.

MoH at the other venue was just me and the TO...even after she made several posts offering prizes, etc.

Meanwhile X-wing is growing like crazy locally with several new stores running events, leagues maxing out with 20+ people, and tons of new players coming in.

The lowest point was at that second MoH I brought a Kazon fleet to have some fun. Spent a good bit of time on it tweaking to make it at least somewhat competitive (so I thought). TO didn't think she would play so she didn't have a build. She threw together an alpha-strike Scimitar build and destroyed me in a couple turns. No fun whatsoever.

I was so depressed I went over to a different store and did a pick-up X-wing game (with my minimal ships). Played against a good player/fleet and got just as skunked....but it was so much more fun. I felt like I was in it until the end and movement/tactics were so much more important.

This is a really hard time for me.cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
This is a really hard time for me.cry

Yeah, same here. I have much less anger about this than most, and more sadness and sense of loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at about once every other month right now. We still do 2 custom scenarios a month at the local store (same one done twice), but the turnout is questionable. Two months ago it was 7 and 4 players (including the TO), and in March it was possibly just 3-4 and either 1 or 2.

I don't know when the store will do MoH, but I know by the end of RiF it was only 3-4 people. This time last year there were two separate OP's with averages of 9-12 people per OP with plenty of new faces continuing to show up. It's depressing.

We might be getting a couple back now that the Borg are not used as much (faction pure venue), but I don't know if it's too little too late.

bah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The lore of the game keeps me coming back, we mostly play thematically and since I have no FLGS it is all casual.

I feel like the game is mostly coasting at this time, which isn't a bad thing, as most of the "key" releases are out although some of the niche ones are still on the way such as the Promethius, etc.

As I repaint the ships I don't feel like I need to play much more than I do as that counts as spending time with the game as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I could suggest to people is that if you want to build interest in the game, repaint your ships! All it takes is something eye catching to get the ball rolling, maybe not for tournament play but definitely casual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local venues have people playing every Saturday and Sunday, and I am registered for 4 OPs this April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a regular OP, but it's getting more and more difficult. Wizkids keeps postponing shipments, which makes it difficult to schedule the events.

We're using Peak Performance and any other months that get skipped due to delay to try out a few new things to make the game more balanced and fun.

I'm really excited about our next game, each player brings a completely fleet pure list with no resources. Each player will be bringing a different faction. This should be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're down to once a month. At it's most popular, around the first Episode OPs, there were 3 OPs between 2 venues with about 6-12 participants each. RiF Month 3 was down to the TO and 1 participant. One of the venues recently removed the product from its shelves and put it all in storage.

It'd be nice if the rumored television series was slated for this fall but I highly doubt it could make it to production that quickly. Maybe WizKids will come out with a variant that's cross-compatible with Armada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dulsky
United States
Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~2 OPs per month (One I TO, other I play)
~Every 2 weeks with friends (We just got X-Wing though, and I agree, its refreshing to actually have to FLY your ships instead of just theory crafting with math who will win)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Liedtka
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
I thankfully play about twice a month with two people from my OP group. We mostly do big battles from events over the universe. My OP group however has dwindled down from a steady 8-10 to about 4. Borg got most of them, and OP issues the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly more than usual over here; I used to pretty much only make it out for the OPs, but there have been a lot of unofficial events and casual play happening at my FLGS lately. And although yes, average turnout is certainly lower than it once was, we have seen a few old and new faces at the last event or two.

Speaking of which, shouldn't it be possible to bring people back? Get the word out to former players that the Borg are in decline, the blind boosters are gone, and the OP rules are seemingly innocuous?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Slightly more than usual over here; I used to pretty much only make it out for the OPs, but there have been a lot of unofficial events and casual play happening at my FLGS lately. And although yes, average turnout is certainly lower than it once was, we have seen a few old and new faces at the last event or two.

Speaking of which, shouldn't it be possible to bring people back? Get the word out to former players that the Borg are in decline, the blind boosters are gone, and the OP rules are seemingly innocuous?

I'm going to let the x-wing wave run its course but always have my AW close by to show it off. I'm hopeful some may "convert".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me put it this way. One year ago, I was playing STAW weekly at my FLGS and we had a great group of about 6-10 who played at the monthly OPs and sometimes the weekly casual play.

Since then:

* 2-3 just stopped coming. No idea why.
* 1 got frustrated because he couldn’t fill all the slots on his ships.
* 1 got mad at me after a game where I used a RSV with Borg Alliance to devastating effect.
* 1 got frustrated with the OP scenarios.
* 1 moved and decided he’d rather go to the more-lively OP scene at a different FLGS.
* 2 were heavy X-Wing players and couldn’t justify spending the time on STAW anymore due to the myriad of issues.

So now I don’t play anymore. Because there’s nobody that’ll play with me. And the FLGS was unsuccessful bringing new players in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple games a month, I guess. 1 monthly OP, which I run and don't usually play in. Weekly nights at my FLGS, but some weeks I'm the only one there. Sometimes I teach the game, sometimes someone else shows up, sometimes I just hang out for a bit then head home. (There's another local store running OP, but I don't go there for personal reasons.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirron Young
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was what I was thinking. What kind of paints etc do you use? I was thinking of maybe trying the army painter set to start with.

MaximumDT wrote:

The lore of the game keeps me coming back, we mostly play thematically and since I have no FLGS it is all casual.

I feel like the game is mostly coasting at this time, which isn't a bad thing, as most of the "key" releases are out although some of the niche ones are still on the way such as the Promethius, etc.

As I repaint the ships I don't feel like I need to play much more than I do as that counts as spending time with the game as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I could suggest to people is that if you want to build interest in the game, repaint your ships! All it takes is something eye catching to get the ball rolling, maybe not for tournament play but definitely casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I use a combination of paints, mainly P3, Citadel and Vallejo but I also own a bunch by "Apple Barrel" which are surprisingly awesome and dare I say practically rival the expensive paints if you water them down a bit - Walmart carries that brand.

Grab a couple Citadel washes as well if you're not too good with bringing up shades and edge highlighting / dry brushing.

To seal the ships for this game I use Army Painter - Soft Tone spread VERY light across the ships as to not create any shading but to give them a nearly impenetrable "shield" off them which is extremely drop resistant and also allows me to have them all stored on top of each other without worrying about wearing the paint off.

Definitely worth the effort, I just finished 12 new ships tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirron Young
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa nice! You have any pics of these painted ship up somewhere? I'm just not sure if I should go so hardcore into paints yet since painting miniatures would be a new skill that I have to pick up on the fly...lol.

Was thinking of starting out small and working my way up into more paints as I get more experienced?

MaximumDT wrote:

I use a combination of paints, mainly P3, Citadel and Vallejo but I also own a bunch by "Apple Barrel" which are surprisingly awesome and dare I say practically rival the expensive paints if you water them down a bit - Walmart carries that brand.

Grab a couple Citadel washes as well if you're not too good with bringing up shades and edge highlighting / dry brushing.

To seal the ships for this game I use Army Painter - Soft Tone spread VERY light across the ships as to not create any shading but to give them a nearly impenetrable "shield" off them which is extremely drop resistant and also allows me to have them all stored on top of each other without worrying about wearing the paint off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nla_game wrote:
That was what I was thinking. What kind of paints etc do you use? I was thinking of maybe trying the army painter set to start with.

MaximumDT wrote:

I’d shy away from the starter set. The colors are a bit too primary and since the sets often sit on shelves, the paints are kind of old. I’d much more recommend building your own set of Citadel or Vallejo paints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nla_game wrote:
Whoa nice! You have any pics of these painted ship up somewhere? I'm just not sure if I should go so hardcore into paints yet since painting miniatures would be a new skill that I have to pick up on the fly...lol.

Was thinking of starting out small and working my way up into more paints as I get more experienced?

MaximumDT wrote:

Here's a shot of my Federation ships, I have more now since this was quite awhile ago.

Random bonus shot of my repainted Scimitar.

2nd random bonus shot of my repainted Kazon ships - These made my wife crave Chocolate, haha.

NOTE: I should mention that I take apart most of the ships and clean all the mold lines with an X-acto knife as well as fill the gaps with a product called Green Stuff then re-prime the ship so there is some prep work involved before applying new paint to what you see above.

Hopefully this inspires you guys to repaint your ships which will catch the eye of somebody at your FLGS and get more people into the game.

Anyway, I'm done de-railing this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the early days I played at two venues and TO'd at another. It was usually the case that we averaged 6 or more players each. My schedule changed and I'm down to only the venue I run events at. The last two events of the RiF series we had six players again, but with the delays for the next kit...I only had one player show up for Matter of Honor.

It was sort of depressing playing our OP event with just us two, while the X-Wing league had six or seven folks playing. On the other hand, it sounds like attendance at the other venues has waned too. I'm uncertain how to entice more people to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that the OP venue I go to has about 4-6 players per OP, were still dealing with the last two Borg ones and they have left a lot of the players cold.

I do not think anyone is looking forward to the 3rd OP with the half table borg killzone leaving you with half a table and nothing to hide behind. Alpha strike jousts are really dull.

At the same time the X-Wing tournament are pulling in 3 or 4 times that number in players. Make of that what you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately about one casual game a week. Up until RiF 3 I was playing 3 OPs a month. One place has cancelled due to dropping attendance. Player numbers are down at the other two. Both have postponed MoH until the end of April, that will be close to 3 months with no OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask myself why players burn out on STAW. I ask myself if this is only the cult of the new (Armada maybe) but I don’t think it is. You want to believe that a game you play is balanced enough so that you can play with a reasonable chance of success, no matter what. But the balance problems mean that people have these experiences where they go up against an attack negation build or a Borg build, or a fighter build or whatever that strikes them as so ridiculous it sours them completely on the game. It’s one thing to lose because your opponent is better than you (or more experienced anyway). It’s another to think he has an unfair advantage due to an imbalance in the design.

I like the way STAW has varying terrain and think the 6 asteroids that are always in Star Wars are monotonous, but a LOT of OP games are just jousts and so maybe new players don’t like the bare board they see so often?

Plus any collectable game is a hard sell enough without having to buy a pack for just a single card because all the others are unique. And you can play the second ship as a generic at best. This isn’t the nicest aspect of the game I think, especially when there are lots of different “titled” or piloted ships in XWing. Even the generics in XWing don't feel as "generic."

Personally I like the Star Trek theme, but if we want to bring people into the game maybe we need to know what new players don't like about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

Personally I like the Star Trek theme, but if we want to bring people into the game maybe we need to know what new players don't like about it.

I can't speak for every area but when I talk to guys around me about coming back to STAW the reasons I get that they won't are.

1) Borg
2) Boring OP scenarios in open space.
3) Faction mixing (I know all the arguments for and against but its what people tell me)
4) Prize chasing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.