Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Atheist!

My heart goes out to the poor Madison bakers, florist, bakers, photographers, and bakers who are forced to participate in Atheist marriag...civil ceremonies.

Quote:
The city of Madison, Wisconsin has announced that it is now against the law to discriminate against atheists, making it the first city in the nation to add people who don’t believe in a deity to the list of protected classes of citizens, reports Channel3000.

Saying, “It’s only fair,” bill sponsor Anita Weier led the city council in a unanimous vote approving the ordinance that protects citizens in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations.

“There are many categories that are protected,” Weier said. “And it did occur to me that if religion was, then perhaps the opposite should be.”

At a time when neighboring state Indiana is in turmoil after the governor signed a bill allowing businesses and individuals to discriminate against others based upon their religious values, Madison council members voted to make their city more inclusive.

“This is important because I believe it is only fair that if we protect religion, in all its varieties, we should also protect non-religion from discrimination,” Weier explained.

Testifying before the council, atheists told tales of housing, employment, and parental custody discrimination due to their non-belief in God, saying their atheism should have no bearing on their character, values, or ability to their job.

“It’s actually something we’re commonly very concerned about, just because atheism is viewed as such a taboo in this country. And there’s such a stigma with it,” explained former Atheists Humanists and Agnostics president Chris Calvey. ” That people in my student group, for example, are very hesitant to be honest about their lack of belief in God out of fear that they are going to be discriminated against in employment opportunities. If that came up in a job interview that’s held against them.”

“Having it on the books, where we’re legally a protected class, that will make things much easier for atheists,” Calvey said. “And we’ll be able to be confident that at least if we’re honest about what we actually believe, then we have the law backing us up so we can’t legally be discriminated against.”

Atheism joins the city’s long list of protected classes which includes: sex, race, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, age, handicap/disability, marital status, gender identity, and political beliefs, among others.


Word on the street is the new city flag will be Satan and Neil Degrasse Tyson holding hands and skipping over the corpses of puppies. Maybe kittens.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
The important part here is that it settles once and for all the argument over whether atheism is or isn't a religion.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We go up to the Madison farmers market a few times each year and none of what you said would surprise me. For every good thing like Stealla's spicy cheese bread are three different hemp seed bees wax vegan lip balm.

People who shower on a regular basis should be Madisons real protected class.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Drew1365 wrote:
There's a reason it's called "the Berkeley of the Midwest." And it's not because of the weather.


Sounds MISERABLE, absolutely MISERABlE.

-Ex Berkeley resident

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremycobert wrote:
bees wax vegan


I think I've identified the problem with Madison.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Donald wrote:
Atheist!My heart goes out to the poor Madison bakers, florist, bakers, photographers, and bakers who are forced to participate in Atheist marriag...civil ceremonies.

Quote:
The city of Madison, Wisconsin has announced that it is now against the law to discriminate against atheists, making it the first city in the nation to add people who don’t believe in a deity to the list of protected classes of citizens, reports Channel3000.

Saying, “It’s only fair,” bill sponsor Anita Weier led the city council in a unanimous vote approving the ordinance that protects citizens in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations.

“There are many categories that are protected,” Weier said. “And it did occur to me that if religion was, then perhaps the opposite should be.”

At a time when neighboring state Indiana is in turmoil after the governor signed a bill allowing businesses and individuals to discriminate against others based upon their religious values, Madison council members voted to make their city more inclusive.

“This is important because I believe it is only fair that if we protect religion, in all its varieties, we should also protect non-religion from discrimination,” Weier explained.

Testifying before the council, atheists told tales of housing, employment, and parental custody discrimination due to their non-belief in God, saying their atheism should have no bearing on their character, values, or ability to their job.

“It’s actually something we’re commonly very concerned about, just because atheism is viewed as such a taboo in this country. And there’s such a stigma with it,” explained former Atheists Humanists and Agnostics president Chris Calvey. ” That people in my student group, for example, are very hesitant to be honest about their lack of belief in God out of fear that they are going to be discriminated against in employment opportunities. If that came up in a job interview that’s held against them.”

“Having it on the books, where we’re legally a protected class, that will make things much easier for atheists,” Calvey said. “And we’ll be able to be confident that at least if we’re honest about what we actually believe, then we have the law backing us up so we can’t legally be discriminated against.”

Atheism joins the city’s long list of protected classes which includes: sex, race, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, age, handicap/disability, marital status, gender identity, and political beliefs, among others.

Word on the street is the new city flag will be Satan and Neil Degrasse Tyson holding hands and skipping over the corpses of puppies. Maybe kittens.

Oh, please! Your misguided attempts to demonize atheists doesn't earn you any kudos of credibility.

After all, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison would probably have gone along with such a decision in light of any recent track record of discrimination against them.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
There's a reason it's called "the Berkeley of the Midwest." And it's not because of the weather.


Sounds MISERABLE, absolutely MISERABlE.

-Ex Berkeley resident


Yeah, odd that it keeps getting ranked #1 here:

http://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-liv...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
Oh, please! Your misguided attempts to demonize atheists doesn't earn you any kudos of credibility.

He's demonizing...himself?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


damiangerous wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
Oh, please! Your misguided attempts to demonize atheists doesn't earn you any kudos of credibility.

He's demonizing...himself?

In the immortal words of Father Merrin from "The Exorcist": "It can be done, however ... "





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.