David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have seen the discussion elsewhere in the BGG forums about other battles that could be represented under a similar system as in "1066, Tears to Many Mothers"

The essential theme of this game could be summed up as "a campaign where both sides first had to overcome different problems, and then ended up in a climactic, decisive battle"

I do not know enough about the run-up to the battle of Agincourt to opine on whether it is a suitable candidate.

My ideas:

Waterloo 1815: Napoleon has to win back his throne coming back from Elba, then raise an army and then march on to Belgium to surprise the Prussians and British / Dutch / North Germans (BDNG). The Prussians and BDNG have to mobilize their armies, deploy them in position... and attend the Duchess of Richmond's ball.

Madrid November 1936: the Nationalist side has to march & fight its veteran troops all the way from Western Andalusia to Madrid, and politically consolidate Franco as the rebels' Generalissimo; while the Republican government tries to scrape together an effective fighting force to defend the capital, and politically tries to re-assert its authority and achieve Soviet intervention. Historically, the Republican victory meant that the Spanish Civil War would last 2+ more years. If the Nationalists had won, the war would probably have ended in a couple of months.

Las Navas de Tolosa, 1212: one of the most decisive battles in the Spanish reconquest. The Pope called a Crusade and many warriors from around Christian Europe came to Spain, but most crusaders left before the battle due to political / religious disagreement with the Spanish kings. On the other side, the Muslim Almohads raised a formidable force, also plagued by political problems with the local Spanish Muslims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions David, particularly Waterloo. cool
I have rough draft outlines for Agincourt as you mentioned, and am also putting together ideas for a naval battle game with Sir Francis Drake Vs. the Spanish Armada which may or may not be solo compatible too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see one based on the English Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
I'd love to see one based on the English Civil War.

That is an excellent shout Badger.
And FYI, whilst you're waiting there's always Cruel Necessity, which looks ace. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the system work for non-military events?

I'm thinking The Space Race, elections, maybe a three player version for the UK General Election, sporting events, solo version that feels like a movie plot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:

I'm thinking The Space Race, elections, maybe a three player version for the UK General Election, sporting events, solo version that feels like a movie plot?

I think so. Many of the 1066 objectives are already non-military, and Zeal could easily be representative of the support one side or the other accrues from electoral votes, or replaced by a measurement of athletic ability, scientific funding/capabilities, etc...

Uh, dude, you're starting to blow my mind a little here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:

Great ideas.

Tristan, also like the naval slant - don't seem to be many that take that theme, and the wedges might work well here? Perhaps more than 3??? Now that might get you thinking??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I secretly hope for an Arthurian theme. Camelot, and all that.

Although I never would have thought about elections as a possibility. Very intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:

Although I never would have thought about elections as a possibility. Very intriguing.

Apparently there's one happening here soon and someone was talking about it whilst I was typing the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom04 wrote:

Tristan, also like the naval slant - don't seem to be many that take that theme, and the wedges might work well here? Perhaps more than 3??? Now that might get you thinking??

It certainly does! The timer was going to be ships that just keep coming and maritime events and weather. Lots to think about here...

Auzette wrote:

Are you spying on me??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Boom04 wrote:

It certainly does! The timer was going to be ships that just keep coming and maritime events and weather. Lots to think about here...

Auzette wrote:

Are you spying on me??

No, but this gives me hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting setting for a naval battle could be Jutland 1916. The initial run-up to the battle would start all the way back in the 1890s, as you see both the Royal Navy and the German Navy build ever bigger, faster and heavily armoured battleships. Zeal could represent the ability of the respective admirals / navy ministers to raise funds and commitmment to the shipbuilding programmes, and then morale in the actual battle. The battle itself would of course need some changes compared to Hastings, but the ships engaged did indeed fight in "divisions" of similar types.

I also like the idea of a Camelot setting. Given the almost complete lack of reliable historical records for Britain in the Dark Ages, you can model it the way you like. One possibility could be that there is indeed a decisive "Battle of Badon" at the end of the game, and the two players struggle to prepare/unify their Saxon horde and Arthurian Romano-British knights. And if the Saxons lose a lot of units in their first objectives due to the exploits of the Knights of the Round Table, well, that is a problem their 1066 descendants are already familiar with ... as they are inured to fighting a character-heavy and cavalry-heavy opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prowler wrote:
I also like the idea of a Camelot setting. Given the almost complete lack of reliable historical records for Britain in the Dark Ages, you can model it the way you like.

Exactly what I was thinking. Arthurian legend has enough flavor for the theme to be familiar, but the flexibility within the context is vast for the designer.

Neat stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My very last suggestion for alternate setting: the battle of Tsushima 1905
Both sides have a very different run-up to the battle, with the Russian navy circumnavigating Europe and Africa, and the Japanese plagued by collisions and Russian mines; then a final climactic and decisive battle at Tsushima, similar to Hastings
This is also a topic that has not been addressed by many games before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you the Camelot theme already has legs.
I hadn't even heard of Tsushima before though David so thanks for giving me something to look up on my lunch break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to stop postulating on all these variations. I fear for my wallet in the future. I already missed out on requesting the 1066 files by about 4 days. Gloom of Kilforth is also drawing me in (has been for some time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
You need to stop postulating on all these variations. I fear for my wallet in the future. I already missed out on requesting the 1066 files by about 4 days. Gloom of Kilforth is also drawing me in (has been for some time).

You mean you haven't pledged yet - what's keeping you my good man??!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budget. Supporting a wife and 4 kids. Unless I can figure something out...
Too bad I don't still live in England, then shipping would be easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
Budget. Supporting a wife and 4 kids. Unless I can figure something out...
Too bad I don't still live in England, then shipping would be easier.

Understood sir, and I only have the one boy.
FWIW, you can always pledge just a pound to stay on top of the updates, then decide at the end whether you want to support us or not.
No pressure either way, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.