13 Posts

Zombicide Season 3: Rue Morgue» Forums » General

Subject: Experience cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the story with the experience cards?
Did I miss the rules for these?
When do characters aquire these skills?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During the first scenario you get one Every time you level up.surprise
Say you made it to orange that game...

Next time you play you would get a new card at red level and every level after that.
Let's say you made it into ultra red and stopped at yellow this time...

In the third game you would have to go ultra red and back up to orange before you can get a new card.

Make sense???whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the full rules for the deck from the BGG page:

Quote:
In this mode, Survivors are able to gain extra Skills as they progress through the game, and when you play a subsequent mission with that same Survivor, he gets to start with the special skills he acquired previously!

When playing in Experience Mode, the first time your Survivor reaches a new Danger Level, he not only gains his normal Skill, but he also gets to choose any Experience Card and place it next to his dashboard. Each card grants the Survivor a particular Skill, usually associated with a specific weapon. When the Survivor reaches the next Danger Level, he gets to choose one of his normal Skills, and also one more Experience Card.

When you start a new Mission with that same Survivor, your Equipment and Experience reset normally, but Experience Cards are only discarded if the Survivor is eliminated for good. The Survivor begins the mission with his Blue Level Skill, as well as all Skills granted by the Experience Cards he gained so far. As he gains experience again, he will not get more Experience Cards for reaching a Danger Level he's already reached before. However, if he reaches a level he had not reached in a previous mission, he again chooses a new Experience Card.

This means that, in a normal game, a Survivor can only accumulate a maximum of 3 Experience Cards (one for the first time he reaches Yellow, one for the first time he reaches Orange, and one for the first time he reaches Red). However, if you play in Ultrared Mode, you might be able to gain even more Experience Cards as you reach levels beyond Red!

If you play with Resurrection Mode, the Zombivor version retains all Experience Cards as long as you're not eliminated. However, in subsequent mission you'll have to start as a Zombivor to keep the Experience Cards.

I'm not sure I'm too happy with just picking out the card you want as I think you could get some really overpowered characters, so I posted a thread that suggested two simple changes here. See if that makes more sense to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the experience cards are not excellent. They are a good material for custom campaign rules, but need to be houseruled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:
The rules for the experience cards are not excellent. They are a good material for custom campaign rules, but need to be houseruled.

Awesome, just like all the rules in this game.
They should just recall all the rules and simply put out scenarios and game pieces (I'd still buy'em).

I'll just use them during my campaigns like after you do x kills with said weapon, you get the card for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or put out books called advanced zombicide with a real story campaign?..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:

Awesome, just like all the rules in this game.

I think the core rules are well done. I don't use ny houserule for the main rules.

But some new rules don't integrate well, like the ones for experience deck.

Quote:
I'll just use them during my campaigns like after you do x kills with said weapon, you get the card for it.

That's precisely what i want to avoid. Some weapons are already more powerful. Experience deck may be used to fill the gap between strong and weak weapons (except for hatchets, kukris and meat cleavers, they are completely forgotten), and allow more variety in equipment.

The way the experience cards are supposed to be played make the strong weapons even more attractive, and they don't need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also like the experience cards a lot but I believe the rules needs changing.

I think we will do it like this:

Everytime a survivor reach the red danger level he recieves one experience card at random.

This way players won't become to O.P too fast and by allowing for random experience card drawings players won't take up time going through the experience card deck. There is also the chance that a player get attached to a less powerfull weapon because of his experience card.

The only issue is that by earning experience cards, the players still gets advantages while the mission's difficulty remain unchanged.

I have not yet decided what to do but thinking about doing one or both of the following:

1. SURVIVOR MODE*: the Survivor group keeps their wounded cards between missions. In addition they must also spend (X) food cards (water, rice, canned food, cookies or energy drinks) to avoid getting a (X) wounded cards.

2. INCREASING SPAWN DICE POOL: simple just add extra dice to the spawn pool. Could be something like this:
Group experience card total Number of extra spawn dice
1-2. 0
3-4. 1
5-6. 2
7-8. 3
And so on...

*: If this become too hard, a fix up might be too rule that starving survivors gets a special 'starving card' instead of a wounded card. The card takes a space of inventory and the survivor suffers a -1 ACTION, -1 SKILL or -1 DIE COMBAT for every starving card the survivor has.
I like this idea a lot but the next problem would be how to mix the equipment decks. The stuff in rue morgue is way more powerfull than the S1 and S2 stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Running through all cards is a real pain and slows down the gameflow.

I would suggest to randomly draw 2 or up to 5 cards and choose one of them.
A single random card would spread the skills for the same weapon across all survivors and makes the skills pretty pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
After a few games with experience cards I must say they are a great addition but the implementation is poor.

We earned many cards in our first mission because we went into red and beyond, second mission we earned 1 or 2 additional cards, and after the third mission we got nothing more because we already passed multiple red levels in missions before. So you level up fast and then stay there.

I think there should be more of a progression in earning exp cards. Maybe houserule that you only get exp cards if you reach red level. This would give you cards in multiple missions but very unlikely 3-5 in one of the first missoins.

Any thoughts about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
Sweden
flag msg tools
Where can I find the rules for these card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thompa89 wrote:
Where can I find the rules for these card?

They are in the ultimate survivor rules.
The pdf has been uploaded to the Zombicide website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Calhoun
msg tools
I think I will use these experience cards as a reward for killing the zombie bosses, through the lost zomibivores or w/e
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.