BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: New here...help me buy Christmas, please.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] christmas [+] [View All]
david bishop
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Okay, I have $200.00 to buy games for my boys, ages 10 and 13.
We are trying to direct them away from techno games a little bit.
(They like themes, not really blokus/Othello types.)
On the pc, their favs are Age of Mythology, Runescape, Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, and pretty much ANYTHING with a castle. You get the idea. I need to mail the order out soon if the games are to make it here safely by Christmas.

Can anybody shoot me their top 10 suggestions? These boys are accustomed to playing games for adults and get bored with most kiddie games. They cringe at "kiddie versions" of adult level games. We'd rather raise the bar and have them grow into a game than have them lose interest in a month's time.

Christmas is coming like a freight train. Please try to mix it up a bit, not all the same type, maybe the best of the war ones, the best of the party ones, etc. I appreciate your expert opinions.

Edit: What do they already own? They kept Dog-opoly, Topi-top Snow, and Clue. They recently tossed out Battleship, Yahtzee, Backgammon, Othello, Snapshots Across America, Gobblet, and a dozen other common Wal-mart games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have kids, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt (or perhaps a ring of salt around a margarita glass).

1) Memoir '44 if they're into World War II. Battle Lore is supposed to be available soon and might be an alternative if they prefer fantasy warfare.

2) Heroscape. Has teenage boy written all over it.

3) Nexus Ops.

4) Eagle Games has boardgame versions of Age of Mythology, Railroad Tycoon, etc. Then again, they might prefer the computer version.

5) War of the Ring if they like fantasy warfare and the movies/books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
EastFront II

Quite heavy on theme, big map, big blocks, two castles (well technically they're fortresses... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
5) War of the Ring if they like fantasy warfare and the movies/books.

I agree on this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent has loads of theme and really cool pieces for the monsters and heroes.

Memoir 44/Battlelore might be good, Memoir 44 has simpler rules, if that's what you're looking for.

Robo Rally is a blast! It's a race game where you try to get your robots across a dangerous factory floor!

Wings of War is a fun WWI air plane dog fighting game. It uses cards with manuevers drawn on them and lay them end to end to 'fly' your plane.

Prophecy is a fun, simple, RPGish board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Click the link, read the description, and then browse the Ratings and Comments section by clicking the adjacent numbers. Have fun!

BattleLore
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Railways of the World
Shadows over Camelot
Memoir '44
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Carcassonne: The Castle
Dungeon Twister
War of the Ring (First Edition)
World of Warcraft: The Boardgame
Return of the Heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david bishop
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
These sound like good ideas.
Someone locally (mall) recommended Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassone, but I was afraid to shell out the money until I checked the thoughts here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All three of those are good recommendations, particularly Settlers of Catan.

bishopdad wrote:
Someone locally (mall) recommended Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassone, but I was afraid to shell out the money until I checked the thoughts here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favourite "adult" games with theme:

Puerto Rico
Amun-Re
Power Grid

Carcassonne is fabulous and the Ticket to Ride games are also nice. My favourite in the series is Ticket to Ride: Märklin. It's the most strategic in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Runebound 2nd Edition way before I would ever go with Return of the Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david bishop
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Another way to put it. If you were 13 and had practical no boardgames, and were given a $200.00 alottment for buying, which games would HAVE TO be on the list?
Which ones win out over the others? Just having trouble making the best choice... they all look great to own eventually...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aceraxon wrote:
I would go with Runebound 2nd Edition way before I would ever go with Return of the Heroes.

Prophecy is another good one to consider.

I also agree that Ticket to Ride, Heroscape, and Memoir '44 are great games for that age and adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hugo mocc
United Kingdom
Leeds
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djflippy wrote:
All three of those are good recommendations, particularly Settlers of Catan.

bishopdad wrote:

Sorry, but I totally disagree... Settlers is basically themed (not to say themeless) and has as much appeal to a fantasy / warfare thirsty teenager as tofu has to grizzly bears (virtually nil).

I partially agree with you on Ticket to Ride or Carcassone (with a few expansions though...), but what they really want (from what I can gather) is something along the lines of:

• Nexus Ops
• Duel of Ages (1 and 2)
• Memoir'44 / BattleLore
• Dungeon Twister
• War of the Ring
• Descent
• Railroad Tycoon

and lastly, if looking into more euro style games:

• El Grande
• Domaine
• Shogun

Plenty of choice here. Avoid Catan, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would love to have Heroscape. It's on my wishlist. But if the youths in question cringe at "kiddie" games then they might not be mature enough to enjoy such an immature game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david bishop
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Burzum wrote:
I would love to have Heroscape. It's on my wishlist. But if the youths in question cringe at "kiddie" games then they might not be mature enough to enjoy such an immature game.

Sorry, I should have clarified. If there is a Pictionary for adults, they won't play Pictionary Jr. If there is a Monopoly for adults, they won't play Monopoly Jr.
Clue/Clue Jr., etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmocc wrote:
Sorry, but I totally disagree... Settlers is basically themed (not to say themeless) and has as much appeal to a fantasy / warfare thirsty teenager as tofu has to grizzly bears (virtually nil).

Disagree all you want to, but it is one of the best games there is to introduce people to the hobby of gaming. You suggested El Grande, which is an excellent game, but I don't know that would be any better suited to a 10 year old than Catan would be.
hmocc wrote:
Avoid Catan, please.

It's fine to disagree, but to try to steer this fellow away from the game, is a little over the top. He can browse the game page for himself and see if he thinks it would be a good game for his kids.

Catan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david bishop
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Ok, I've been reading the details for these recommendations and I think you guys have helped me to narrow down exactly what it is they love.

Not realistic war, so much as fantasy war.

Heroscape, Shadows over Camelot, Dungeon Twister, Descent; they open up those on Christmas morning and they'll go balistic.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe von Brainwash
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
I have boys in the same general age range. Most themed games are considered too "kiddy".
They love:

Blood Feud in New York
Wise and Otherwise
Why did the Chicken?
Hamsterolle
Khet
Zertz
Tamsk
Atlas and Zeus
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Blue Moon
kablammo
Hera and Zeus
Hey, That's My fish!
Ticket to Ride

Good Luck- some games that I thought couldn't miss(I'm looking at you, Heroscape) were big duds. They are almost always willing and happy to play one of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
They like castles?

Heroscape Expansion Set: Fortress of the Archkyrie

But, with the base Heroscape set, this might bust most of your budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david bishop
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Wow. That thing is amazing. I wonder how long it takes to set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!!!
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Munchkin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
If you have two boys who like theme let me try and recommend some good 2 player games that have theme and if possible a castle:

Carcassonne A strong game with just 2 players. I recommend this one to you most highly. I think your boy would enjoy it.

Hive
I have never played Hive but it is a highly acclaimed abstract strategy game with a theme: bugs. No castle there unfortunately.

Battle Cry I had a blast with this one in high school. Civil war so no castles but plenty of opportunities for tactical thinking.

For more than two:

Roborally A great game with an excellent theme. A lot of fun but usually requires 4 or more players.

A few games they might enjoy but without much theme:

Book of Classic Board Games There are some quality games in here; a couple have a good theme, like pirates, but many have no theme at all. Still, a bargain when you consider there are 15 2 player games in that there book.

Go It's not much of a theme but it is often viewed as an abstraction of political power and influence and not without good reason.

Chess In terms of theme: same as the above. But it’s worth encouraging your boys to learn either game as they are both a great way to encourage young minds. Many of the games they threw out they likely grew board with because they were not enough a challenge so Go and Chess are worth a shot. You can get professional grade chess equipment for 6-10 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It sounds like most Euro games would not appeal to them because the themes are not what's traditionally considered "fun". But since you asked for variety, here are some good Euro games that might be well-received.

Blue Moon City - A fantasy-themed Euro with great art.

Carcassonne - Build castles.

Since they like Civilization and Age of Mythology, they might like some ancient history themed games:

Ra - A fast-paced game with an exciting push-your-luck element.

Amun-Re - A more complicated game from the same designer that also has an auction element. It has fun plastic bits like pyramids.

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects - Lots of plastic bits. You put together a plastic temple. Pretty exciting game, with lots of big plays for big ups and downs.

Attika - One of my favorite games, with an ancient Greece theme. But the theme is not strong enough to be a major appeal of the game. It will appeal more to people who like Settlers of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
bishopdad wrote:
Wow. That thing is amazing. I wonder how long it takes to set up.

Actually, it can be assembled in a variety of configurations, like Legos. I don't own it, so I don't know how long the pictured one takes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david bishop
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Oh, I should've mentioned that the four of us will play often as a family, and we like weekend games with friends, (but up until this point, the friends have brought the games), so, even more than 4 players would be ok.
Of course, there will be times that the boys will play, just the two of them.

We also have a two year old boy. Someone told me that Gulo Gulo and "Hey, that's my fish" would be good for him soon if we're careful about the choking hazard aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.