Popular Tags: [View All]
laurent
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Could you please give me some feedbacks about your solo play.

How do you manage with the different choices for the opponent ?
Stealing
Hit and run
Sqeeze llay
Hold On
Infield In

Thanks for your advices

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you're from France, so baseball probably isn't your first sport.

In your question, you use the word "opponent." This doesn't apply, because you are the manager for both teams. Your main issue, though, seems to be with the strategy of when to hold runners, since that's a modifier for the first three things on your list, and when to play the infield or corners in.

With a runner on first, the runner is almost always held on by the first baseman so he can't get that big lead for stealing second. A runner on second or third is said to be in scoring position, so it's best to prevent him from getting there, as much as possible.

An exception to this is during a late-game blow-out. 8-1 in the bottom of the ninth, it's not so important.

Holding a runner on at second is a little different. If your outfielders have strong arms and the runner has a low speed rating, it's more of an option so that an (x) chance doesn't sneak through the infield.

Infield in is usually used in a close game in the latter stages to prevent the go-head run from scoring. This is when a runner is at third with under two outs. The runners can be on other bases, too, but third base is the deciding factor.

This strategy can also be used early in the game if first and second are unoccupied. Some teams will concede the run to get an out and prevent a big inning.

Sometimes in this situation the middle infield will play back, conceding the run, but the corners will come in to prevent the run. This prevents a sharply hit ball from going through for a hit.

This is also true for runners on first and third. The middle infield will hope for a sharply-hit ball so they can turn a double play, while the corners will throw home trying to cut the runner off at the plate.

Hope some of this helps.

If you're learning the game of baseball from the ground up, I would suggest you subscribe to a baseball channel and watch as many games as possible. Experienced announcers aren't going to tell you why a team is doing something, so you'll have to pay strict attention to each situation, where the fielders are playing and the strategies being employed. It isn't just pitch and hit.

There are ten thousand subtle nuances in the game of baseball and becoming familiar with at least some of them will enhance your enjoyment of the real game and the board game.

www.strikeout.co (note: .co, not .com) provides free games every day on the Net. You might find it at vipbox.eu or something like that, since you're in France.

There might even be a tutorial for new fans out there somewhere.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laurent
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian for those great advices
I really appreciate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only recently discovered the dice baseball and actually the SOMB itself.
Now I play advanced game only with stealing (stealing rating + catcher's arm) and baserunning without holding runners, infield in, cut off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.