Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles » Musings On

Subject: Game Hiding, Option 2 -- Trunk of Neighbor's Car rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Trunk of the Neighbor's Car
    In some circumstances, your best option is to completely remove the games from your property. In my case I stumbled upon a golden opportunity when we moved into our first house and the neighbor had a 1974 Cadillac Brougham in stunningly bad condition including a flat tire and seized brake lines. The local eyesore in the neighborhood, it became immediately apparent to me that it was simply a golden opportunity to stash more than a few boxes once I had established a good relationship with the man who owned it.

Pros:
1. Plenty of space.
2. Sufficiently nasty place that your spouse, likely HIS spouse, and pretty much everyone else would not consider looking in for something of value.
3. Lock and key access that you can get for the cost of a key copy.
Cons:
1. Entry to the space is easily viewable by both spouses and virtually everyone else on the street – unnoticed access times require advance planning to liberate your game of interest.
2. Neighbor’s marriage issues could result in your games heading to the junk yard on short notice (or no notice at all). Keep an ear out.
3. Exposed to extreme heat and cold, perhaps even wet.

My initial excitement at this opportunity was only increased when I discovered that the neighbor was an upstanding gentleman, a 20 year veteran of the Marine Corp and a 45 year veteran of marriage. He had a firm understanding of both loyalty and subterfuge. Although perfectly comfortable with my offer to help with his computer if I could hide some things in the car, I discovered to my horror upon opening the trunk that he had more than a few things already hidden there including a very nice set of golf clubs, a large box of Lionel train parts, and oddly enough an oscilloscope that apparently he had found at a yard sale. It became apparent that although this was an excellent spot, it was going to be limited in its usefulness in spite of a trunk designed to fit four dead bodies.
    One other issue arose pretty quickly – the man had installed four spotlights around his flagpole (“Old Glory won’t fly in the dark on my watch”) and had even purchased a backup generator, so it was no simple task to go into my neighbor’s trunk without being observed by the entire neighborhood, including my wife. Getting games out during the big power failure with hurricane Isabel was virtually impossible as the car sat on the only 100 square feet in the neighborhood that had lights. Consider the location of the neighbor's junker itself when going after this option, as it may not be able to move to a better spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like the sneekiness of this option. The problem I would have here is that my neighbors car tends to be gone most of the time when I would want to play a game. This would limit it's usefulness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
And God forbid they decide they need to pick up a little fertilizer for the garden! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.