Popular Tags: [View All]
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife played this game earlier in the month at IndyCon and she loved it. It is somewhat uncommon for my wife to actively want and seek a game out. We tried to find it all of the local(ish) game stores, and when they did not have it we ordered it. Now that we have both played it, does this game score big points or get locked out?

Game Overview
In this game players compete to win by scoring the most points. Players have a score sheet that has numbers 2 through 12 in four different colors. The first two colors are 2 to 12 and the second two rows are 12 to 2. On a player's turn they will roll two white dice and four colored dice. All players can take what was rolled on the white dice and cross of the appropriate number in one of the rows. So for example if a 3 is rolled on two white dice, then everyone could cross a three off. The rolling player then may add the white dice to one of the numbered dice to cross of another number.

The trick though, is a number can only be crossed of if a number further to the left has not been crossed off. This means that if a number is skipped by a player they can not go back to it. When a player has crossed off five numbers in a row, they may lock it and that die is removed. If a player does not want to cross off any numbers on their turn, they may cross off a skip box which will give negative five points.

When two dice are locked or when a player crosses off all four of their boxes the game ends. Depending how many numbers a player crosses off in a row determines how many points they score.

Our Thoughts
As a reminder we rate games on our own 5 point scale. When our scores are added together, it is where we as a couple theoretically rate the game on the BGG 10 point scale.

My Rating: 2.5 (do not care for)
My Thoughts: Like most themeless dice rolling games I find this a bit boring. I like push your luck games a bit, but this does not have a push your luck aspect. It is really a bit of a gambling game, as there is a risk/reward ratio between skipping multiple numbers in hope of crossing off more boxes and ending the game faster. Really though, that is just hoping on future luck. The game is quick, but it is also not all that exciting.

Her Rating: 4 (like it)
Her Thoughts: This is my kind of game! Rolling dice is just a fun thing to do, and I especially like how this game provides so many options. Every turn I get to compare each die and see what the best decision is. This game is also really fast to play so after it is over, I want to play again.

Verdict
Combined Rating: 6.5
While it is uncommon that my wife wants to buy a game, it is even rarer that she actively wants an expansion for a game. However, that is the case here. If Qwixx gemixxt ever gets a US release, she will be all over getting it. That means that this is a game that is here to stay for us.

originally posted at: Too Many Games!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves this game too. She is a fan of almost every quick filler type game we have played, i.e. Qwixx, Biblios, For Sale, Monopoly Deal, Jaipur, Love Letter, Sushi Go.
My wife likes longer games too, but sometimes she is just brain tired and wants something quick and fun to play.
I like Qwixx a lot too. I always seem to enjoy playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Jackson
United States
La Center
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves this game as well. We just bought it recently and it is a great little dice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.