Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my [WIP] entry for the 2015 Two-Player Print-and-Play Game Design Contest!

CONTEST THREAD:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1311550/2015-two-player-pnp-...

Title: ROLL FOR THE TOURNAMENT!

# of players: 2 to 4 players

Game Time: 10+ min for each event

Components:
[8] Green dice
[8] Blue dice
[8] Red dice
[8] Black dice
[12] White dice

[6] Yellow Cubes

[3] Lists on 8.5"x11" PDF game boards

Roll for the Tournament is a quick Yatzee style DICE game about Knights competing in a Grand Tournament. Each Knight will compete in[3] "Events": Jousting, Melee with Swords, Melee with clubs on horseback. The winner is the Knight with the most victory points and will be crowned Tournament Champion.

Each of the three events earns the Knights victory points which will be tallied at the end to decide the Champion.

The rules "so far" and the game boards are in Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/flsby6omz6za144/AAAfIy7-RSUbqhfDA...

1st Event: JOUSTING

In this event two Knights will charge [3] times at one another on horseback down a list and try to unhorse each other for the match. Depending on your rolls you will try to maintain your accuracy and stay of target with your lance to obtain an unhorsing or broken lance. You earn points by unhorsing your opponent - 10 points, breaking a lance - 3 points, and winning the match - 5 points.

2nd Event: Melee with Swords

Some initial 4-player testing on the new board.

In this event up to 4 Knights will compete in a list with a sword and try to knock out their opponents. You accomplish this by getting the best combinations of rolls and scoring the most hits. Each Knight has the ability to defend himself and block as many of the hits as possible. Any hits not blocked will result in damage. Go below 1 health and your Knight is knocked out. Only the last two standing will earn victory points.

3rd Event: Melee on Horseback

In this event up to 4 Knights will complete in a list with Clubs and on horseback. Your Knight must knock out all other knights to win. You not only have to knock your opponents out of the competition but you have to be able to control your horse to do it!

Each turn you see if you have full control of your horse and are able to maneuver your horse into the correct position to attack your opponent. You might lose control of your horse and if you hit your opponents horse you will have points deducted!

You only have certain hexes you can attack while on your mount so being able to maneuver your horse into the right position will make the difference of you attacking or getting attacked!

Have fun and please let me know what you think so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Roll for the Tournament! - A Microgame contest submission
The play through video is now up in Dropbox.

I hope this helps.

The games are pretty quick actually so I'll be changing the game time down to 10 to 15min for three runs or a single match.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi5h8760pbkhf5t/Roll%20for%20the%2...

Enjoy,

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the new WIP game board for the SWORD event.

Some initial play testing on the new board.

This is the initial setup for a 4 player game!

I should have the rules up soon.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rules and game board are uploaded into my Dropbox.

These are the game rules for the Sword Event in Roll for the Tournament!

It's a quick 2 to 4 player sub-game for RftT!

Again, this is a Yatzee style dice game.

Please check it out and let me know what you think of the rules.

There is a quick reference chart for the roll on the last sheet of the rules.

Joseph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the final event for Roll for the Tournament!

It's the Horse Melee arena.

In this event you not only have to knock your opponent out of the competition but you have to be able to control your horse to do it!

Each turn you see if you have full control of your horse and are able to maneuver your horse into the correct position to attack your opponent.

You only have certain hexes you can attack while on your mount so being able to maneuver your horse into the right position will make the difference of you attacking or getting attacked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to let everyone know I've pulled my entry from the Microgame contest and re-entered it into the 2015 PnP 2-player Design Contest!

Thanks for following my game.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job Joeseph! I'm really starting to become a fan of your dice games. I love the mechanics of 19th hole as well and now this seems very nice. Subscribed and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T hardy wrote:
Nice job Joeseph! I'm really starting to become a fan of your dice games. I love the mechanics of 19th hole as well and now this seems very nice. Subscribed and good luck!

Thanks Tom,

The funny thing about game design and this game is my family was staying with friends and we only had Yatzee to play at night so the more I played Yatzee, the more my mind kept seeing a possible new game idea forming. So with all the dice rolling I did playing Yatzee and the natural love I have of anything medieval... well a new game was born and I'm having a great time designing it! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the final version of the ARENA layout for the Sword event.

The PDF is in the Dropbox folder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the final version of the Jousting arena!

This file has been uploaded into the Dropbox folder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the final version of the Club Melee arena!

The new file has been uploaded into the Dropbox folder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

Roll for the Tournament is now Rules and Component ready!

I have all the latest and updated arena sheets and rules for each event up in Dropbox!

I've made some new rules changes for each event and updated each of the three arena sheets.

Please check out the games and let me know what you think!

Have fun!

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I just wanted to put a question out to those that have been following this game and ask "What do you think I should use as the background for the game boards?"

I've been messing around with different back drops that would go around the actual game board and the latest version has a parchment under the game board. I'm not complete happy with this look and was wondering what you guys think and what you would recommend.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I had enough dice to play this, looks like fun. That's 44d6 if my math isn't off, which is entirely possible.

As far as the backdrop goes, I feel like extending the grass and having the dice places be fan seating or judge chairs would be cool. What's the point in fighting for glory with nobody to witness it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arseface wrote:
I wish I had enough dice to play this, looks like fun. That's 44d6 if my math isn't off, which is entirely possible.

As far as the backdrop goes, I feel like extending the grass and having the dice places be fan seating or judge chairs would be cool. What's the point in fighting for glory with nobody to witness it!

Now that's a great idea! thanks I'll see what I can come up with!

And yes, that's 44 dice but only if you play all 4 players!

A lot less, if you only play with 2 or 3!

If anyone is wondering, I use the dice that came with the game "Dice Crawl" mainly because of the size, plus they have all the colors I need and look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on the Tabletop simulator mod so stay tuned and if interested let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got received my 400 dice in 4 different colors I will print this off tomorrow night and have a go at it with the kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To help save on the number of dice used for this game I'm creating bases for the dice in the games: Melee with Sword and Melee on Horseback!

I'm making four paper bases that you can put on card stock that will look similar to the area background but will have an facing arrow for forward direction. All you need to do is place your die on the tile and move as a group.

This will save you from having to use 12 dice!!!

Coming soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I never received one play tested comment regarding this game. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.