Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So ... there is an updated set of Tournament Rules:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a1/57...
VERSION 1.0.1 / UPDATED 3.30.2015

I really hope this is just a sloppy update mistake since it seems to only intend to fix the "3rd Party Playmat" rule", BUT ...

In this set of rules there is no more mention of 180 or 400 point tournaments.

This worries me to quite some extent, since the only reason I got a second core set rather than wait for Wave 1 for more material was that I consider 3 Vics feasible at 400 points.
At 300 points ... no way and then getting a second core becomes a pretty large waste of money.

If it is not a mistake, I do feel a bit cheated. Any thoughts?

Edit: As hoped, it was an honest mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH, they probably just said, "remove that provision for now, Wave 2 is going to be a while. We'll add in the 400 point provision before Wave 2 comes out". But there could be legitimate concerns for tournaments of 400 points, taking up 6' x 3' table space and taking 2.5 hours each round with probably 30 minutes between rounds. So, I guess it is possible that they are looking at the footprint of the game and the length of a 400-pt game and coming to the conclusion that perhaps it is just too much.

Only time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Any mention of the current 180 pt tournament size is also gone. Its just 300 pts. So did someone miss the memo, or did they do away with it expecting us not to notice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Bohr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you mean...I have a copy of the first edition of the tournament rules, in the new version, it says 300 instead of 180, and they pasted a picture over the section that talked about the future of Armada in tourneys (the 300/400 pt matches).

I get the idea that maybe these rules should have been released when wave 1 was released instead of now...as 300 points should have been the limit for when wave 1 was released....maybe they have tipped their hats that wave 1 is being released early????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Bohr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update...
Sent a Rules Question Request to FFG about this. If I get a response, i will post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Fienberg
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Tournament rules version 1.0.1 also has updated margins of victory to reflect the 300 points games (most brackets increased by 50-100%).

Since there are unlikely to be official tournaments before wave 1 releases, and this doesn't actually affect people's ability to arrange 180 point tournaments, I'm not sure how much I think the change will affect things.

I think we should still expect the points limit to go up to 400 with wave 2, but we can't know for sure. The concerns that cmontgo2 posted are legitimate ones.

It's possible they were just uncomfortable about making statements about their intentions about future rules changes, which I would understand, and actually think is a more sustainable model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Torres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The unexpected rollback in Tournament rules is an unintended error on our part. The final, corrected document should be posted by close of business today (Thursday, April 2nd). I will post a direct link to the document after it has gone live.

FYI, the 180 and 400 point tournaments are absolutely going to remain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would think they would have this stuff nailed down before release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Torres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The corrected Star Wars: Armada Tournament Rules (v1.0.2) are now live on the FFG website. Again, this was not intended. It was a document versioning error.

To all commanders who take part in Star Wars: Armada organized play - best of luck!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/26/let-the...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

well, you'd think all errors would be corrected before they're errors but that would invalidate the usefulness of the word "error" which is sort of mean to a poor little word
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not used to FFG posting directly to the BGG forums, that was kind of weird. But awesome also.

Thanks Anton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting Anton! Appreciate you taking the time to explain the error
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

well, you'd think all errors would be corrected before they're errors but that would invalidate the usefulness of the word "error" which is sort of mean to a poor little word

Ask any software developer, version control is a complex task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.