Subject: Do friendly models block LOS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This is probably a dumb question. No flames are necessary . . . I know I'm dumb.

I couldn't find an answer already listed either here or on FFG website. That doesn't mean it's not there. Just means I couldn't find it.

I also don't have the rulebook. My friend owns the game.

Do friendly models block line of sight in Descent? Can friendly models "shoot" through other friendly models to hit enemy models? I'm asking from both player and Overlord point of view.

I think the answer is "yes, they do block line of sight, even from friendly models" but I saw something on a player-made aid somewhere that suggests otherwise.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Yes.
Unless you play the asshole "shot my friends in the back of the head" variant.

Which is what we play on our xbox games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the others are correct. To quote Page 10 of the Rulebook:

"Line of sight is blocked by walls, closed doors, other figures, and blocking obstacles. Thus you cannot, for instance, shoot directly through one monster to hit another monster behind it."

Using the phrase "other figures" definitely does not differentiate between enemy and friendly figures. Of course you could shout DUCK! and hope your allies get out of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Using the phrase "other figures" definitely does not differentiate between enemy and friendly figures. Of course you could shout DUCK! and hope your allies get out of the way.

Which . . . is actually how friendly LOS aiming DOES work in some combat systems I've played. It was like that in Warhammer 40k (3rd edition at least . . . I think they may have changed that for 4th edition).

All these diff't systems can really start to get confusing in an old man's head. 30 is old, right?

Thanks for the timely answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thirty is old...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: when the Overlord is spawning new monsters, monsters currently on the board do NOT block line of site. Thus monsters must be spawned around a corner some where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do figures block for purposes of the teleporting wizard's special ability?

What they needed to differentiate is Line of Sight vs Line of Fire. Instead they have only 'Line of Sight, but then they create exceptions to the rule (like with monster spawning).

Is the teleport another exception or can he not teleport past friendly/enemy figures?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:
Do figures block for purposes of the teleporting wizard's special ability?

Is the teleport another exception or can he not teleport past friendly/enemy figures?

not sure... are these teleporting wizards in the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.