Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that an official Thor might be coming down the pipe due to the Thrown Weapon obviously made for his hammer, but, until then, I feel like the only official Thor we currently have needs to be updated.

THOR
Affiliation: Avengers

Common 1

"If He Be Worthy"
Type: Strength
Printed: 3+ Recruit
Cost: 4

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs 5 or more, draw it, otherwise discard it. If you discard an Avengers Hero this way, you get +2 Recruit.

He gets serious if his Avengers need him and since it's a higher return, it is a team affiliated condition rather than color, because I don't think he would care if Iceman or Groot are discarded (blue/green).

"If He Be Worthy"
Printed: 2 Recruit
Cost: 3

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs 5 or more, draw it, if not, discard it.

Thor is powerful without Mjolnir, but he's at his best with it at hand. With this card, I picture him extending his arm, waiting for the hammer to answer his summons. That is, if he is worthy.

Common 2

"Mjolnir"
Type: Ranged
Printed: ---
Cost: 5

Thrown Artifact - When you throw this, you get +1 Attack for each Strength and each Ranged Hero you have played this turn. (if a hero has both, count it twice)

Fear Itself's Hulk is already doing the +2 per Strength Hero, and I didn't want Thor to be the +2 per Ranged, leaving that option for someone completely relying on Ranged. So Thor gets more versatility, and can play nice with at least two color types of Avengers.

Uncommon

"Lightning Bolt"
Type: Ranged
Printed: 2+ Attack
Cost: 5

If you have an artifact in play, you get +2 attack.
Any villain on the Rooftops this turn, gets -2 attack.

Storm's lightning strike effect fits him perfectly. This is a card that hopefully makes you think about leaving Mjolnir in front of you for a bit longer or just makes you giddy upon seeing a nasty villain moving to the rooftops.

Rare

"The Mighty Thor"
Printed: 5 Attack
Cost: 8

Your Strength Heroes also count as Ranged Heroes and viceversa this turn.

(Avengers) Draw the top or bottom card of your deck.

The rare is a booster for Mjolnir shenanigans.
---

As always, I'm open to suggestions and if it looks fine, (awesome cards with pictures posted later in this page!) anybody is welcome to bring him to life with their GIMP and/or Photoshop skills.

Whatcha think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this Thor better than the base game's recruit heavy version. But that leads me to my biggest concern, you have a lot of very expensive cards and almost no ways to recruit them (off this character itself).

I would probably change Mjolnir's cost to 4. Also, changing If He Be Worthy to something similar. You could state that if the revealed card is ranged or strength draw it? That would fit well with your theme and accomplish a similar (albeit stronger/too strong) effect. Or maybe it only draws ranged cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
How about change it to "Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is ranged, draw it, otherwise you may discard it."

I personally prefer the current incarnation though. Maybe bump up the cost of the recruiter to 4 or 5 and give it more recruit, maybe a drawback?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments!

So, the recruit is a concern and I see that.

I'm not too sure on making Mjolnir a 4 because I have a feeling within this set, it is better than 4-cost Kuurth's (+2 attack) and Mul/Nul/whatever-his-green-name-is (+2 per STR).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I really like it at cost 5, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common 1

"If He Be Worthy"
Printed: 3+ Recruit
Cost: 4

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs 5 or more, draw it, otherwise discard it. If you discard an Avengers Hero this way, you get +2 Recruit.

---

How's this?

He gets serious if his Avengers need him and since it's a higher return, it is a team affiliated condition rather than color, because I don't think he would care if Iceman or Groot are discarded (blue/green).

Any better ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Go for it. I will be printing these as soon as they are cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthPinkHippo wrote:
Go for it. I will be printing these as soon as they are cards!

Good to hear!

Hopefully someone like droideka (hint hint) helps me out on the graphics department!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: No need for proxies, great cards shown below!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has always hated the base set Thor (hated is too strong a word....but no one would pick him except me as no on else would pick him and I felt sorry for him). And as stated earlier, with the new Throw mechanic now in play, the time is right!

These effects look just about right. The draw from the bottom with the Throw artifact is perfect for Thor!!

I don't have a lot off time just right now (you know, those pesky life things, like work) but I have made a draft version Uncommon and Rare for you to check out (I can see some spacing issues on the rare and missing the STR icon, that I'll fix up). I have also made Common1 but have not done the graphics yet. The commons actually take longer to make as the extra border impacts on how you position/present the graphics.

EDIT: Fixed Rare, replaced image in Uncommon, added Common1 & 2.
EDIT: Fixed UNCOMMON typo, Added alternative Common1 & Uncommon for play testing

COMMON1:

COMMON1 ALT:

COMMON2:

UNCOMMON:

UNCOMMON ALT:

RARE:

If you have graphics you would like, shoot me a link, it will actually save me time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are awesome!

Oh yeah, image collecting is my specialty!

Pick whichever you like best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, ready for proof reading.....

Updated in my earlier post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome

Effects are what really makes a card set work. The images help enhance the theme. These effects have some good combo possibilities...I wanna get the Rare and the Common2 together

I am gonna try these this weekend and I'll report back next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Master Database.

Loving the new Thor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first game with him, I was fighting the Avengers adversary group and guess who comes out and KO's the Thor Rare in the HQ? Thor himself. Gah!!!

I defeated Evil Thor later on, and with delight!

Bastard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel his Uncommon is a little weak. I might bump it to 3+. The recruit common should probably be a 2* or a 5 cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
I feel his Uncommon is a little weak. I might bump it to 3+. The recruit common should probably be a 2* or a 5 cost.

UNCOMMON

I just noticed the uncommon has a typo in "artifiact".

The uncommon is not as snazzy, but it does give you 6 attack for 5 against Rooftops villain that's better than Storm's 4 for 4.

It also gives you something to do while waiting for the hammer's best combo.

Greithoth does match the 3 for 3 if an artifact is in play, but her throw is recruit-based. She's the only one so far that refers to her artifact "while in play".

I mean this is Thor, we could bump his printed attack or his boost.

Which way is better, peeps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMMON

Hmmm...comparable cases of commons:

Spider-Woman
2 cost, 3 recruit
To play this card, you must put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

Thor
3 cost, 2+ recruit
(Strength) +2 recruit

Moon Knight
3 cost, 2+ recruit
Wall-Crawl
(Instinct) +1 Recruit

This Thor
4 cost, 3+ recruit

ADVANTAGES
Highest printed recruit among official commons, as they usually max at 2+.

DISADVANTAGES
Not a team player unless that team is high-cost Avengers.

Will reveal and discard all of Spider-Friends and low-level heroes like Marvel Knights. He ain't interested in cheap cards.

So he can't combo well with low-costers.

OVERALL
His common gives great recruit points, but he is Thor.

Is it still too much?

My original version had low recruit but there was concern for not scaling well to recruit the 5-cost Mjolnir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always difficult trying to keep things balanced and at the same time differentiate between sets.

Added the possible alternative in my earlier post for you/others to try and report back. Also fixed that typo that you missed earlier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Droideka_D84 wrote:
Always difficult trying to keep things balanced and at the same time differentiate between sets.

Added the possible alternative in my earlier post for you/others to try and report back. Also fixed that typo that you missed earlier

Thanks! That was damn quick!

And sorry, I should fire myself as proofreader!

I think I'm happy with the boost of the uncommon and the nerfing of the common.

The more I think about what Dan pointed out of the common, the more it bothers me. I don't want it to have printed 3+, but I do want their usefulness in acquiring Mjolnir, so at least two it's all you need to get it.

It is not too weak as a 4-cost, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
COMMON

Spider-Woman
2 cost, 3 recruit

Thor
3 cost, 2+ recruit
(Strength) +2 recruit

Moon Knight
3 cost, 2+ recruit
Wall-Crawl
(Instinct) +1 Recruit

This Thor
4 cost, 3+ recruit

ADVANTAGES

DISADVANTAGES

Will reveal and discard all of Spider-Friends and low-level heroes like Marvel Knights. He ain't interested in cheap cards.

OVERALL

Is it still too much?

My original version had low recruit but there was concern for not scaling well to recruit the 5-cost Mjolnir.

One of Mr. Fantastic's commons has a 5-cost recruit also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the changes are good. There will always be an agent, officer, or some other Hero to help with the REC. This game is about combos and that's what commons are for

If you wanted to make the Uncommon "special" (but may make it too complicated or messy), is if the artifact is his hammer it is worth more ATT than if it is any other type of artifact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Droideka_D84 wrote:
I think the changes are good. There will always be an agent, officer, or some other Hero to help with the REC. This game is about combos and that's what commons are for

If you wanted to make the Uncommon "special" (but may make it too complicated or messy), is if the artifact is his hammer it is worth more ATT than if it is any other type of artifact.

Yeah, thanks.

I try to not to specify too much on card combos, plus I want Thor to grab the fake hammers too and bring the lightning show.

They sure have gotten wordy on the Villains side of things though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
okami31 wrote:
COMMON

Spider-Woman
2 cost, 3 recruit

Thor
3 cost, 2+ recruit
(Strength) +2 recruit

Moon Knight
3 cost, 2+ recruit
Wall-Crawl
(Instinct) +1 Recruit

This Thor
4 cost, 3+ recruit

ADVANTAGES

DISADVANTAGES

OVERALL

Is it still too much?

One of Mr. Fantastic's commons has a 5-cost recruit also.

Yeah, the two-cards drawer with no printed value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.