Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, all.

I'm working on a Patchistory FAQ for the StuntKite website.

I'm mining the threads here for questions, and have some of my own to put up. But I'm wondering if you all have any pressing questions, or questions you feel absolutely should be in an FAQ.

What rules were confusing for you and/or your group? Were there certain tiles that were confusing? What could you have used clarification on during your first game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
One thing we did wrong in our second (!) game (and that was because it happened some time after the first one) was that we didn't assign a worker to our terrain tiles after the first auction. I knew it was weird not to but I checked and rechecked the rules for the set up and could not find it there. Our mistake of course, but putting only in the middle of the rulebook a rule that applies only to the first turn is quite confusing. Some kind of preminder would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, that rule is a problem. And this isn't the first time I've heard that. It can't really go in Set Up (where it would never be missed) because you actually do it after you patch your first tile.

I want to rearrange the rule book some when we do another printing. And fix two glaring errors.

Oh, I just thought of a way. Put it in Set Up, but just have players set aside the Worker(s). Then when they patch the first time, put them wherever. Probably never happens again if it's in Set Up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Well, I have a question regarding the wonder Forbidden Palace. It lowers your military by three, so for the purposes of comparing military strenght during aggressions, your minimum value is Zero, right?

But what happens if you have a lower than zero score when a war is declared and you want to temporarily raise your strenght by spending ore? Do you have to first spend ore to negate the negative modifier before going above zero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question!

Correct in the first part. Your minimum value when comparing is zero.

Buuuuuut, you can have a negative value that will need to be made up for before getting into the positive. This is true whether you gain those Swords from tiles or from Resources, which act as Swords for purposes of War.

You have to make up that deficit first, whether it's through Swords or Resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Thanks, that was what I assumed in the game, but I really had my doubts

it could be a good thing to clarify that on the FAQ, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Banzai Charge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe my group and I missed it but some tiles have a little white star icon on them? What does that mean? Couldn't find it anywhere in the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean,

Do you have one of the original 50 units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the white star is the one that means that the ability is used during the production phase. See here: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2486587/patchistory?size=ori... the leader has the white star, it means that he produces one coin for every transport level during the production phase.

edit: this rewrite of the rules https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/96778/capoeiristas-rules-... was a big help for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions:
1) patched water rooms cannot be adjacent. This means only "orthogonally adjacent" (up, down, left and right) or also that two water rooms cannot be "diagonally adjacent"?
2) Once a worker on a trade route is in the "rest" place (because you moved it or because you had to put it there), when that worker is moved from the "rest" place to a terrain tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be more clear on question 1 (Two seas that touches themselves by a corner are adjacent or not?), if I have the tiles:

AA
AS

and

BB
BS

I know that I cannot do (because the two seas are surely adjacent):

AA
AS
BS

But can I do:

AA
ASB
BS

I think I can, but I'm not sure that the corner is not adjacent...

edit: here there is the answer https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1317354/adjacent-seas
it is possible, the seas cannot be orthogonally adjacent

-------------

Regarding question 2, I've found that the worker go on a terrain tile at the end of the movement phase AFTER the movement phase where he went to the "rest" place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
ereasoner wrote:
Yah, that rule is a problem. And this isn't the first time I've heard that. It can't really go in Set Up (where it would never be missed) because you actually do it after you patch your first tile.

I want to rearrange the rule book some when we do another printing. And fix two glaring errors.

Oh, I just thought of a way. Put it in Set Up, but just have players set aside the Worker(s). Then when they patch the first time, put them wherever. Probably never happens again if it's in Set Up.

How about putting it in the special rules for the first auction? We also missed it last night and it led to a weird game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
smok wrote:
How about putting it in the special rules for the first auction? We also missed it last night and it led to a weird game.
That's where it is already, isn't it? It's on page 9, immediately below the rules for the first Auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the FAQ ready?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a game, and doing some rule re-reading and forums searching, I came up with this list of clarifications:

--You may patch a new tile so that it sits above some tiles and below others.

--The black Industry building still counts as a General Building (p. 3).

--What counts as "reclaimed" squares? Only brown tiles that are currently showing, e.g., those that have a brown square counter on top (p.10).

--Statue of Liberty: only affects the maximum size of your civilization (p. 8)--e.g., 7x7. The other rules of patching still apply.

--On Prosperity cards, a symbol like "food" or "victory points" means your current rate of accruing these items, not how many you have on hand.

--If you gain or lose Transportation during movement, your movement rate isn't affected for that phase. (p. 11, 2nd column, 4th bullet).

--Gold-edged boxes are never found on Heroes or Wonders or Special Buildings. (Sometimes the border color of the boxes on Heroes and Wonders were hard to discern.)

--Cog symbols on tiles mean you gain this during each production phase.

--Christopher Columbus: A worker is lost, but in lieu of it coming from your Descendant track it can instead come from your tiles.

--William Shakespeare: "CUL" = purple culture buildings (p. 3).

--Napoleon Bonaparte: Threaten will always succeed immediately after a successful war, but to get the +5 bonus you have to earn it.

--Che Geuvara: although he pegs your purple action points to 6, it doesn't affect the number of book symbols you have (e.g., like for Prosperity Cards). [Not an official answer, but a guess.]

--"Threaten" on heroes and wonders implies success (otherwise you would not do it, as there is no hidden information regarding this action).

--Pope John Paul II: "until your next turn" means "until the start of the Round in which you are next the starting player". [??]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of games, I still have a few questions:

1. No "free worker" is provided in the two player game, after the first patching? (Just a clarification)
2. If a construction action gives a player an extra political point (purple), does that increase happen immediately (on the same management step), or not until the next round?
3. If I patch over Timbuktu, I lose the trade route benefit. Do I also lose the trade route that was constructed when I originally patched the tile (I think not, but this is a check)

The clarifications on what is counted for each prosperity card (from Capoeirista's rewrite) was hugely important. Just listing "food" (for example) was confusing (production rate, production rate including trade routes, current stockpile?), as an example. Similarly, spelling out how each hero and wonder worked was very helpful.

I also think it would be helpful to reiterate that when a sea area has been reclaimed, then it may be patched over or under (essentially it is no longer water).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Columbus, when you "forfeit a descendant", what does that mean? Do you return a worker from your board to the decendant track or is it removed from the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had some confusion about the exchange action.
For each transport you have can you exchange 2 gold for 2 food or vice versa? Or is it only 1 to 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nonamnon wrote:
We had some confusion about the exchange action.
For each transport you have can you exchange 2 gold for 2 food or vice versa? Or is it only 1 to 1.

You exchange ONE type of good for any other type of food. You can perform it X times where X = number of transport

Coin -> Food is 1 to 1 (or vice versa)

So if your TRA was 3, you could exchange 3 food for 3 coins. If you only have 1 TRA, then it's only 1 food for 1 coin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidb3 wrote:
For Columbus, when you "forfeit a descendant", what does that mean? Do you return a worker from your board to the decendant track or is it removed from the game?

according to the stuntkite 1.3 file on bgg, you remove a descendant from your reference board -> out of the game. This will increase your worker maintenance cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ereasoner wrote:
Hey, all.

I'm working on a Patchistory FAQ for the StuntKite website.

I'm mining the threads here for questions, and have some of my own to put up. But I'm wondering if you all have any pressing questions, or questions you feel absolutely should be in an FAQ.

What rules were confusing for you and/or your group? Were there certain tiles that were confusing? What could you have used clarification on during your first game?

Thanks!

Is this still in the works?

Played first game and had a lot of questions. Looking at the 2 major rules files on BGG here, there were inconsistencies between them in some sections.

The most recent 3 page guide was really good tho, I wish I got that one because it was really tough to search through the rule book for certain things.

Questions that came up:
What does X/Y leader & wonder do. I used the 1.32 guide here for some of them but they could be clearer

How does the Voting work and what is scored by each card?

What does the gear symbol on certain leaders mean (we looked it up here)

Do trade routes go away? (doesn't seem like it, even if you ally)

If Player A has a trade route to Player B, can player B threaten A? can player B give aid to A?

Explanation of what happens to the worker at the end of a trade route/ally.

Is there a limit to reducing political actions for certain management actions? (can you reduce to 0?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.