Subject: Two Two-Player Sessions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuma Noid
Switzerland
Dachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i, we, finaly got to play WoK. although only with two players so far.
first i have to admit, that we did an awful lot of mistakes, that actualy werent disturbing the flow of the first play. that said, we played out of a rather spontaneous mood and the rules-memory was not that fresh anymore.
but. we enjoyed it a lot.

i was a bit skeptical about the twoplayer setup and all, as many games that have similarities tend to be not that much fun with only two players. playing two factions each does not normaly mend this, as it results normaly in a tagteam slugfest with shady deals between the two faction of a player.

after some bickering about who plays which color and which mapside to use ect. we went for a slightly free interpreted version. we picked the winter-side and set up with two factions each on opposing boardsides (wolf and stag vs. snake and lion).
my concerns werent disproved, but it was fun. both players love to build their realms and dig through their ressourcecards and such. and the session turned out more to be a economic game with very few battles.

this is what i dislike most in twoplayer sessions of "this kind" of game. you wont battle between your own factions, except maybe in the endgame to get the victorypoints to the "better" faction, which is a shady practice at best. and you dont go for one of the other realms, except when your are already dominating, because the chance that you start an allout war is so much bigger then with more players.
we had a few battles with maladorians, but more because the wolf player was cut off in his corner and had to fight his way out. awarding victorypoint for battles fought7won would be great, especially in twoplayer sessions.
in the last round it all came down to calculating the chance of victory in the construction phase, and then trying to hold on ones own territories with the "winning" realm, and bashing the winner-candidate of the other player with the own "kingmaker" realm, and vice versa.
thats sounds not terribly fun, but it actually was. from time to time we like those economic-victory nailbitters.

then we got to the second try, and this was more a heavily modified scenario, than a retry within the normal rules.
on the summerboard, the coastterritories where overrun by the maladorian warhosts, only two barons remained to stem the tide of dragonbanners. we had a "not very stable" spawn and movement rule for the warhosts. which resulted in two-army hordes moving from the coast inward. random movement (those ressourcecolors come in handy for this..) at first and direct action if player settlement came into view of the marauders. sounded manageable but it was hard, very hard. i almost got wiped out in turn 4. the main factor was that marauder horde coming down on my core-settlements, but to my frustration also a chain of unfavourable dicerolls over 2 or three turns. i dont think this is reproducable (or i hope its not) or reflects a flaw in the game, but i can happen.. bad (for my wolves) ressource rolls, the loss of a settlement and all armies in one go, bad event-die rolls (no combatcards just maladorians) mounted up to a morale crippling amount of frustration.
i was impressed, that such disaster could not cripple my realm. i have played games, where this situation would have meant that i'm done. but i was within 1 VP of the other player after two more turns and had a prosperous realm ready to throw the marauders back into the sea. meanwhile the other player realm lost a fortified town and around 4 armies themselfs, and shivvered on the brink of destruction. marauders allover his place.. and he recovered too. that is very, very nicely designed, as i guess this has something to do with the mechanics and not with poor luck (bad ressourcerolls continued, reliable as they are..)

it was much more fun, haveing a common enemy, that pushed quite hard on us. it was not realy a coop session, but instead of fighting noone until the last few turns, we had fighting, and tense moments. i'd like to have some proper rules for two-player games with the malador doing marauderstuff to a much bigger extent than in the normal games.

as a fazit this:
i like the game a lot so far, even with its flaws regarding small player number. i'm looking forward to play it with more players, as i think most of the issues we had will get irrelevant with 4, 5 or 6 players.

we rotated the leadplayer in the first session, and it was ok. noone had the feeling that he got trampled on, when in his "unfavorable turn". this may be working better for twoplayer games with two factions each, as it would with more players.
also we handled the central mountain on the wintermap as impassable, and it was irrelevant too. i'm not sure if i got the original rules right, but thinking of it afterwards we would probaly play it like this again.

we surly will tinker with variants and little chances here and there to make it funnier for two. some new eventcards and other uses for the malador and their cards and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath R
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i like the game a lot so far, even with its flaws regarding small player number. i'm looking forward to play it with more players, as i think most of the issues we had will get irrelevant with 4, 5 or 6 players.

I am so glad to hear it. Seth and I have played a lot two player games. In fact, some of our two player games have been very intense. We are also very competitive with each other so that amplified the tension.

Quote:
we surly will tinker with variants and little chances here and there to make it funnier for two. some new eventcards and other uses for the malador and their cards and such.

Please let us know what you come up with. I've love to read about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.