Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion and signup thread. Please read rest of post first to make sure this game is right for you.

Play details

Game: 4-player standard base game.

Pace: Standard - at least 1 post every 24 hours. Just notify me / the thread when you will have delays.

Experience: Players with only 1 or 2 plays under their belt. If you have 0 plays, you can join as long as you agree to watch both of these videos and read the instructions (which are entertaining and really provide a great understanding of the game). I also highly recommend that you attempt the training scenarios, as they are fantastic.
* Rahdo runs through Dungeon Lords
* Dungeon Lords walkthrough
* http://czechgames.com/en/dungeon-lords/downloads/

Please note: My 10-yr old son will be playing (under my 13-yr old son's new acct). You will have to take my word that I will not be helping him. (He won't need it - but we have only played 2-player, so he is inexperienced with 4.) ALSO, one of my co-workers is playing; he has done the training dungeons and will have his first play next week in real life. (I wouldn't want to help him for sure ) If any of this might bother you (esp if one of them wins, which seems quite possible), please wait for the next pbf game.

Sign up: Post in this thread that you are interested and that you meet the criteria. Use this thread for any non-game discussion: rules clarification, the weather, side comments. Non-player comments welcome!

Geekmails: Send all game related correspondance with subject using this format (examples):
DL PBF54 Season 1 Winter - Orders - Yellow
DL PBF54 Season 2 Spring - Combat 1 - Blue

Orders: I will post updated player, progress, and main boards. Once all orders are in via gm, I will post updated player boards and main board. Each players posts order resolution; clearly identify changes to imps, food, evil, etc. I will send trap and combat cards names via gm. You will need a copy of the physical game, as i will send only card names for traps and combat cards spying. Rinse and repeat.

Combat: Post traps and monsters chosen for the next combat round publicly (but preferably inside spoiler tags). Once I have revealed the combat card, summarize your combat. Rinse and repeat.

Important links:
Game thread:
Rules: http://czechgames.com/en/dungeon-lords/downloads/
FAQ: http://czechgames.com/en/dungeon-lords/faq/

Players:
bobacho (green)
sadsumit (red)
repthrd (blue)
mr fan (yellow?)

Props and GG for the great moderating tool to
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have more like 4-5 plays under my belt but I am interested. I have never done a play by forum before so that is new to me. I love the game and during the week I am on BGG frequently. Weekends might be tougher, but I am willing to make the commitment.

PS I love blue if its available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a total of four plays with my son and daughter, who are either side of your son in age. And I have yet to win. So, if you're short on players fully matching the criteria, I'd love to join in.

I play with red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, let's go with the both of you. I'm particularly sympathetic to mr fan, who has modded DL games and plays with his kids (the only way i've played so far). Maybe the next one will be a noobs game.

I will set up game thread. I am trying to revise the cyberboard slightly, so i probably won't start the game until Sat evening.

Please be sure to subscribe to both this thread and the game thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much appreciated! As red is taken, I've checked in as yellow in the thread. Really looking forward to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have all our imps run away or can I just not see them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrfan wrote:
have all our imps run away or can I just not see them?

SirWashington wrote:
each of you has 3 imps, but they are hiding at present. Rest assured, they will show up when needed.

aka, i forgot to put them on the board. Act as if they are there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just waiting for first round orders from
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is first pbf for all players, so will be a learning exp. PBF gets bogged down when actions pass from one player to the next. DL is great for pbf bec waiting for prev players is often unnecessary.

To minimize disruption:
* try to be explicit as possible.
* if possible, provide contingencies.
* if required, send additional instruction by geekmail. (Or, better yet, be the type of obsessive BGGer that checks and posts frequently. )

E.g., with the room this round, we could have saved a lot of time (had most if not all round 2 orders in already) if i knew already whether Rob wanted the tool shed or not last night. It seems highly likely that he does, but i don't want to reveal the next round of rooms until i know for sure. There are a couple of minor reasons he might not.

So, in this case,
* a good post would be "put room that Green doesn't take on C1" (C1 is the only option, but that's not usually the case).
* Contingency: "if workshop is taken by Green, do not take room."
* If he didn't want to tip his hand about which room he wanted, and wasn't sure he could check back frequently enough (knowing that it would come back to him shortly), he could gm the contingency to me.

Not picking on Rob here (anyone with a DL badge is good by me ), just using it as an example (since i'm checking the pbf and waiting for this one piece of info). On with the show!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about that and during the day I check BGG constantly. Night time not so much, although I did a few times not just that late. Anyway, I will do that next time. I didn't want to give the info because I wasn't sure what was going to happen. Will just geek mail in the future.

Also - I posted my move already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
I thought about that and during the day I check BGG constantly. Night time not so much, although I did a few times not just that late. Anyway, I will do that next time. I didn't want to give the info because I wasn't sure what was going to happen. Will just geek mail in the future.

Also - I posted my move already.

no prob at all, sir. You were technically within the bounds of the pbf posting guidelines.

Sometimes, when there is back-and-forth, then it can drag out though, so i was just offering some tips, as all players are new to pbf.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry for delay getting round 3 up. Rob sent his contingency wrt monster, but then Google drive let me down - didn't sync my files - so i can't update from work. I'll have to post later this evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All orders are in, I will have boards for order resolution later tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green seems to be having some financial difficulties. I'm curious to see whether he goes for the dead letter or abandons the room. It's a shame to have all of those traps and not be able to afford to use them...

Let's see how all of our evildoers fair devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough go on that round, Rob. I see what you were trying to do - if you put gold first, you would still get 2 dead letters, so you went for the bigger payoff. Would have worked except for Green's successful gamble.

Second game in a row that happened with gold. Will be interesting to see if it happens again this round

One thing I'm finding about DL 4-player (only played 4p once, most my exp is watching as mod) is that the ending score is not always an indication of in-game action. At a certain point, if you're not leading, one has to take risks that could go south badly. Finishing second in scoring doesn't always indicate anything vs finishing third or fourth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
Tough go on that round, Rob. I see what you were trying to do - if you put gold first, you would still get 2 dead letters, so you went for the bigger payoff. Would have worked except for Green's successful gamble.

Second game in a row that happened with gold. Will be interesting to see if it happens again this round

One thing I'm finding about DL 4-player (only played 4p once, most my exp is watching as mod) is that the ending score is not always an indication of in-game action. At a certain point, if you're not leading, one has to take risks that could go south badly. Finishing second in scoring doesn't always indicate anything vs finishing third or fourth.

Yea, I honestly have my mind blown that everyone put it first. I was debating putting it 2nd or 3rd as first was not fantastic for me. I took a gamble, but turns out 2nd wouldn't have been any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waiting on summer orders from
bobacho
msg tools
mb
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

bobacho told me he wouldn't be able to do orders until today afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow i really didn't see that traps logjam coming, much less the early rush to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game everyone!

I'm particularly grateful that all players stuck it out and responded quickly even after it became apparent that they weren't likely to win. If there is one criticism of this game, it might be that a person could be out of the running early. That can lead to lower participation, and in pbf, that can be an extreme drag.

Happily, everyone here stayed competitive and responsive, and the game moved along well. I'll be happy to have any of you in future games that I mod!

As frequently happens, the game dished out some harsh turns for some players in the second year, as more gambling has to occur to try to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxes ultimately did me in. 2 orders phases was the difference for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
Taxes ultimately did me in. 2 orders phases was the difference for me.

yes, that was rough! and the blockage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was really fun! Thanks to everyone for playing and of course special thanks to our moderator!

The four player game involves far more psyching out of the other players. So many times I was clutching my head saying nooooo! Why did he do that? If only I'd known I would have done my orders totally differently!

I'm investigating the electronic board software and I hope to be able to moderate a game shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed lurking this one, it's a different beast. I'm happy to provide some advice or analysis if any of the players are curious. I definitely saw some alternative paths for combat that might have been smoother

Congrats to our dual winners!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit Sadekar
United States
NEW YORK
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again to all participants and especially our modertator. I really enjoyed my first PBF here at BGG.

Good game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thenobleknave wrote:
I enjoyed lurking this one, it's a different beast. I'm happy to provide some advice or analysis if any of the players are curious. I definitely saw some alternative paths for combat that might have been smoother

Congrats to our dual winners!

I am always looking for different ways for combat. I know I am not the best at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.