Subject: Several short questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

Several questions or more likely, thing that need to be clarified that arose while playing our first Marvel Heroes games.

- Can an active SuperHero NOT in combat, but in the same district use his Ready Power? That is, if Thing is fighting against Sauron in Financial District, and Invisible Woman is also active, can I use Sue's "Surprise Tactics" ability spending a Resource card?

- Does "discard a Villain Card" means that I cannot discard an AGENT card?
I think not, but...

- Can the Support power be used if the hero is supporting on the board? If so, then I can move a hero to support, troubleshoot an area and then use support ability as an action with Wolverine/Dr. Strange/Mr. fantastic, right?

- Is it right? The "Scheming skill" of Dr. Doom is really a flaw?

- When using henchmen, must I play all the cards I've just drawn or first I draw x cards, then play up to x cards of my hand for free?

- On combat vs. Nemesis, does the supporting heroes count for finding out "the highest level hero"? And the other player's heroes?

- the way the highlights appears, you can NEVER have more than one hightlight per area, right?

- There is no limit to Villain/Resources Cards in hand, right?

I think that's all

Thank you in advance for any answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedes wrote:
- Can an active SuperHero NOT in combat, but in the same district use his Ready Power? That is, if Thing is fighting against Sauron in Financial District, and Invisible Woman is also active, can I use Sue's "Surprise Tactics" ability spending a Resource card?

When you have more than one Hero in the same District, you can alternate them in Combat. In the example above, you could use Thing on the first round, then the Invisible Woman the next, and so on.

But the direct answer to your question is no, you can't use a hero's Ready power on another hero.

Caedes wrote:
- Does "discard a Villain Card" means that I cannot discard an AGENT card?

You can discard it. All black backed cards are Villain cards.

Caedes wrote:
- Can the Support power be used if the hero is supporting on the board? If so, then I can move a hero to support, troubleshoot an area and then use support ability as an action with Wolverine/Dr. Strange/Mr. fantastic, right?

Yes.

Caedes wrote:

Yes.

We balanced the villains on the basis of their atings/abilities/henchmen rating and so on. Von Doom needed a flaw, it is was quite thematic, and made way for one of his Master Plans.

Caedes wrote:
- When using henchmen, must I play all the cards I've just drawn or first I draw x cards, then play up to x cards of my hand for free?

You must play the cards you have drawn. It is an automatic play.

Caedes wrote:
- On combat vs. Nemesis, does the supporting heroes count for finding out "the highest level hero"? And the other player's heroes?

Only the Ready heroes belonging to the active player team.

Caedes wrote:
- the way the highlights appears, you can NEVER have more than one hightlight per area, right?

You mean headlines. Yes, you can never have more than one per district.

Caedes wrote:
- There is no limit to Villain/Resources Cards in hand, right?

Right.

Bye!

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks so much, Francesco

grazie tante! :-)

Caedes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Cordes
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Francesco Nepitello wrote:
Caedes wrote:

Yes.

We balanced the villains on the basis of their atings/abilities/henchmen rating and so on. Von Doom needed a flaw, it is was quite thematic, and made way for one of his Master Plans.

I agree that it fits to have this flaw with Doctor Doom, but I found it nevertheless really difficult to achieve any of his Masterplans during play, especially when fighting Mr. Fantastic. His Combat Special Ability makes Doom's rolls even weaker than they already are. And without henchmen, he's basically only good at defending himself, but hardly able to inflict KOs to Mr. fantastic.

So - what I would like to know, is:

If the Trouble Level is still high enough after an ordinary boss fight, can I use additional supporting villains to aid the Nemesis in a Masterplan fight and reduce the Trouble level further (until it reaches Zero)? For Dr. Doom, this would be the only way to get other villains to support him because he doesn't have any henchmen, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tickbite wrote:
If the Trouble Level is still high enough after an ordinary boss fight, can I use additional supporting villains to aid the Nemesis in a Masterplan fight and reduce the Trouble level further (until it reaches Zero)? For Dr. Doom, this would be the only way to get other villains to support him because he doesn't have any henchmen, right?

There's no way to get other villains to support a Nemesis. Only the Backup Effects are used then. Also, once you get to the Nemesis, there isn't a trouble level any more so without the henchmen, the Nemesis isn't getting any help there.

Doom's card on here is in german and it won't translate through the online service I use so I can't make any other suggestions on how to use him. If anyone feels like translating his powers for me, I'd be happy to report any ideas that come to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Cordes
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, right. I forgot that it says in the rules that the Trouble Level is reset to Zero after an Headline Resolution. Okay, so there is nobody to support Doom when he's fighting a Super Hero. I can't help but feel he's an inferior villain in this game.
Here's my translations of both his powers:

Combat Special Ability - Discard a villain card. If you had 3 or more HITS on your last Defend-roll, you win your Defense.
Scheming Special Ability - When scheming, you cannot use Boost Combat as your Scheming action.

I guess somehow or other you have to solve your first Masterplan in order to get him to become more powerful. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping in mind that I don't have all of the character stats in front of me :

Yes, getting that Master Plan moving along is going to help. So how do you get there?

Electroshock is looking good. 4 boosted dice in ATK and OUTWIT gives a reasonable chance of inflicting 2 KOs in a round. Alternatively, Super-Genius gives you 5 boosted die in Outwit to get a KO and Doom's defensive power could possibly keep him healthy with the 2 boosted Defense dice while you continue to Outwit turn after turn.. as long as your villain cards hold out to fuel the armor when needed. The middle option looks really good for being impervious for the round and if you turn the 3 boosted Outwit dice into a KO and initiative, you switch to Electroshock next turn and slap the hero down. Notice that I keep referring to boosted dice. I'm doing that to underscore that Doom's 'flaw' does not affect his own boosting.

As for Scheming, get hold of a good Lead Villain and hold him until you're going for a Master Plan. Either scheme the Trouble Level up to play that Lead Villain or grab more villain cards if you don't have a good Lead Villain yet.

I'm with you in wanting to draw Henchmen cards for the fun of it, if nothing else, but if Doom's Master Plans are better than the other Nemesis' then that's nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the Nemesis Villains are deceptively efficient against some Heros and almost useless against others.

As trum has said, Dr Doom has a fair chance of winning Mr. Fantastic, Specially for his Super-Genius Power: Most likely Mr F will inflict a KO, but you'll win initiative next round, and remember: _when Combat abilities can be used simultaneously, the character with the Initiative acts first.

So, for example, if in my defense roll with 2 dice I'll get a HIT, 2HITS results, I can make use of "Combat Suit" before Mr Fantastic has the chance to remove my 2hits dice result.

On the Nemesis vs. Villain topic, I think it is more difficult to defeat the human Torch and his "Nova Burst" Ability. On the other hand, Thing is a piece of cake.

Also, I would never confront Magneto vs. Jean Phoenix Grey, but i't always there when Wolverine appears. I suppose it's the adamantium skeleton, after all... :-)

The worst thing a Nemesis could cope, in any case, are the Allies. Specially Dr. Doom, that has no Henchmen to speak of, so no strange surprises.

Saludos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Cordes
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's probably just one of those strategic components of the game: In using Dr. Doom you have to figure out a way how to achieve your Masterplans and then he becomes a lot more powerful than some others ... maybe.
Thanks for your tips. I read what Trump said on the FFG forum and it's true that you should wait and see when to use your nemesis. I definitely used it at the wrong time, getting whipped every time I tried. (By the way, I liked the robbery story you posted there.)
As for Mr. Fantastic, it's wise to weaken him with a really tough villain before going for the Masterplan. Without Resource Cards he's very weak indeed.
Yay, I can't wait to fight him again, with my incredible Super-Genius Power I will rule them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words.

From what I've read here and there, some players seem to be getting really into a slugfest mentality and that's not what this game is about. If you draw a villain card when someone's going after a headline and you ALWAYS slap it down the first chance you get... you're going to lose. Save your strength. Choose your battles. Crush those heroes beneath your heel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.