Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defense Token - Brace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bowden

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to validate my understanding of the rule for Brace.

Lets say my ship is attacked and I suffer one hit.

If I use my Brace defense action, it is my understanding I take 0 damage.

Damage total is reduced to half .5 rounded up to 1. Thus I am taking 0 damage.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nefstead
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What? No. Damage total is reduced by half to 0.5, then rounded up to 1. Thus you are taking 1 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The rule states "damage is reduced to half, rounded up." (Emphasis mine.) That means that you would round from 1 to 0.5, and round up to 1. So using a brace token against one point of damage is useless.

It is very difficult to use damage tokens to reduce damage all the way to zero. Generally, it only happens with an evade at long range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
No. The rule states "damage is reduced to half, rounded up." (Emphasis mine.) That means that you would round from 1 to 0.5, and round up to 1. So using a brace token against one point of damage is useless.

It is very difficult to use damage tokens to reduce damage all the way to zero. Generally, it only happens with an evade at long range.

And even then only if only one point of damage was rolled, since combining Evade and brace against 2 points (from 2 dice) will still end up with 0,5 rounded up to 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowden

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:

Wow I don't know how I missed that one... the key word being "to" not "by" must have read it to quick. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nefstead
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm confused. What's the difference between "to" and "by" in this context? You're reducing damage to half of its original value, which is the same as reducing it by half of its original value. (And then rounding up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardBeard wrote:
What's the difference between "to" and "by" in this context? You're reducing damage to half of its original value, which is the same as reducing it by half of its original value. (And then rounding up.)

It depends on when you round up.

If original damage is 5, half the damage is 5/2 which is 2.5 which you round up to 3. Reduce the damage by 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nefstead
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedgehobbit wrote:
BoardBeard wrote:
What's the difference between "to" and "by" in this context? You're reducing damage to half of its original value, which is the same as reducing it by half of its original value. (And then rounding up.)

It depends on when you round up.

If original damage is 5, half the damage is 5/2 which is 2.5 which you round up to 3. Reduce the damage by 3.

Oh, I think I understand what's going on. I was reading the passage as "Step 1: Reduce damage to half. Step 2: Round up." What I think you're saying, and what I now agree with, is that it's actually "Take half the damage and round it up, then reduce the damage to that amount." In the first case, it doesn't matter whether it's "by" or "to", but in the second case it does.

Although just to be clear, in your example you've used "by", which I think should be "to", yes? Reduce the damage to 3, not by 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Pham
United States
Whittier
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guys, you are overthinking this on the level of the kind of rules lawyering that will get you ostracized from any gaming group.

And you're also wrong.

From the rules reference:
Quote:
Brace: When damage is totaled during the “Resolve
Damage” step, the total is reduced to half, rounded up.

Thus, attacker totals the damage after modifying dice.

Defender uses his Brace defense token to reduce the total to half, round up.

Thus 5 total damage from an attack, halved and rounded up, is 3 damage total.

Likewise, 1 damage, halved and rounded up, is 1 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanigan wrote:
Guys, you are overthinking this on the level of the kind of rules lawyering that will get you ostracized from any gaming group.

And you're also wrong.

From the rules reference:
Quote:
Brace: When damage is totaled during the “Resolve
Damage” step, the total is reduced to half, rounded up.

Thus, attacker totals the damage after modifying dice.

Defender uses his Brace defense token to reduce the total to half, round up.

Thus 5 total damage from an attack, halved and rounded up, is 3 damage total.

Likewise, 1 damage, halved and rounded up, is 1 damage.

As has been stated identically a number of times in the thread and is not really in dispute anymore. So maybe no reason to start flinging around accusations of being rules lawyering AND wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok how about this... if you have 2 Brace tokens... can you use both one after another?

Ie:

6 Damage delt... use one token... have 3 Damage... then use another 1.5 Damage (2 rounded up)... so Take 2 Damage Total?! Is this
Legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
Ok how about this... if you have 2 Brace tokens... can you use both one after another?

Not in one attack. Rules Ref., under "Defense Tokens":

• The defender cannot spend more than one defense token of each type per attack.
• A defense token cannot be spent more than once during an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Thank You! Would be a nice Combo...prob too good! Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rohit Nambiar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
chrisdk wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:

And even then only if only one point of damage was rolled, since combining Evade and brace against 2 points (from 2 dice) will still end up with 0,5 rounded up to 1.

What if the attack was at long range and you got hit with 2 points (from 2 dice). Couldn't you first do brace to bring the points down to 1, then use an evade to avoid the 1 point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evades cancel individual dice not total damage. So evade first cancels one dice of your choice then brace reduces total damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rnambiar wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:

What if the attack was at long range and you got hit with 2 points (from 2 dice). Couldn't you first do brace to bring the points down to 1, then use an evade to avoid the 1 point?

Nope. "Brace" reduces how much damage you take, not how much is rolled. Evade would cancel 1 die, leaving you with one die showing one damage. Brace then cuts that in half rounded up, so, 1 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rohit Nambiar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
monkeykins wrote:
rnambiar wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:

Nope. "Brace" reduces how much damage you take, not how much is rolled. Evade would cancel 1 die, leaving you with one die showing one damage. Brace then cuts that in half rounded up, so, 1 damage.

imichae wrote:
Evades cancel individual dice not total damage. So evade first cancels one dice of your choice then brace reduces total damage.

Got it, that makes sense, cool thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.