Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I played a quick game in last night (v0.83 rules), and I think we hit our first "overpowered" combo.

It started when I hired a MONK. Soon after, I completed HANDKERCHIEF. After hiring a second MONK and completing GO SET, the game snowballed.

HANDKERCHIEF allows you to ignore the hand limit, instead discarding one card to the floor.

GO SET was built on the right, but it covers both sides - covering both of the MONKS.

From there, every MONK action let me draw 5 cards (I got one MONK action for the task, 2 for each assistant, totaling 5 - which I then used to draw cards instead of hiring more assistants). I only had to discard one card to the floor at the beginning of the next turn. When you draw that many cards, you usually get another MONK, and the cycle continued.

The engine only broke when I hired another MONK, and didn't realize that all three weren't covered anymore.

Shusaku is overpowered when he has hay fever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oopsie. That's pretty awesome though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an awesome combo! The odds of being able to score it often are pretty doggone low, if you think about it. Several of those stone had to pass through your hand early, before you got your engine set... not to mention the hanky.

Did you spot the combo and work toward it, or did you stumble into it?

Either way, well spotted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pastorbln wrote:
Did you spot the combo and work toward it, or did you stumble into it?

Nah, it was complete, blind, dumb luck. (Part of why I accidentally broke the engine with the third MONK - I didn't really think about how it worked.)

The only part I put thought into was when I was able to complete a cloth work off her SMITH. I was choosing between the HANKERCHIEF and SOCKS (You may POTTER from the top of the deck instead of the Floor). The extra cards seemed to be better to me, so I chose HANDKERCHIEF.

What I didn't realize that you can basically "feed" yourself with your discard. Since you're choosing one of the cards from your hand to discard to the floor, and since you know your and your opponents' tasks, you can ensure that whatever you need is on the floor for your turn.

Hence, the MONK-MONK-MONK combo wasn't too hard to get going, and I was easily able to get materials into my workplace (even though I didn't end up using them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.