Subject: How to Straighten Bent Miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerry Klassen
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am probably not the only one here, but a number of the miniatures in my box have bent axes, staves, spears, etc. Does anyone have a good method on how to straighten these bits back into place?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dip it in really hot water until it straightens out...
Reposition it into the right pose.
Dunk it into ice water.

Waa laa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or use a blow dryer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both tried and tested methods that I've done with previous SDE miniatures. You might have to do it a few times because the plastic has 'memory' so it starts to bend back into the bent position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think the easiest way is to use a blow dryer on the hottest setting to soften the plastic, then hold it into the position you want and run it under cold water.

The boiling water & ice water approach works as well, but it's more time consuming and requires more preparation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my wave 1 stuff today!

Holy, twisted plastic, this is going to take forever.whistle

I forgot how much fun it is to close the gaps on the bases.shake

Funny story...
When my wife came home from work today, she looked over all of the models sitting out on the table and then she looked up at me and said.
"Hooray, the microwave is going to get cleaned

I usually warm up water in the microwave.
(I didn't mention this before because the last time I suggested this someone linked a video explaining how dangerous it is (allegedly it may explode))
Anyway, As the water boils in the microwave it lets off steam. The steam loosens the gunk caked on the inside of the microwave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
I forgot how much fun it is to close the gaps on the bases.shake

This is something that frustrates me so much with the pre-made models. There is absolutely no need to cut off the tabs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
United States
Pasadena
Maryland
flag msg tools
I have done the boiling water/ice water approach with other miniatures, namely some from Arcadia Quest and my Reaper Bones. They all seem to go back to the original bent position, even after a few times.

I'm definitely going to give the hairdryer method a try.

Quote:
This is something that frustrates me so much with the pre-made models. There is absolutely no need to cut off the tabs!

I hate that it makes me waste my greenstuff. =(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.