Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Karmol
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Weird City Games hosted a March of the Ants tournament at GameStorm in Vancouver, Washington on March 17, 2015.

The tournament featured 16 players competing over two rounds, with the winner of each four-person first-round game advancing to a final four-person table. All five "Beyond the Meadow" hexes were removed for tournament play, and each game was played over four rounds (the typical length).

I took some time to briefly interview the winners of the first round. Here are some of their thoughts and reflections on the game:

What do you attribute your victory to?

Chris Wero: Battling the centipedes. I had the Armored Head evolution, and I was always able to play a card with a high enough Ferocity to win battles and keep control of hexes. Even when other players stepped in to battle centipedes in the same hexes I was able to defeat them as well.

Kyle Wilson: I made sure to control two hexes adjacent to the Great Tunnel. I focused on exploring outward early in order to find Colony Point collection sites. Over time they're very valuable.

James Berglund: Probably two Evolutions -- Dracula Abdomen and Traitorous Head.

Do you have any specific strategy headed into the final round?

Chris: I noticed players scoring big points for controlling the Inner Meadow. I'm trying to get at least two Inner Meadow hexes.

Kyle: It's dependent on where I am and what starting hex I get. If they work out that way I will use the same strategies I did in the first round. I'm not afraid to try a different strategy, though; for example, if I get a great Evolution that pushes me a certain way.

James: No specific strategy.

What is something you enjoy or appreciate about March of the Ants?

Chris: The mechanics are good -- everything in the game just makes sense. The progression from eggs to larvae to ants. The theme really matches the mechanics and everything just seems to be put together really well.

Kyle: The Resting mechanic. I have to manage not only my own resources, but I have to read my opponents and try to predict what I think they're going to do as well.

James: I've really enjoyed the diversity of the games -- games that are really aggressive and some that are peaceful, and we've all scored around 25 points. All the strategies kind of connect to each other and blend well.

When the final game ended it was Kyle Wilson who emerged victorious! He looked the part, sporting a "This is What a Winner Looks Like" t-shirt as he clutched his signed prize copy of March of the Ants.

At the tournament's conclusion Kyle, along with lead designers Tim Eisner and Ryan Swisher, were interviewed for the Critical Brix video podcast. Hopefully the new episode will be posted soon!

Thanks to everyone for being a part of the tournament, we had a blast running it for you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth van Doorn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to live in a country where things like MotA tournaments happen! Interesting to read the strategies, I love that there is no one dominant strategy, we're nowhere near anyone having "figured out" this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the playthrough videos (very visual) that are here on the Geek
short and well-made
I had already looked at the rulebook and knew about the reactions for each actions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.