Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing "Guards Counterattack" tonight an interesting sitiuation occured.

A combined fire group (CFG) of Soviets targeted a squad of Germans in a building. Part of the Soviet CFG consisted of a squad in the same building and adjacent to the Germans, whereas the remainder of the Soviets were in buildings across the road. In the rules, under Terrain Modifiers at 11.6, it reads as if any modifiers are negated if any one unit of the CFG can trace a free and clear LOS to the target.

So, in this case, does the adjacent unit in the building trace a clear LOS, and if so, do all other units in the CFG benefit from a negated terrain effect modifier?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilary

Ted is right, you still received +3TEM for being in a stone building even if fired at from an adjacent hex of the same building.

11.6 refers to only terrain (or counters) which modify fire across a particular hexside (eg walls, hedges) - not to terrain which blocks LOS or which the target occupies (such as woods or buildings)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help, Ted and Barry. It didn't matter anyway in the end: my wife obliterated my German squads to the point that I only had a very few men left in a building to the south.

Squad Leader has turned into our favorite wargame, by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:
Thanks for all the help,...

Squad Leader has turned into our favorite wargame, by far.

You're most welcome.

SL has been my favourite since I first picked the iconic orange box off of the games store's shelf as a spotty teenager.... many, many moons ago.

If you guys ever fancy feeding your appetites for a wider opponent base then you could do no worse than joining the SL Mailing List here...

https://mail.nyx.net/mailman/listinfo/sl

It's a very good way of finding new opponents and/or like minded individuals who share a similar passion for the game.
It also provides a wealth of knowledge for answering / clarifying rule interpretations.

Other useful sites well worth a visit...

http://advancephase.com/

http://www.wargameacademy.org/SQLA/

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, Ted,

Is my English that bad? Ted seems to think that if 2 squads are adjacent in a building, they can fire at each other WITHOUT TEM?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry,

Those websites are awesome! Thanks for the links.

I first bought Squad Leader in the late 70s when I was 12 or 13. Unfortunately, most of my friend shied away from wargames and instead played D&D. So, it sat on the shelf for a very long time until I sold it to another friend in the 80s.

When my wife and I decided to take up boardgaming as a hobby, one of the first games I looked for was Squad Leader. I was able to purchase an unpunched copy off of ebay a year or two ago. In the meantime, we had our second child and time slipped away, again.

Now, though, we've decided to make it our wargame of choice (though we've discussed perhaps going over to ASL...your thoughts on this?).

So, thanks to the links to a much broader world.

Hilary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Barry, Ted,

Is my English that bad? Ted seems to think that if 2 squads are adjacent in a building, they can fire at each other WITHOUT TEM?!?

Hi Matthijs,

Not wanting to speak for Ted but my understanding is that 2 adjacent units in the same building fire at each other with the building TEM.

Here's the 'official' Q&A entry that answers this point directly...

Question: Does the “in building” modifier apply to units firing at adjacent units in the same building?
Answer: Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:

Now, though, we've decided to make it our wargame of choice (though we've discussed perhaps going over to ASL...your thoughts on this?).

Hilary

Hi Hilary.

Like you I have been tempted, but to date I have resisted. Why?

1) Still got many, many hours of exploration and enjoyment left with the SL system. Until very recently I had only ever played up to and including Scenario 4 and most of those plays were solitaire. However, since finding the very active SL community I'm now up to Scenario 8 and have tackled several of the TTS (Tactical Training Scenarios) on the AdvancePhase site - excellent introductory small scale engagements for new players and recent returnees (like me) alike.

2) My copies of the expansion gamettes COI and COD still sit eagerly awaiting my attention. The first of these was an absolute revelation when I first acquired it back in the early 80s - this managed to move even the great Squad Leader onto a higher, greater level of realism and excitment with a complete overhaul of the AFV rules. However, the later expansions (of which I only own COD) proved too much complexity for very little gain for my liking. SL & COI were as good as it got for my tactical WWII gaming experiences.
And they still are. :o)

3) ASL really was a leap too far (for me - in terms of complexity) when it first appeared to replace the hitherto evolving SL system. I don't think I've changed my mind even after all these years. I prefer the more complimentary balance of playability v complexity that the original system provides. If I do find myself craving for more 'realism'... I'll just crack open my COD and start to introduce the added complexity layers provided within, always in the knowledge that there would still be a whole 'new' gamette still to explore, namely... GI:AoV

4) Finally, and probably THE most persuasive reason of all... COST.
From what I've read, there was a succession of modules released within the ASL family that required ownership of previous modules. Nothing new here really since the SL system itself paved the way in this respect, however, there are some serious $$/££'s involved here that would seem to be rather an extravagance when I already have a system (that I love) still with so much to offer.

Just my thoughts.

On a final note, if you are really serious about your SL gaming then I urge you to check out the VSQL (Vassal SQuad Leader) programme that allows both on-line and PBeM play. It's a blast being able to play likeminded opponents all over the world from the comfort of your own home. It's also a very good way to speed along your refamiliarisation of, or introduction to, the rules and general gameplay.
Refer to the Getting Started page on the AdvancePhase site for more details.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry,

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

I keep hearing that I should stay away from the gamettes, but I will instead try and find them. My wife and I had been contemplating a move over to ASL, but I'll see what I can do about getting these instead as I had been saying I'd get ASLSK 1 when it reprints.

Nice conversation, by the way.

Take care.

Hilary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, no prob.

I can happily talk SL all day :o)

I would highly recommend COI. Copies aren't too hard to come by (via the dreaded ebarf!) but try to get a 4th Ed. rule set if you can but this isn't a major problem if your get an earlier version.
There are conversion files available on one of the web-sites I posted that I can point you too if needed.

Feel free to shoot me a email [ingrambj-at-aol.com] / or PM if you need anything else, rule clarifications, old copies of SL ame play articles, hints and tips on scenarios to play etc etc.

Happy gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TommieSL wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
Barry, Ted, Is my English that bad? Ted seems to think that if 2 squads are adjacent in a building, they can fire at each other WITHOUT TEM?!?
Hi Matthijs,

Not wanting to speak for Ted but my understanding is that 2 adjacent units in the same building fire at each other with the building TEM.

Here's the 'official' Q&A entry that answers this point directly...
Question: Does the “in building” modifier apply to units firing at adjacent units in the same building?
Answer: Yes.

OK. That's how I know&use the rule. You (or better: Ted) had me worried for a sec

Nice to hear your SL-stories, Barry, Hilary.

I'm also member of the posted SL-list. I've only played Face to Face against some friends so far, we're trying to overcome the basic AFV rules, which I find rather difficult. We played scen 1-2-3a and 4 and some of the lower TTS scenarios so far.

I attended some 'tactical online meetings' using VSQL, but so far I haven't used VSQL for actually playing a game.

My consumers's part got the better half of me, so I already bought COI. Looking forward to that - but it seems a long long way to get to playing that one.soblue

I've posted some SL stuff on my homepage too, you can find it either through my profile or using the link under 'Game Links' on the http://www.advancephase.com/

Best regards,
Matthijs

Edit= typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:

... we're trying to overcome the basic AFV rules, which I find rather difficult. We played scen 1-2-3a and 4 and some of the lower TTS scenarios so far.

I attended some 'tactical online meetings' using VSQL, but so far I haven't used VSQL for actually playing a game.

I've posted some SL stuff on my homepage too, you can find it either through my profile or using the link under 'Game Links' on the http://www.advancephase.com/

Best regards,
Matthijs

Edit= typos

Hi Matthijs.

I'd be happy to talk you through the AFV rules via VSQL if you like. Just let me know if you need any help.

Thanks for your homepage link. I must check it out

Regards,

Barry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
_Kael_ wrote:
Barry, Ted,

No, Ted's punctuation is that bad hehe. Pretty sure he meant to say "No, units that are in a building still get the TEM against units that are in the same building."

Folks, we have perfect illustration of why the proper use of commas, periods, and apostrophes (which should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be used to denote the plural of anything)is so important.

Yes, I'm today's grammar/punctuation nazi, thank you very much. When I assume my rightful place as supreme ruler of the world some day, you're going to take this stuff much more seriously, I can assure you, especially the apostrophes/plural thing. Disregard of that one will get you right up against the wall with a blindfold. MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Um, is it time for my medication yet?)

By the way, Mathijs, there's an SL users group in Yahoo, I believe. If you join it, you'll have access to a re-worked rule book in Word format that you can download. If you print it out in its entirety, you can fill up not one but TWO 3" binders. This will stop any envy you might have for those that have moved on to ASL, with their puny single 2" binder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry,

that's a great offer. I'll reread that rulesection (something like fourth time) and then I'll start spamming you with possible dates (which is quite difficult, because I am, like you all, busy busy )Thanks! With a big T.

John,

if you're the "grammar/punctuation nazi" of today, you might have the decency (hope-I-spelled-that-one-correct) to spell my name right, hehe!
But thanks. After I saw your "No, Ted's punctuation is that bad" I reread Ted's message for the zillionst time, and the quarter fell. I didn't need the rest of your explanation anymore. It IS much harder to 'make punctuation up' if it's missing and you're not a native speaker. And I do regard myself as pretty good in English.
Could you point me to the yahoo-stuff? I never used the yahoo mailing groups etc, so any link/... is welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthijs, my grammar/punctuation are limited to the Saxonspeak lol. Here's your link:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/squadleaderpreasl/files/

just scroll down to the "Squad Leader Rule Book draft" link, and make sure you have a full ink cartridge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
forgot to add, you'll need a yahoo password to access that link...you can register w/ Yahoo to get one..it's pretty painless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.