Subject: Adaptive Fighter Mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing Marco DeSantos' video on the delta bases, I was very impressed with them. 'Leap', 'Sweep', and 'Block' especially appealed to me as they seemed to fill in a gap that was missing.

My only problem is that as the game is played now, any set of bases still feels like it has gaps.

Here's a variant idea: A player gets all the bases from the Alpha, Beta, and Delta sets. In his starting discards, he discards two styles and two sets of three matching bases (I.e. dash/parry/block, or burst/spike/sweep).

As an end of beat effect, a player discards the bases that match the one he played.

Thoughts? It seems like it explodes the number of possible attacks into the stratosphere, but I think that's kind of a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Full fighting game options variant
Let us know if you try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also check out the deck-based variant when you get your copy of Armory. It makes for a very different style of play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell us anything about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
You should also check out the deck-based variant when you get your copy of Armory. It makes for a very different style of play!

Do you mean the Deck Duel variant that's in the PnP files for The Armory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's the one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, how's it going?

Did you go back to regular play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladislav Goldakovsky
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
Tried this a while ago, just with alpha and beta sets. It was horrible. Any thoughtful play takes too much time to make. The only way this can work is as Play-by-forum match. Just not fun in real time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't tried this variant (so much new material to digest as it is!)

However, I did have a thought- as an end of beat effect, a player can switch to a new set of bases. You set aside the bases that correspond to whatever is in your discard piles.

I like this idea because all the attacks are available to you at a moment's notice, but during the set attack pair phase, your options (and the possibilities your opponent has to consider) remain more or less the same.

I think this would be really deep play for extremely advance players, but it would allow a lot of adaptation on the fly.

I hope to try it out soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could also have a mode where, after choosing characters, you choose which bases among the alpha/beta/delta bases at the start of the match (maybe you can limit it to same colors, but maybe not). And THEN you could also have that EoB rule.

I'd love to hear about how that worked out if someone tries it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
The duel deck works because of hidden information--you can't play around your opponent anymore--you can only play the attack that you think might be the best.

I can imagine trying to counterplay with that number of options is probably a bit overwhelming XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's kinda why I suggested the semi-Armory mode, where you front-load the customization to tailor to a matchup.

Btw, will there be official tournaments (maybe even a Worlds tournament) for the Armory? If so, do you have any as to how the format will be like?

I think the Armory kinda solves some of the biggest complaints people usually have about BCon (matchup troubles) and it recreates the feel of a "create your character" mode from fighting games, both of which I think are really awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The way I picture that tournament mode is Armory, with either 100 or 150 gold, Fighter Teams (switch out character after each duel), and allowing for a 50 gold change in equipment when you lose a duel (the amount of gold that can be changed should be tested, and the character that adapts is the one going into the duel).

This would lead to a lot of possibilities in how one can approach the tournament. A player can have solutions for a lot of things that can come at him with both 3 characters and lots of customizations. If there's a very powerful strategy against him, he can change the incoming character to prepare for it, but at the same time he has to keep in mind the characters his opponent will play in the future. Another thing I love about these tourney rules is that they bring the excitement of both Fighting game tournaments with cool exciting plays , and the strategies of TCG tournaments with the unconventional and surprising combinations while trying to prepare for a meta.

That's my suggestion for the rules to a Worlds tournament featuring the Armory at next year's Gen Con. Another suggestions is going crazy and replacing the Fighter Teams rule with Tag teams (therefore no more gold adjusting). That might get crazy but also very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tournament Guide actually features an 'Unlimited Format' that uses Tag Teams with Armory as an official format. Check it out!

http://www.level99games.com/catalog/tournament-documents.htm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
The Tournament Guide actually features an 'Unlimited Format' that uses Tag Teams with Armory as an official format. Check it out!

http://www.level99games.com/catalog/tournament-documents.htm...

Any reason why Sagas is at the ban list, and Joan and Gerard on the unlimited ban list?

P.S.: Masters Tournament rule!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unreal_ed wrote:
You could also have a mode where, after choosing characters, you choose which bases among the alpha/beta/delta bases at the start of the match (maybe you can limit it to same colors, but maybe not). And THEN you could also have that EoB rule.

I'd love to hear about how that worked out if someone tries it.

Yeah, that's the idea. I messed around with this variant a little bit, and it's really cool. If you know the bases well enough to know what you want for the next beat, it feels like you have a much bigger toolbox available to you.

It felt like it buffed all the characters significantly- using all three sets, you have full rotations of bases that are whatever you need them to be- lots of hit confirm, priority, stun guard, whatever your character needs is available to you. However, as always, your opponent knows that, and all the same mind games still apply.

Thematically, I think it worked really well. It felt way more like a fighting game. Also, it felt a bit like being a martial artist shifting from stance to stance.

I think applying it as an end of beat is the right way to go- it allows the reactive player the benefit of choosing last, and the reactive player is often at a disadvantage, so I think it adds a bit of game there.

The downside is there is a bit of card handling added to the game, but it's nothing too serious. I think this variant will really appeal most to players with a lot of experience with all the base sets.

I feel like it takes the rock-paper-scissors pentagon that the game already had and turns it into a 3 dimensional polygon of some kind. Perhaps something like a 12 sided die

I reccommend people try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edouard Lorenceau
France
Boulogne-Billancourt
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
It felt like it buffed all the characters significantly- using all three sets, you have full rotations of bases that are whatever you need them to be- lots of hit confirm, priority, stun guard, whatever your character needs is available to you. However, as always, your opponent knows that, and all the same mind games still apply.

Do you think it would need some added starting health, like 25 or 30?

We should call this mode the Adaptive Fighter mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought of adding more health- the added defensive options seem to roughly match the added offensive options, so I think it's still roughly balanced.

For instance, a character like Cadenza now has increased ability to stick right on his opponent in melee with a rotation such as Hydraulic Counter-Mechanical Drive-Clockwork Leap, but other characters now have increased options for dodging, like Spike-Dash-Wave .

Adding 5 life or so might be worth a try, especially because the Delta bases seem just a little harder hitting than the others.

I was also toying with an idea to spend force as an end of beat effect to gain access to the ex or almighty bases for one beat.

PS- "Adaptive fighter mode" is a lot catchier than "Full fighting game options variant". Changing the subject line to match it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.