Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Pham
United States
Whittier
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So we played a learning game today, but with full 300 point fleets. We didn't use objectives and we went until all ships were dead. Post-game, I realized we really should have used the unlimited rounds rules.

For those that haven't read that part. Unlimited rounds rules involve no missions, and initiative is passed back and forth each round.

My only problem with unlimited rounds is that I'd still like to play with some sort of bigger objective, but without the 6 turn limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with unlimited rounds, but one of the issues I could see would be a really long game. Since the battlefield is 6'x3', you have a lot of space to fly around. Ships can now repair themselves, so you could theoretically disengage from the battle, fly off to the far side and spend some rounds repairing. If both players did that as ships got damaged, cycling ships in and out, the battles could go on for hours and hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Miley

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I see the limited rounds and a good way to avoid the endless circling in space.

But unlimited with some massive sweeping objective would be cool too. But it would need to something clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swordfish2007 wrote:
Yeah, I see the limited rounds and a good way to avoid the endless circling in space.

But unlimited with some massive sweeping objective would be cool too. But it would need to something clever.

You could do unlimited rounds in an asteroid field or something. Divide the field up into a grid and have random sections get pelted by asteroids every round. That'd encourage people to keep fighting and try to finish as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Objectives are so great though, I'd rather play 2 6-round games with them than a crazy-long ordinary death match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the feeling that the reason for the lack of objectives in unlimited rounds is that none of the objectives used in Armada have a game-ending effect. As such, even if your opponent plays to the objective, you can simply pursue them to annihilate their fleet, and then claim the objective at your leisure. Obliterating the enemy fleet grants a win by default, invalidating objectives if a round limit isn't a factor.

You could certainly craft custom objectives that do end the game upon achieving them with that in mind, but that's an extra step that FFG opted not to invest design effort in since it won't support their tournament structure and would require a completely different design mentality that might interfere with tight design and balancing for the standard objective set in a fixed 6-round environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Miley

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameQuest wrote:
You could do unlimited rounds in an asteroid field or something. Divide the field up into a grid and have random sections get pelted by asteroids every round. That'd encourage people to keep fighting and try to finish as soon as possible.

If we are encouraging them to finish faster wouldn't we just do rounds? What a twist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Boughton
United Kingdom
Sale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
I played an unlimited game with two core sets and it did seem to stalemate about 8 rounds in, both sides drew breath and started to repair but three rebel ships used their speed to corner and demolish a star destroyer. The game went on for another 6 rounds as the three surviving rebels closed in on the remaining star destroyer eventually the game had to be dismantled before we could end it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
In an unlimited round game, you need a game-ending condition other than eliminating the enemy. Either a certain oercent of the enemy points destroyed or holding an objective for X rounds. Or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
In an unlimited round game, you need a game-ending condition other than eliminating the enemy. Either a certain oercent of the enemy points destroyed or holding an objective for X rounds. Or something similar.

Yup, as I suggested up-thread. Other examples that could work would be picking up (by flying near or destroying in some way) X objectives, "escaping" off the map in a designated area, or destroying a specific target of the enemy's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also add physical endurance elements. Eating, sitting, or using the bathroom results in one ship of your opponents choice being destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veehyvez
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the 6 rounds, makes the game quicker, forces players to mix it up and eliminates the circling effect from the player who has one ship left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Pham
United States
Whittier
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah. I actually meant that with the unlimited rounds, playing mainly with alternating initiative every turn.

I tend to not like games with a arbitrary 6 turn limit. I like to see objective systems that have their own flexible time limit that lets things stretch out a little based on objective completion, but otherwise is pretty close to being a hard turn limit.

I am looking forward to them doing more with the objective cards. They are pretty different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find battles are usually decided after 6 rounds. Going beyond it might see things like far-flung light ships repairing for three turns until they can swing back into combat, and slower capital ships turning around trying to catch up.

I didn't think I'd like six turns either, but I think the game goes on long enough under that limit that it's satisfying to play. And the objectives are nice extras to incentivize strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.