Hide
6 Posts

Victory in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Adding steps to U-boats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
Are U-boats naval units for the purposes of adding steps or are they their own thing?

They are not naval units for combat, being their own target type, and they don't move exactly as naval units.

This matters because if they are their own thing then presumably you can add steps to any U-boat in supply, whether at sea or in a supplied port that is not a naval base.

If memory serves there were U-boat pens all along the French coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brest represents the U-boat pens which were built to the south of Brest.

U-boats are as other Naval units for builds. You may add a step at a supplied Naval Base. You may build a new unit (1-step) at a Supplied, Home Naval Base with a Factory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmmm... as best I can tell, there are only three classes of units:
- Army
- Air
- Naval

And of course U-boats aren't "Army" nor "Air", so how can they not be a naval unit? I never thought to consider them otherwise. Plus, submarine rules and ops are discussed several times in paragraph 7.0, "NAVAL OPERATIONS" (and all of its child paragraphs) So I would consider them as a naval unit for every aspect of the game.

And I'm not posting this reply to "question your question", but rather to wonder if my simplistic logic above has me missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
And I'm not posting this reply to "question your question", but rather to wonder if my simplistic logic above has me missing something?

U-boats are distinguished from naval units when determining target types. That raises the possibility that they are not classed as naval units. But I don't think that's Columbia's intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
I think I found my answer in the wording of 7.23

Quote:
7.23 Naval Control: Naval units (even submarines) control any sea zone they occupy.

The phrasing here indicates that submarines are a sub class of naval units.

It would have been helpful if the rules had up front defined which units are what type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dan R. wrote:
U-boats are distinguished from naval units when determining target types.

No, they're not distinguished from naval units, but rather distinguished as a specific type of naval unit that has targeting rules which are different from other naval units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.