Hide
25 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Geist decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
The upcoming runner Geist, who draws a card everytime a "trash" paid ability is used, intrigues me. In a deck catered to his ability, he could passively draw 10+ cards a game.

I'm also excited about the set of cloud breakers that are coming out: Shiv, Crowbar, and Spike. When spammed with Faeries, they should usually be at 3+ strenth.

Here's a first draft of a deck that may highlight what he can do. I've put asteriks next to all the cards that trigger his ability.

Geist, 45 cards, 15 influence

Events (9 cards)
3 Sure Gamble
3 Easy Mark
2 Forged Activation Order
2 Account Siphon

Hardware (7 cards)
2 Forger *
2 Cortez Chip *
2 Clone Chip (4 influence) *
1 E3 Feedback Implants

Icebreakers (15)
3 Faerie
3 Shiv *
3 Crowbar *
3 Spike *
1 ZU.13 Key Master (2 influence)
1 Corroder (2 influence)
1 Deus X (1 influence) *

Programs (6)
2 Self-Modifying Code * (6 influence)
3 Crescentus *
1 Grappling Hook *

Resources (8)
1 Decoy *
2 Kati Jones
3 Access to Globalsec
2 Bank job

The idea is to used Creacentus, Forged and Cortez Chip to destroy problem ice. Besides that, use the threat of Clone Chip, SMC, and Breakers on the board to control remotes.

Ash and Caprice will be problems. No multi access is a problem. Econ is a problem. Any other ideas how to make Geist work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I hate to admit it... ANR's cards are very forward-looking, which means

kenobob wrote:
Any other ideas how to make Geist work?

Probably with cards we've barely seen yet

I don't know if a handful of one-use breakers would be enough in a game. There's probably some kind of tech that's still coming that could make them higher-impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
badge
But what is the question?
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you post a link for the runner? I just heard about him.

Interesting deck btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendly AIs might be helpful too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Tuism wrote:
As much as I hate to admit it... ANR's cards are very forward-looking, which means

kenobob wrote:
Any other ideas how to make Geist work?

Probably with cards we've barely seen yet

I don't know if a handful of one-use breakers would be enough in a game. There's probably some kind of tech that's still coming that could make them higher-impact.

Since his ability triggers off any trash effect, I think we've seen most of the cards he can be used with. Maybe they'll be some economy card that trashes itself and gives the runner credits for each installed program or something. That would be good for him.

I think the 9 cloud breakers plus Faerie, Zu, and Corroder and the clone chips will be more than enough breakers. The problem is fitting in econ and other tricks when you're running 14 breakers.

Here's the text from the "rumors" section of the bgg netrunner spoiler post. Google it, title is "four is flatline" phone won't let me pay links...
Criminal ID
(Armand "Geist" [SURNAME], link 1, min. deck size and influence limit)
Whenever you use a [trash] ability each turn, draw 1 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can see him being a typical scumbag siphon-spammer same old thing even draws you a card now (assuming that the cost simply needs to include a trash symbol).

I really like the way the criminal cloud suite scales with additional installs, so you can deal with bigger ice, but the more you break the weaker your breakers get so you ideally want a poor corp or plenty of derez/ice trashing.

I'm just intrigued by the possibility of keeping all that MU for utility programs (and maybe a backup Crypsis or Overmind). Maybe run Zu and Creeper just to bump the str of the other breakers or as emergency backups as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny And The
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
He doesn't get a draw from Faerie unfortunately. Faerie doesn't have a trash paid ability, it simply trashes itself after being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jets wrote:
He doesn't get a draw from Faerie unfortunately. Faerie doesn't have a trash paid ability, it simply trashes itself after being used.

Yeah, I wonder if they factored that in when they made the card. Faerie, however, can be saved with a Sacrificial Construct, which incidentally *will* draw you a card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Yeah, the MU is intriguing. I went with SMC and Creacentus in the above build. Other options could be
Sneakdoor (even eying Pheremones)
Au Revoirs and Snitch
Data Folding in a Supplier/Underworld Contacts build.

SMC seems pretty good for a lot of these "excursions." Out of all them, though, Crescentus seems especially strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I can't help but feel like decks which want to make use of the one-shot breakers will want Mass Install. Screw spending an entire turn getting a one-shot icebreaker suite online, amirite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agent Archer wrote:
I can't help but feel like decks which want to make use of the one-shot breakers will want Mass Install. Screw spending an entire turn getting a one-shot icebreaker suite online, amirite?

Maybe - depends if you can also assemble all the pieces in-hand fast enough. Could be worth looking at though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Yes. I started off with an Andy/cloud breaker list that had 2 Mass Install. It's something you'd use maybe once a game, but it'd be worth it.

Armund "Geist" will spend many more clicks installing than even Noise. Still, it's hard to fit Mass Install in when you can barely find spots for regular econ. Also makes you want to play 2 Autoscripters too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd need 3xZu I reckon. Every icebreakers that doesn't take up MU would be essential to the rig. I'd even be tempted to throw in a Creeper...

Edit: Do we know for a fact that Geist has 15 influene? because he would hardly be OP at 17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He comes out in the same pack as Street Peddler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
We have to wait like 4 packs in the cycle to get the full cloud breaker suite. Kind of frustrating. They've been good about making packs more synergistic (all the cerebruses). Why not just give us Armond and his full breaker suite in the same pack?

&Kroen. I think he's pretty powerful. There are a lot of strong cards with trash abilities, plus the cloud breakers. Should be easy to average 10 free cards a game with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Doerr
msg tools
Tekkactus wrote:
He comes out in the same pack as Street Peddler.

To quote Step Brothers "did we just become best friends?"

That is the way I plan to take my Armand deck. Pop a Street peddler and stack the cards up. SP has the added bonus of allowing you to install breakers at instant speed. The next pack holds Trope so I am thinking it isn't a big deal to pop a Trope early since your MU isn't being taken up by breakers. Then cycle the cloud breakers and peddlers back in when the game starts to go late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Doerr
msg tools
kenobob wrote:
We have to wait like 4 packs in the cycle to get the full cloud breaker suite. Kind of frustrating. They've been good about making packs more synergistic (all the cerebruses). Why not just give us Armond and his full breaker suite in the same pack?

In all fairness they sort of are. The last of the three (Shiv) comes out in the same pack Armand does, so by the time he comes out we will have the full suite (Spike in the Valley, and Crowbar in Chrome City).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To your comment about having a problem with Ash/Caprise:

Unregistered S&W is still lurking since the release of Honor and Profit. It DOES kill Caprise, Ash, and any other annoying clones/sysops/executives that are too hard to reach.

Drive-by is also in faction for you with criminal. Expose a card and trash at no cost if it's an upgrade or asset? Just fire it BEFORE they rez the server protection. Should be ideal for stopping SanSans as well as the aforementioned.

Thought I saw a card that might work well with this ID back in a spoiler thread. Went back and checked (Underway spoilers): Muertos Gang Member may also be a hit here.
Cost: 0
Inf: 2
Faction: criminal
Type: Resource-Connection
Ability: When you install Muertos Gang Member, the corp must derez a card. When Muertos Gang Member is uninstalled, the corp may rez a card, ignoring the rez cost. Trash: Draw 1 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Yes, been thinking up Muertos plays all day. I wonder if using It in tandem with Forged Activation Order will be a thing. Make sure they can't rerez a big piece of Ice when you trash it. seems like it could be super disruptive early and then allow the runner to cash in once the corp's board is stable by drawing 2 cards as a paid ability. That's not bad flatline protection either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenobob wrote:
Yes, been thinking up Muertos plays all day. I wonder if using It in tandem with Forged Activation Order will be a thing. Make sure they can't rerez a big piece of Ice when you trash it. seems like it could be super disruptive early and then allow the runner to cash in once the corp's board is stable by drawing 2 cards as a paid ability. That's not bad flatline protection either.
it can also potentially combo with Drive By if they derez an upgrade or asset

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Ha, yeah. Now build me a deck with 3 Crescentus, 3 Muertos, 3 Forged, 2 Drive By, 3 Clone Chip, 3 Siphon, 3 Same Old, 3 of some link card, 3 Desperdo (plz), a cloud breaker suite with some permanent support, and 3 Faerie (too good not to include). I'd also like some SMC and a couple of Autoscripter too, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenobob wrote:
Ha, yeah. Now build me a deck with 3 Crescentus, 3 Muertos, 3 Forged, 2 Drive By, 3 Clone Chip, 3 Siphon, 3 Same Old, 3 of some link card, 3 Desperdo (plz), a cloud breaker suite with some permanent support, and 3 Faerie (too good not to include). I'd also like some SMC and a couple of Autoscripter too, lol.
I'd probably throw in some Underworld Contacts to synergise with the link strength.

and yeah, Autoscripter will put in a lot of work.

I think Savoir-faire and The Supplier can help too.

Imagine installing from the Supplier, using those 2 saved credits to effectively pay for Savoir-faire... that's two installs and 5 clicks (with Autoscripter).

And I think Savoir-faire would be a good include with Geist, because you can trash, draw, and install midrun

Go nuts Geist, you're on Shaper levels of bullshit right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is he confirmed to have 1 base link? If so, there's that new "Forger" console for Criminals that has +1 link and "trash: avoid 1 tag". Sounds like an easy way to use the Cloud

The next pack Breaker Bay has no criminal cards spoiled yet, and neither do the last two packs of the cycle. I think there will be a bit more support for both Geist and Laramy, specifically that draw card rumour (priority event, both players draw 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaxCecilia wrote:
Is he confirmed to have 1 base link? If so, there's that new "Forger" console for Criminals that has +1 link and "trash: avoid 1 tag". Sounds like an easy way to use the Cloud

The next pack Breaker Bay has no criminal cards spoiled yet, and neither do the last two packs of the cycle. I think there will be a bit more support for both Geist and Laramy, specifically that draw card rumour (priority event, both players draw 3).
I don't think anything about him is 100% confirmed yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
There's also an option of ignoring the cloud breaker suite with him altogether. His ability turns Fall Guy into click: draw a card and take 2 credits. Cortez Chip is also clicking to draw while costing the corp 2 credits. And Clone Chip goes from excellent to excelante. He may be able to do the fixed breaker suite/Parasucker thing Gabe used to rock before corps got better Siphon defense (i.e. Economy).

If Geist is running the Cloud breakers, it means precision central strikes are key. Legwork and The Maker's Eye should be necessary, along with Same Old Things to maximize their use and exploit his ability further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls