Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in getting into Android Netrunner, and will most likely purchase the core box next week. I have a few questions before I pull the trigger:

1. What is the best way to increase the power of your decks which make use of the core set cards? I have read that you should either purchase multiple core sets, or buy the card only sets off ebay (e.g. 1x copy of each 2 of core set). If I go the 2nd route, what should I be looking for as far as which cards to ramp up to 3x? All of the listings I have seen identify only certain cards or list cards not included. Do I need 3 copies of all cards in the core set? I don't want to buy multiple core sets if I will not be using the additional tokens and such in the additional core boxes.

2. Is there any reason to use clear sleeves over sleeves with artwork on the back?

3. What is the largest sized deck used in the game? If I buy a 100 card Dragon Sleeve pack, will that be enough to sleeve up a runner deck AND a corp deck? I don't mind re-sleeving decks occasionally.

4. Are there playmats with outlines for card and deck placement which will assist the new player with where to place everything, or do people personalize where they place cards and decks, such as in MTG?

5. If I am trying to get a couple of friends into the game at the same time that I am, should they be purchasing their own core set and obtaining 2x and 3x of the core set, or can we all just use my core set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Korbos
Greece
Athens
Pireaus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you are looking too much into this.

That I mean is that if you want to start playing the game pick the Core Box once and play with all the corps and all the runners. After that you will see some play styles that you like and some others that you don't like too much.

Then you can look what each data pack contains and see what strategy can you build before running to buy random things.

That's what I believe anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Buy a second Core, it's not really worth buying packs with copies of specific cards to "complete" a full playset. The extra copies are great for multiple decks.

2. The only reason is that the card backs look cool, but if you're using sleeves, use opaque. Keep in mind that most tournaments require sleeves and they have to be opaque if you are using any alternate art (promotional) or draft cards since the printing process distinguishes them.

3. There's no upper limit, but a runner deck is typically 45 cards + ID (ranges from 40-50) and a corp deck is typically 49 + ID (Ranges from 40-54). Basically, 100 sleeves should be perfect for two decks.

4. Yes, but placement is not that complicated. The rulebook has an illustration of both sides.

5. They will need their own if they want their own decks, there are a limited number of neutral cards that are shared between factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
1) Two cores is a must, many of the two of and a few of the one of cards (San San City Grid + the consoles) require minimum two copies (and 3 if your playing pro) imo.

Many good cards (siphon, scorched earth, etc also only come in 2 copies in 1 core, you need 3 definitely.

I say buy 2 core sets now and see if you need a 3rd one down the line.

2nd core = Mandatory imo, 3rd = Probably only mandatory for desperado, grimoire and san san city grid.

2) Sleeves with artwork are easier to have markings on them which can be used for cheating that may be hard to detect. Some tournaments only allow clear sleeves because of this.

3) Largest sized deck ive seen used at a tournament was like 329 cards. http://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/2xhlf9/329_card_t...

It failed horribly (or at least didn't do too well.)
Ideal deck size is usually 45 for the runner and 49 for the corp (a few identities are a bit higher or lower then these numbers though.

4) No playmats, I asked about the same thing when I was a noob. Just takes time and memorization.

FFG is printing mats but they only have art on them, no outlines.

5) DEPENDS how seriously you and them want to play the game.
If you guys don't mind just taking turns playing factions and building decks then one person can be the runner and the other can be the corp and it works out just fine.

If you get to the point where your friends enjoy the core game experience and find the game fun, then they can CONSIDER buying into it.

MAKE sure you buy from an online retailer, do not buy fantasy flight games at MSRP. MSRP for datapacks is $15 but the going place on online stores is usually $8-9. MSRP for the core set is $40 but you can buy it from retailers from $25. DO NOT get scammed, can't stress this enough.

If you decide to stick with the game and enjoy it I recommend purchasing the following expansions in this order

1) Deluxe expansions, their are 3 of these out so far (Creation and Control, Honor and Profit and What lies ahead. These give the best bang for buck and are a great way to jumpstart your collection. Better value then data packs. BUY THESE FIRST. THEY MAKE THE FACTIONS INSIDE THEM PLAYABLE! Cost is $20 for 3x55 cards as opposed to $10 for 3x20.

2) Buy in the following order, these data packs:

What Lies Ahead (gives each faction an additional agenda, great variety) has many good cards in it overall.

Opening Moves (adds Jackson Howard, the best corporation card in the game that fixes the runner advantage.

Future Proof. Gives Eli 1.0, arguably one of the best ice in the game, Faerie (one of the best icebreakers in the game, project beale (enables NBN FA strat), R&D interface , midseasons. Just a great pack overall, one of the best imo.

Double Time: Contains NAPD contract!, one of the best neutral agendas in the game that fits well into most non bad publicity decks. Also contains quandary a staple in FA decks, hive (very strong weyland ice)
Also contains paintbrush and lucky find ( good runner eco card)(good program in quetzal and kit) and stealth chips.

After that its really up to you. Each pack has at least 1-2 cards that makes it a must buy IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. IMO, the best return on investment is a 2nd core set. This fills out the cards which are printed at 2x, gives you a second copy of the 1x cards, and also gives you a whole second playset of the 3x cards, which helps you to have more than one deck built at a time. A third core set is really only necessary to obtain 3x of a couple of cards, if you want to play those builds. Unfortunately obtaining singletons of those cards is probably almost as much as just buying a 3rd core. So either way don't bother trying to fill out your collection with online purchases, you'll only be spending more overall.

2. Tournament Rules require opaque sleeves if you use any Alt Art promo cards or Draft cards. (Both represent cards from the retail card pool, so it doesn't create rarity or exclusivity per se.)

3. There's one Runner ID that requires a 50 card minimum deck size, and Corp decks usually try to hit 49 (for agenda density reasons.) So theoretically 100 Dragon Shields will do you, but most players prefer different colored sleeves for their corp and runner decks.

4. InkedPlaymats.com and elsewhere offer custom playmats with a suggested layout, but many players have their own preferences. It matters less for runner than it does for corp. Do yourself a favor though, and get in the habit of displaying your credits at the front of your play area, not piled up on your ID card.

5. You can teach the game out of 1-2 core sets, but they'll want their own collection. Particularly when you start adding Data Packs and Deluxe Sets, those only come with 3x of the cards, so you'll come to blows over who gets the Clone Chips and SMCs and Dirty Laundries and Jackson Howards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Amunra93 wrote:

2) Sleeves with artwork are easier to have markings on them which can be used for cheating that may be hard to detect. Some tournaments only allow clear sleeves because of this.

This is incorrect, no tournament requires clear sleeves. The company that makes Netrunner, FFG, even has a selection of art sleeves that are legal in all tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Get two core sets then work through each data pack over time.

2. I prefer Ultra Pro's solid colored sleeves. There's 20 different colors now (Gold coming soon). I keep each deck in a different color. It's cute.

3. 50 is usually the most sleeves you'll need for a deck unless you're going for something a little strange.

4. There's special fan-made ones. I'll post back later.

5. You can easily share a collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Amunra93 wrote:

This is incorrect, no tournament requires clear sleeves. The company that makes Netrunner, FFG, even has a selection of art sleeves that are legal in all tournaments.

You also posted above that only opaque sleeves were ok in tournaments, that's also not correct. Unless the rules have changed, sleeves are required at anything above casual tournaments, but opaque are only mandatory if using draft or alt-art cards because of the slightly different colours caused by being printed in-house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow,

Thanks for all of the terrific and rapid responses. Gotta love BGG and its community.

So what I am thinking based on the feedback is that I should initially purchase 2 core sets, and two different colors of at least 50 sleeve packs. Then, just use a standard Netrunner playmat. From there, I can learn the game, and then start adding the Deluxe expansions and then the recommended data packs.

I really appreciate the assistance so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:
Amunra93 wrote:

You also posted above that only opaque sleeves were ok in tournaments, that's also not correct. Unless the rules have changed, sleeves are required at anything above casual tournaments, but opaque are only mandatory if using draft or alt-art cards because of the slightly different colours caused by being printed in-house.

That's true, I'll edit my post. I always use opaque sleeves anyway because I don't like clear sleeves and I use draft and alt art cards all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ejento wrote:

That I mean is that if you want to start playing the game pick the Core Box once and play with all the corps and all the runners. After that you will see some play styles that you like and some others that you don't like too much.

Then you can look what each data pack contains and see what strategy can you build before running to buy random things.

That's what I believe anyway.

I agree. Buy a core set and play a few games to see if you even like it. If you do, then sure, get a 2nd core and some sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Ejento wrote:

That I mean is that if you want to start playing the game pick the Core Box once [...]

I agree. Buy a core set and play a few games to see if you even like it. If you do, then sure, get a 2nd core and some sleeves.

+1

My friends and I had a great time with just one core set between us when we first started. Not all identities are balanced so you'll lose badly sometimes but... well... that happens even when you have all of the cards :)

After you've played each identity once or twice you'll get the itch to start deck construction by which time you'll know if this game is for you.

Of course, I recommend sleeves from the beginning.

Enjoy Netrunner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steph Deneuch
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
a Core set is enough to start enjoying the basic version of AN.
After buying "opening moves" and play with the Messiah (Jackson Howard) is mandatory in order to enhance the experience of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
habanero wrote:
So what I am thinking based on the feedback is that I should initially purchase 2 core sets

The other nice thing with buying a second core set is that there will be enough neutral cards for you and 3 other friends to play simultaneously (2 games of 1 Runner vs. 1 Corporation).

And I wouldn't even think about buying expansions and deck-building until you've really figured out the basics of the game. There's a lot of stuff to learn that is independent of cards (when to run, when NOT to rez ICE, when to install-advance-advance, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
habanero wrote:

4. Are there playmats with outlines for card and deck placement which will assist the new player with where to place everything, or do people personalize where they place cards and decks, such as in MTG?

I have made playmats of this type and the img files are in the file section of this board. There's a green one and a blue one that match Shaper and Criminal. There are others I've created and other users have created, so you can look around that files section and see what you like.

Once you pick one out you can have it printed at www.inkedplaymats.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Clark
United States
Tateville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Amunra93 wrote:
1) Deluxe expansions, their are 3 of these out so far (Creation and Control, Honor and Profit and What lies ahead. These give the best bang for buck and are a great way to jumpstart your collection. Better value then data packs. BUY THESE FIRST. THEY MAKE THE FACTIONS INSIDE THEM PLAYABLE! Cost is $20 for 3x55 cards as opposed to $10 for 3x20.

The third deluxe pack is Order and Chaos. What Lies Ahead is the first data pack.

(I'm sure you know this, though, since you recommended WLA as an important pack to buy. Just correcting the mishap for the OP ^_^)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.