10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What does Andromeda hate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amphi Prison
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I've been trying to figure out how to make Andromeda very sad. I more or less figured out what makes your typical NEH very sad (asset trashing plus R&D multiaccess), but it seems harder as a runner. Plus, I don't play Andromeda, which is probably the easiest way to figure out how to stop her, but I just have a really hard time in general.

What are your favorite strategies when Corping against Andy? If you saw nothing but Andy in tournaments for a month straight, what would you play to tech against her? (Besides/in addition to Sweeps Week, clearly XD)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Andromeda is just going to have a fast start; let's try and figure out what you're actually suffering from. Which cards are actually causing you problems?

Inside Job?
Sneakdoor?
Account Siphon?
Emergency Shutdown?
Legwork?
Something Else?

Andromeda is just a super fast runner who gets her board state quickly. Being a super fast corp or one that seals up servers to deny her credits tends to be the play, especially if she's relying on account siphon for cash. A 3x deep server on HQ quickly is going to help. You've got to watch out for the sneakdoor-shutdown play, but its possible to make Andromeda discard account siphons.

She's one of the best runners in the game, but its likely not the identity that's the problem. More information and I think we can provide you some sound advice.

---

BTW, the goto answer used to be HB Redcoats.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1141751/deck-red-coats

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most runners have a trigger in their ability, so diminishing the amount of time that trigger can happen will diminish the efficiency of the deck a lot, because it is often built around that ability to some extent. Some runners thus depend on the corp, like Santiago, and some don't, like Tenma.

The thing with Andromeda is that she doesn't have a trigger. She has a "game" ability that happens only once but that boosts her early game a lot. And the problem with that is that she can also have any other deck imaginable. You don't have so much counters to that, because except for a first turn Sweeps Week, she'll be equal to any other runner in term of Grip, Breakers, and all after turn one. She just has a huge tempo boost very early, and thus has more stuff on the table than other Runners on the first few turns. Sure, some cards like Sure Gamble are nearly a must with her, but does the Corp really have that many Turn 1 options to counter this kind of boost? I definitely could see some Targeted Marketing being played to boost the Corp just as much, assuming she will be playing the obvious economic burst cards.

And that's where her ability shines: after the first turn (and even during), she can build anything in her rig. She wants a virus deck? She can. She wants the Central Breakers? She also can. Her ability gives no restriction or incentive to build specific decks. Whichever deck you use with her, you'll have a good start. Hence why it's difficult to design a silver bullet against her. And anything even remotely affecting her tempo will totally screw any other regular runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The incapable.
The powerless.
The uncouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Andy hates lots of low cost taxing ice to shut down the best in faction econ: Security Testing.

She hates Closed Accounts because it neuters her Siphons pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amphi Prison
msg tools
mbmbmb
Gum, all of the above >< my problem is more along Phoenixio's lines; dealing effectively with a good early start is tough! Kenobob's advice seems decent: Get low-cost ice out early, don't leave out unprotected assets. I'm rather liking the Bloodlock deck as it has many solid answers to Andy's nonsense XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First-turn Housekeeping makes her sadder, but not exactly sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:

I don't think this is even true; Andromeda is the least affect by turn 1 housekeeping since she has more cards and a higher likelihood of having a duplicate card she doesn't mind discarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Opie wrote:

I don't think this is even true; Andromeda is the least affect by turn 1 housekeeping since she has more cards and a higher likelihood of having a duplicate card she doesn't mind discarding.

100% correct. The thing that Andy doesn't like to do on T1 is run (because every "normal" run results in the need to discard, so it's a reasonable play to attempt an early score against her.

You do have to be careful though, as getting your naked Astroscript scored via a dirty laundry run sucks.

Sweeps week is the other obvious counter.

Generally speaking though, Andy suffers from the same problems that criminals do - crappy in faction breakers. Generally she doesn't run more than 1 "good" barrier or code gate breaker (relying on passport / breach for backup), so program trashing is more effective than it would be than shaper (clone chip) or anarch (deja vu, may not care about rig)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also caution how you play an agenda on turn 1 (say ICE HQ, ICE remote, install agenda in remote). Inside Job is still a thing, and as ever, Andy may have at least 1 in her opening hand. She won't mind running if it uses up a card (like dirty laundry).

If you go that route, put something down you don't mind losing. You might toss a 3/1 or 3/2 (or even a 4/2), but you'll put her down one very useful event. My advice: don't be gutsy with an Astro or anything worth more than 2 points.
And if she scores it through Inside Job, follow up with an immediate next agenda (and hopefully some more econ like a hedge fund; don't leave yourself open to a no-rez HQ siphon after scoring).

The more I type, the more I realize that countering Andy is more about playing solidly yourself rather than any specific card answer. Practice really will make perfect here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls