Popular Tags: [View All]
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a lot of fun with this game, but still unclear as to whether or not the Question Master is supposed to know who the fake artist is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nope. its randomly dealt out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Why then do the cards all have different backs? I think they should know who gets the X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played both ways and I think ramdom is better.

If the QM pics the fake artist I think there is some inherent bias in there. I'll pick john because he's a funny dude.

The QM can make note of which card they marked X and then know who is fake artist but the choice should be random imo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree - the different colored backs are supposed to allow the question master to track who got the X (and help them in any subtle way they can during the discussion), but the QM is not allowed to actually choose who will get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow I always assumed and have always played that the QM knows. Otherwise the cards would have the same backs. Also, the qm and fake are on the same team so it made sense.
I like choosing the fake. Sometimes it is to play wuth the meta of the session. (It couldn't be Mary again!...could it?) But it is also strategic. Depending on the topic I might prefer the fake to go first, or last, or whenever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
for me the different backs is to remind players what colors they are using (in case you run out of markers). It doesn't really matter if the QM knows who the fake is. In fact it will be even more interesting if the QM doesn't know so that he/she can somewhat play along instead of getting left out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
On the rule sheet, under step 3, it says "The QM shuffles the tile cards and places one in front of each artist". Then it says "The QM should remember the color of the card with the X".

This says to me that the fake is assigned randomly, but the QM secretly learns who it is as soon as the cards are dealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike I
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever."
mbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Having a lot of fun with this game, but still unclear as to whether or not the Question Master is supposed to know who the fake artist is?

There are two different questions being discussed here.

1. The Question Master is not supposed to decide who will play as the fake artist. He shuffles and deals the tiles to the players. The fake artist is determined randomly.

2. The Question Master is supposed to know who the fake artist is. This is because he remembers which color tile has the X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Baygents
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
On the rule sheet, under step 3, it says "The QM shuffles the tile cards and places one in front of each artist". Then it says "The QM should remember the color of the card with the X".

This says to me that the fake is assigned randomly, but the QM secretly learns who it is as soon as the cards are dealt.

But... There's nothing that states that the QM must deal out the cards in some sort of random, non-specific manner. Thus, he *could* deal them out however he wanted and give the X to the fake of his choice.

Meh. I'm okay either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, saying "shuffle the cards and give one to each" IS saying that they are randomly given... otherwise it would just say 'pass them out'. And that idea is further reinforced by the next phrase "The QM should remember the color of the card with the X".. which, you wouldn't have to do if you just gave it who you wanted to.

It's a light/party enough of a game where I'm sure it doesn't matter whichever way your group wants to play, though. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the QM decides who makes the first mark, it seems quite important that if the QM knows who the fake artist is. They can choose it such that the fake artist is one of the last players. Of course, the other players might realize that they are doing this etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elhnad legs
msg tools
why have the question master sit out at all?

Why not use the http://fakeartist.herokuapp.com/ app
and have him partake in the action of drawing.
this app doesnt tell the QM who the fake artist is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Breese
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elhnad wrote:
why have the question master sit out at all?

Question master should not draw because he is on a team with the fake artist. He could give very obvious clues to help his teammate. It doesn't matter if QM knows who the fake artist is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.