Subject: Language dependency question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilya Oleynikov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
Hi all.
As I can see from all the reviews for the Netrunner, there are not much language dependency. Just some key-words to remember. Am I wrong? Is there really that many words? I'd like to order this game and play it with my girlfriend, but she does not know english as much as I do.
I'd also like to purchase a couple of expansions right away, not trying the game out. Should I go for the Deluxe ones, or for a couple of data packs instead? I've read a bunch of "buyer's guides", but none of them explained much to me, as I assume they are made for an already-playing-the-Netrunner audience...
Thanks to all in advance. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly, I'd disagree. You need to be able to understand which cards break the rules in interesting ways, and that text is only written on the cards themselves. Further, some can be quite unintuitive, even to people with English as a first language.

None of this is in any way intended to put you off, this is hands-down my favourite game and I love to see new people take it up, but I feel it's only fair to set realistic expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Netrunner is one of the most language-dependent games you can play. There are a number of subtleties in the cards and the rules that I'm just not sure would translate well into other languages, and non-English speakers might not understand why a card works the way it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
You should look into whether there's a printing in your language; I'm not good with flags, but you may have a translator in your region to help out. Maybe some international folks can help out with those sorts of resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
You should look into whether there's a printing in your language; I'm not good with flags, but you may have a translator in your region to help out. Maybe some international folks can help out with those sorts of resources.

Helpful BGG tip: you can hover over the flag icon to see location information (Russia in OP's case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
That is useful, the more I know:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85591/pravila-igry-rules-...

That's at least the rule book; I'm not sure if any one has dedicated any time to actually translating the cards. Something to look into, I guess. I know there are a several Russian players active in the netrunner community. Maybe they'll come along and be more helpful than I.

These are the current known language editions:
https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgameversion?linked_src...

Just in case your partner does speak another language that isn't english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Painter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:

These are the current known language editions:
https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgameversion?linked_src...

Just in case your partner does speak another language that isn't english.

It's also available in (simplified) Chinese, which isn't in that list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ILVADOL wrote:
Hi all.
As I can see from all the reviews for the Netrunner, there are not much language dependency. Just some key-words to remember. Am I wrong? Is there really that many words? I'd like to order this game and play it with my girlfriend, but she does not know english as much as I do.
I'd also like to purchase a couple of expansions right away, not trying the game out. Should I go for the Deluxe ones, or for a couple of data packs instead? I've read a bunch of "buyer's guides", but none of them explained much to me, as I assume they are made for an already-playing-the-Netrunner audience...
Thanks to all in advance. =)

As others have said, it is an extremely language-dependent game. Furthermore, it is a very difficult game to learn, even for native speakers. I don't know what kind of gamer your girlfriend is, but if she doesn't already have experience with CCG/LCGs, you have two very difficult barriers to overcome.

If you still want to try it out, then I'd advise against picking up any expansions right away. Stick with two pre-constructed decks from the core set (Shaper vs. Jinteki for example) until your girlfriend knows every card in both decks by picture alone. She can then focus on the subtleties of the game without being constantly swamped by new text.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Oleynikov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
Thanks all for your responses.
Well... I know there are a 40+ pages of rules and for me it is absolutely, positively ok. I do all the prep work (i.e. explaining the rules, deckbulding and customizing for both of us) in other games, so we can just sit and play (or learn). I just want to know whether the text on cards is logically structured and there are not much text on cards themselves. Like "If (this) do (that), otherwise do (that)".
UPDATE:
Yeah... Looking and researching for cards, I now know what you all meant... It's ok for me, but not ok for her English level. shake Thank you all anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.