Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
So according to the first bullet in the build section, one non-engine train car can be discarded from the train befor building. But the 5th bullet of the same section says the build action can be used to remove any number of train cards, not just one.

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaboda
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there!

In reading that section of the rules it seems to me the first bullet allows you to remove one train card (non-engine) before building a train car while that second one you mention is instead of building a train car you may remove any number of train cards (non-engine).

At least that's how I would read it. If I'm correct it would seem more intuitive if that was listed in the gameplay section of the build action instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaboda wrote:
Hey there!

In reading that section of the rules it seems to me the first bullet allows you to remove one train card (non-engine) before building a train car while that second one you mention is instead of building a train car you may remove any number of train cards (non-engine).

At least that's how I would read it. If I'm correct it would seem more intuitive if that was listed in the gameplay section of the build action instead.

+1 that's my interpretation, as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan K
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the fun of trying to write rules that are easy to understand! Sorry for the confusion.

Here's the intent:

1. As part of the Build action, before adding the new train car to your train, you can free up some space (if the current power of the engine minus the weight of the existing train cars doesn't leave enough remaining power to pull the new train car you want to add to the train).

This is what the first bullet is referring to. You can discard one train car from your train first, freeing up some weight capacity that you can then use to build the new train car.

For example, say you have a Level 1 Engine (power 4), with a Hopper car (weight 1), Tanker car (weight 1), and a Boxcar (weight 2). The engine is currently at full capacity, but you have a Bigger Boxcar card in hand that you would like to build, replacing the Boxcar you currently have on your train. You can do the Build action, discard the Hopper car first to free up some power, then upgrade the Boxcar to the Bigger Boxcar which has a weight of 3, and still be within the weight capacity of your Level 1 Engine.

2. The 5th bullet is referring to a fairly rare situation where you may want to discard multiple cars from your train all at once in one action. (for example if you want to reconfigure your train to carry other types of goods than it can currently available to carry, or get rid of multiple cabooses that you no longer have use for.) In this situation, since you are wanting to discard multiple cards, you are allowed to do so, but it takes up the entire Build action to do that.

Hope this helps clear things up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter B
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeltner wrote:

2. The 5th bullet is referring to a fairly rare situation where you may want to discard multiple cars from your train all at once in one action. (for example if you want to reconfigure your train to carry other types of goods than it can currently available to carry, or get rid of multiple cabooses that you no longer have use for.) In this situation, since you are wanting to discard multiple cards, you are allowed to do so, but it takes up the entire Build action to do that.

Is this changed in the second edition? I can't find bullet 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
datiswous wrote:
dkeltner wrote:

Is this changed in the second edition? I can't find bullet 5.

Yes, I believe we changed it to simplify things.

If I'm not mistaken, since it's really kinda bad to discard cars anyway, we just said you could discard as many cars as you want at the beginning of a build action, then build. It's rare that players would want to discard any cars in the first place, and discarding multiple cars is even more rare than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When discarding a loaded train car at the beginning of the build action would the cargo also be discarded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan K
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:
When discarding a loaded train car at the beginning of the build action would the cargo also be discarded?

Yes, the loaded cargo is also discarded.

(Note that when you Upgrade a train car, however, the cargo stays with the newer version of that car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.