Jeff Hendrycks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If those question has been asked before I apologize. I did a brief search and couldn't find my answer. My fiance and I want to get in to dust tactics but are unsure what is the best way to do so. Is it better to start with the ssu/axis/allies starter sets or the revised core set? What are the advantages of one over the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FutureProdigy wrote:
If those question has been asked before I apologize. I did a brief search and couldn't find my answer. My fiance and I want to get in to dust tactics but are unsure what is the best way to do so. Is it better to start with the ssu/axis/allies starter sets or the revised core set? What are the advantages of one over the other.

The starter sets come with one walker and one faction, while the core revised sets come with walkers on each side and two different factions. Personally I'd go with the core set as it gives you the true oppositional experience the game is designed for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hendrycks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, I actually meant 2 starter sets versus one revised core set. Sorry about that. With that in mind do you still consider the revised set the better starting point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The revised.

Because of the ruleset.

The revised uses the old v1 ruleset, which is imo, far superior to v2.

The starters uses a light version of v2, but the stats of the units included in the starters are not v2 compatible. Which means that if you want to expand your starters, you'll need to buy the expansive v2 rulebook AND at least 2 faction card packs for each of your two starters.

... and now there's talk of a coming v3. Coming this soon after v2 has barely come out means to me they found v2 to be problematic.

If you ask me, unless you're desperate, save yourself the trouble and avoid Dust Tactics altogether. This game's a mess (if you havn't figured it out by the rulesets problem).
The game's barely 4 years old and we already have these rulesets:
- v1
- v1 revised
- starter set v2
- v2
- Dust Battlefield
- Dust Warfare
- supposedly upcomming v3
- supposedly upcomming Warfare v2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hendrycks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
The revised.

Because of the ruleset.

The revised uses the old v1 ruleset, which is imo, far superior to v2.

The starters uses a light version of v2, but the stats of the units included in the starters are not v2 compatible. Which means that if you want to expand your starters, you'll need to buy the expansive v2 rulebook AND at least 2 faction card packs for each of your two starters.

... and now there's talk of a coming v3. Coming this soon after v2 has barely come out means to me they found v2 to be problematic.

If you ask me, unless you're desperate, save yourself the trouble and avoid Dust Tactics altogether. This game's a mess (if you havn't figured it out by the rulesets problem).
The game's barely 4 years old and we already have these rulesets:
- v1
- v1 revised
- starter set v2
- v2
- Dust Battlefield
- Dust Warfare
- supposedly upcomming v3
- supposedly upcomming Warfare v2

I was looking for a gateway game to get my fiance in to wargames with the the final end goal eventually being full blown minis but with what you said maybe I'll stick to another system. I was also considering deadzone and infinity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.