Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my first play of Divorce! The Game today with my good friend who recently went through a divorce herself. We really enjoyed this game and thought the humor was spot on. We had a little confusion at first with the components but then my opponent figured out how to do the clips for the children cards.

I had sleeved my cards so I'm not sure that they were in the original order intended. The yacht was the first major asset to come up at a time when neither of us had any lawyers. I had been collecting more assets than my opponent at that time and had more points with the kids so I decided to let my opponent "win" the yacht as I got a lawyer out of it and she got the burden of paying $5,000 every turn in dock fees (which she did for 3 turns before she pawned it). I won the next major asset of the House which my opponent promptly paid to burn it. By the time that the car came up neither of us really wanted it and tied so it was recycled to the bottom of the deck for an interesting end game.

As the game unfolded my opponent continued to collect lawyers and I continued to collect assets. I had two lawyers by the end of the game and used them once to repo the last of the 3 part painting and my opponent did the same to repo the last of the stock options from me. I'm not sure what my opponent did with her money because I had far more assets by the end of the game and she had the yacht (because I allowed her to unpawn it for $10,000 which probably wasn't correct ... but it didn't matter). I had given her the Sugar Daddy card and had given her a few other goodies that he wrecked her relationship with the children as we headed into the last turn.

The car came up along with the mistrial card. I actually played to lose so that I could get the mistrial card and I used it to return the car and the board game collection to the deck. Now, I'm not sure if we played it right but we took one more turn with those two items. We ended up tieing in our legal battle and the way that I read the rules was that both items went to the bottom of the deck and we took that as our final turn and left the assets unclaimed.

In the end my opponent had the yacht and 5 of the 7 lawyers while I had no major assets, a bunch of smaller assets, and both children. I ended up beating her by more than $100,000 because I only had two lawyers and my children ended up being my biggest asset. My opponent, however, ended up with her dignity ... which was worthless of course.

My assessment is that this was a great and fun game that pokes fun at something that so many of us have experienced. I think that the game will have a decent replay value and that it will continue to be fun over multiple play sessions (though there was something nice about discovering the cards as they came out the first time). We didn't use our lawyers all that much which may have made a difference but future play will tell. I think that I would give this game a rating of 6.5 to 7 because it was fun, unique, but you will have to have the right audience to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana
United States
flag msg tools
jedijawa74 wrote:
... but you will have to have the right audience to play it.

As with a lot of games I suppose. But yes, this one specifically.
Thanks for the report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.