Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Baseball Highlights: 2045» Forums » General

Subject: Mini Games - Why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I don't own the game but have browsed through the rules.

The only purpose of mini games I could see was to draft afterward in free agency. However there seems no incentive to win if the person with the lowest points chooses who to buy first and if tied the loser decides. So, why would I even care about winning the mini games before the best of 7?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner of that series gets home field advantage in the World Series.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And this game is so much fun you will want to play a ton of games!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
it matters for seeding in a tournament setting certainly.

it's also been said by the designer several times that you don't HAVE to play the pre-tournament games out, just draw the hand and count your earnings right there.

If you're playing where extra innings cards played would count towards income, however, then you definitely will want to have played out the games even if the wins "don't matter" for the overal game session.

Plus it's just fun, so why not?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Rick stated, it gives home field advantage (2-3-2) in the World Series. That can become even more important when you add the coaches. Also, it helps me get a feel for how my deck is playing out. Even though it's only three games, I'll probably have added two or maybe even up to 4 new recruits before the third mini game.

As far as caring about winning the mini games, I don't care if I win them or not. What I do care about it playing to have the most money available to make my purchase. So I might discard a pinch hitter with a low purchase value to use my on-deck player that has a higher purchase value. By the same reasoning, I might not put anyone on deck if my hand has all high purchase value players.

Going second in the buy portion is IMHO much better because I get to watch what my opponent has selected and what he sent to the minors. I can then make a purchase based on those choices. Paying attention to what your opponents does in the mini game buys is very helpful.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
As Rick stated, it gives home field advantage (2-3-2) in the World Series. That can become even more important when you add the coaches. Also, it helps me get a feel for how my deck is playing out. Even though it's only three games, I'll probably have added two or maybe even up to 4 new recruits before the third mini game.

As far as caring about winning the mini games, I don't care if I win them or not. What I do care about it playing to have the most money available to make my purchase. So I might discard a pinch hitter with a low purchase value to use my on-deck player that has a higher purchase value. By the same reasoning, I might not put anyone on deck if my hand has all high purchase value players.

Going second in the buy portion is IMHO much better because I get to watch what my opponent has selected and what he sent to the minors. I can then make a purchase based on those choices. Paying attention to what your opponents does in the mini game buys is very helpful.


I totally agree with your points except for one minor thing. When I go first, I don't send my player down to the minors until after I see what the player who went second purchased. Do the rules say otherwise?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question, Rick.

If there is a concern in timing -
---Both players buy new Free Agents.
---Then both players send players to the Minor Leagues.

MINI-GAMES
Just to be clear - every play of six cards is a mini-game - not just the first three mini-games before the "World Series".

The mini-games with the buy round after each mini-game is the framework that lets all the magical gaming goodness happen.

In general play you will have 7-10 mini-games in total. This allows you to properly build your team. Think of the first three mini-games as the season games where you got to get to know the other team as it shapes up.

And I really love the good sportsmanship of everyone jumping in to help! Thanks!

best,
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for your answers. Looks like the main advantage then is home field. Looks like a great game, one that is definitely on my radar. Just trying to decide between base game and deluxe version.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game either, and the Mini Games seem to be worthless to me, if not just wrong, because it's all about luck of having the right amount of money to draft the correct randomly-dealt All-star players. If I play the game, I would have to make a house rule of for each mini-game you win, you get an extra $2 to use for drafting after that game. Only then that it will be worth something to win those games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:
I don't have the game either, and the Mini Games seem to be worthless to me, if not just wrong, because it's all about luck of having the right amount of money to draft the correct randomly-dealt All-star players. If I play the game, I would have to make a house rule of for each mini-game you win, you get an extra $2 to use for drafting after that game. Only then that it will be worth something to win those games.


Also the Theory of Relativity seems pointless to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:
I don't have the game either, and the Mini Games seem to be worthless to me, if not just wrong, because it's all about luck of having the right amount of money to draft the correct randomly-dealt All-star players. If I play the game, I would have to make a house rule of for each mini-game you win, you get an extra $2 to use for drafting after that game. Only then that it will be worth something to win those games.


I actually like this idea - definitely would add a little tension to the mini game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:
I don't have the game either, and the Mini Games seem to be worthless to me, if not just wrong, because it's all about luck of having the right amount of money to draft the correct randomly-dealt All-star players. If I play the game, I would have to make a house rule of for each mini-game you win, you get an extra $2 to use for drafting after that game. Only then that it will be worth something to win those games.

I was considering doing the same thing.
I had only $1 extra in mind though -- goes to show what a cheap bastard I am.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson wrote:
So, why would I even care about winning the mini games before the best of 7?

I actually question why you would care about winning the best of 7 if you're already wondering about why you would care about winning the mini-games.

Games are fun! I'm not playing just to reach an outcome. I'm playing to enjoy the game! I don't attend baseball games just to see who wins. I attend them to enjoy the things that happen throughout the whole match. Even when it's obvious my team is going to lose (or win), I stick around just in case there's going to be a diving catch in center field or to high five my friends when that "just-in-time" throw hits the first baseman's glove ahead of the runner.

I do understand that there are different kinds of sports fans, though, who appreciate different things. I just lament the move to production, efficiency, money, and outcome over the timeless recreational pastime built in to the singular experience. Enjoy the game of baseball!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.