Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Inside Another Game (Either gut an existing loser game or take the hit for one big one and put multiples inside.)

Chesapeake-opoly is remarkably similar to Monopoly in all the ways that you don’t want it to be. However, it comes in a taller, wider box with a remarkable amount of space considering its contents. Received as a Christmas gift early in our marriage it sat unused for a period of years until it dawned on me that the inside of that box was valuable volume that was being underutilized. The insides of other game boxes largely fall into two strategy categories – 1) existing game boxes that you’ve already paid dues for that can be pressed into service regardless of their size or shape. These are not as valuable as 2) great big games that you take the heat for buying once and then store as many as six (even eight) smaller games inside of. Savvy game hiders will ask their spouse for the larger game for Christmas to avoid punishment entirely, empty the contents into a plastic bag and drop them on some random kid in a neighborhood at least ten miles away, and then store their smaller purchases like Queens Necklace or Lost Cities in it.

Pros:
1. Storage is in a safe, climate controlled area.
2. Obscenely easy to access to games on short notice by grabbing the big box and heading out the door (“Bye Hon – I’m heading to Glen’s place and I have my game -- we’re playing Talking Battleship . . . again! It was such a thoughtful gift; you’re the greatest.”)
Cons:
1. Game box is vulnerable to inspection if a guest in the house takes interest and asks to see its contents.

With a bit of care I managed to conceal several smaller games in a Heroscape box for an extended period of time. As luck would have it I still had the contents of Heroscape in a basket on top of the bookshelf when my ten-year-old nephew took an interest in the box. Heroscape has a nasty-looking critter on the box – fully sufficient to scare off most wives but might not be the best choice for husbands.

I had not considered the nephew until I was nearly found out. An explanation that I couldn’t get the pieces back in the box (true enough) and that it was empty short-circuited the crisis, and he quickly got taken in by the lovely bits and pieces when I pulled the basket down off of the shelf above.

Big boxes are the most straightforward example of Obscurity which does not depend on Security. If your spouse has no interest in gaming, this is an excellent way to ease a few extra boxes into the house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilty as charged

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good one, and one I actually hadn't thought of. Time to ditch those Lionheart bits, since I think at least 2 Alea big-boxes would fit inside! *the smell you smell is evil plan hatching*

Please, do not tell wife... or I will be execute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
This is a good one, and one I actually hadn't thought of. Time to ditch those Lionheart bits, since I think at least 2 Alea big-boxes would fit inside! *the smell you smell is evil plan hatching*

I'll take those Lionheart bits off your hands for a few bucks + shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like "Inside another game" WAS one of your options. Nice!

Mostly, I use this one to save space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Carcassone box currently holds:
-Carcassonne plus Inns & Cathedrals, and Builders & Traders
-Castle
-Battle Line
-Citadel

More for traveling than hiding, but it works! Nothing drives me nuts more than games that have HUGE boxes for a deck of cards/tiles and a handful of bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:
My Carcassone box currently holds:
Nothing drives me nuts more than games that have HUGE boxes for a deck of cards/tiles and a handful of bits.

Me too! I live in a tiny apartment so space is at a premium, and I hate the wastefulness of a huge box that is mostly empty.

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've had more than one small game go missing for months because I couldn't remember which larger-box game I stowed it in.

(This was stowing a small game in a big game for travel convenience, not home storage or concealment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
HuckmanT wrote:

I'll take those Lionheart bits off your hands for a few bucks + shipping.

I have a copy I'll sell you (box and all). Got it as a gift, and never played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
I've had more than one small game go missing for months because I couldn't remember which larger-box game I stowed it in.

(This was stowing a small game in a big game for travel convenience, not home storage or concealment).

You read my mind! (or did I read yours? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.