Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe. It could be that you're actually an astrophysicist like him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
And in 3....2....1.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironic, coming from someone who made a bundle of cash hosting a TV show highlighting the divisions of the past instead of using it as a platform to show how opposing groups can find some sort of common ground and move forward.

I like the attempt, but I find I'd respect it more coming from someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everytime I hear about Neil deGrasse Tyson these days my opinion of him as a great scientist diminishes and he increases my suspicion of him on the political pundit front.

I could probably agree with the pledge as written here but I just find it to be annoying coming from him. Doesn't a astrophysicist have more interesting things to comment on than partisan politics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Doesn't a astrophysicist have more interesting things to comment on than partisan politics?

Does one have to preclude the other? He can't take an interest or express an opinion on politics because he's best know for something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never recite the "pledge of allegiance" as its a silly jingle for a magazine from a by gone era. I've nearly come to blows over it at a few interesting places.

I follow what Mark Twain said about it.Reciting the pledge is treasonous.

So, this pledge has about the same level of respect from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Everytime I hear about Neil deGrasse Tyson these days my opinion of him as a great scientist diminishes and he increases my suspicion of him on the political pundit front.

I could probably agree with the pledge as written here but I just find it to be annoying coming from him. Doesn't a astrophysicist have more interesting things to comment on than partisan politics?

It's from his Twitter feed, where he does certainly make astrophysics observations, but also makes jokes about popular culture, TV and movies, "vampires and dead people"...

...and otherwise chatter along conversationally as most people do on Twitter.

I don't think I'd read any of these things to be anything more than most Twitter conversations - typical hanging-out-in-a-bar-drinking-pints sort of random conversations and musings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:

And why did the cop pull you over? Aren't there real crimes out there?

Sorry, but while I do agree that he is letting fame go to his head a bit, I don't think it reflects on his scientific knowledge. It's just that, like science itself, it's getting to be less and less about what is known and more about what they think it tells us.

My NdGT fatigue is not to George Takai level yet, but it's growing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NdGT can do what ever the hell he wants. I'll not obsess over his twitter feed. I did find his thoughts on the movies Interstellar and Gravity interesting but he had some expertise that made it so.

I enjoy George Takei's posts, my dislike of NdGT's social commentary is purely my own taste, irrational as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Sorry, but while I do agree that he is letting fame go to his head a bit, I don't think it reflects on his scientific knowledge. It's just that, like science itself, it's getting to be less and less about what is known and more about what they think it tells us.

As I've observed before, science as an institution loses credibility as its advocates allow it to become more and more partisan in perception.

Then they wonder why they are losing credibility and esteem, except with those who are on board with their pontifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

pwn3d wrote:

It looks about right to me, I am guess I am a Communist too.

It's a darkly appropriate and satiric point since it's all too obvious that Tyson is clearly attacking the deterioration of the USA from a democratic republic into a plutocratic corptocracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
ironcates wrote:

He was never a "great scientist" anyway. He's just the director of a planetarium that was famous for being a place that famous people liked to hold parties. And now, of course, he's famous for being a serial fabulist.

Typical for RSP and a normal manifestation of the diseased minds that embrace liberal/progressive ideology.

In this case you have an administrator with a degree who suffers from frequent public bouts of paramnesia and yet because he fits the socially acceptable hero image of the half-black semi-scientist who as Joe Biden would put it "Talks pretty normal for a black man", anything he expounds upon is worshiped with all the slavish devotion of an Aztec blood sacrifice.

That's how we get guys who are more interested in getting Twitter followers being requoted on subjects they aren't especially informed about. The RSP norm is this - if you adhere to the accepted reality of liberal/progressive principal then anything you say on any subject is validation for all the hollow and soulless Libtards who have terrible aching voids inside them that cannot be filled up with moral relativism, a complete lack of principal, and total failure to develop any noticeable level of intellectual self-discipline.

So science people are experts on LGBT issues and people who give TED talks on 3D printing technology become opinion leaders on early childhood education whereas actual educators who have degrees in teaching and teach math are opinion leaders on man-caused global warming. The need is strong to find public figures that will validate the shaky and easily disproven effectiveness and good of a tainted ideology that has never accomplished anything but creating grief for the millions of it's victims and wealth, power and fame for the self-anointed few who dispense and oversee the ideology.

Which is why George Takei is an authority on everything. Really. Everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it really odd that anyone here on RSP would attack NdGT over this particular statement. I don't recall hearing a lot of disagreement in regards to how poor of a job our political system is currently doing for us regardless of which side of the aisle you sit on. Clearly both political parties are in thrall to those who have the money to fund their campaigns, which is exactly what NdGT was saying. I don't see this as an issue that is specific to Republicans or Democrats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I find it really odd that anyone here on RSP would attack NdGT over this particular statement. I don't recall hearing a lot of disagreement in regards to how poor of a job our political system is currently doing for us regardless of which side of the aisle you sit on. Clearly both political parties are in thrall to those who have the money to fund their campaigns, which is exactly what NdGT was saying. I don't see this as an issue that is specific to Republicans or Democrats.

I don't agree that "our political system" is doing a poor job. I can agree that there are aspects on the national level that need correction and that funding is just one of several things that if changed would be more beneficial and serve the interests of more people.

But that's hardly an indictment on the representative republic system or the democratic voting system. So yeah, I think the guy is a fucking moron for Tweeting that idiotic and clueless bit of drool. Which pretty much tells you that I think even less of the intelligence and trustworthiness of the uninformed mobs who vote their fashion sense and adore the candidates and public figures who make the wittiest memes that can be condensed to 140 characters.

Most vital political and bureaucratic functions still occur on a local state or county, town level. And the moronic sentiment that deGrasse blathers about here is meaningless in that context and also, to a lesser extent, on a national level. An individual can have allegiance to this nation for a multitude of reasons ranging from the cultural to the historic to the meaning of the human struggle for morality and fairness, he can feel that allegiance because of his grasp of how that nation came to be and how improbable and amazing it is that in the history of all mankind one collection of people from almost uncountable number of backgrounds and disciplines managed to formulate a single entity out of a 3,000 mile wide piece of real estate. And to keep that together now for well over 200 years while simultaneously promoting science, the arts, humanitarian efforts, freedoms that are lacking in the majority of nations still such as religion and speech.... that's one hell of a motivator to pledge allegiance for. Wouldn't you think? Fuck, I'm not even a believer in God and I fucking well will say the words because I'm not a clueless moron who is willingly obtuse about the role belief in God and religion played in creating America.

As for "attacking" deGrasse, fuck him. He spreads ignorance by being a fucking ignorant panderer to social media, brain-eating memes and all other manner of intelligence reducing habits that are slowly reducing the will of the instant gratification seeking hordes to even question anything one of their pop icons Tweets.

Being stupid is the only crime that matters and deGrasse is a stupid man when it comes to America and how important it is to the world community. We don't need to change political funding near as badly as we need to change our opinion leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen.

I like Tyson as a promoter and populizer of science. Beyond that, I don't find anything enlightening or even useful in anything he has to say.

Usually the opposite.

He is a secular liberal fortune cookie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

The statement itself I don't disagree with. It just comes off as a bit ironic to me since he focuses some on there being divisions, and he hasn't done much himself to help heal those rifts. Pointing out what's wrong right now? No problem. Him coming off as if he's above it all and not done his part to keep furthering those divisions? Not so keen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
The pledge is the silly little thing they created for grade schoolers to recite each morning to settle them down before the lecture to come, and little else. And since Texans are a little more fidgety, they threw in the Texas pledge as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:
sfox wrote:

I don't agree that "our political system" is doing a poor job. I can agree that there are aspects on the national level that need correction and that funding is just one of several things that if changed would be more beneficial and serve the interests of more people.

But that's hardly an indictment on the representative republic system or the democratic voting system. So yeah, I think the guy is a fucking moron for Tweeting that idiotic and clueless bit of drool. Which pretty much tells you that I think even less of the intelligence and trustworthiness of the uninformed mobs who vote their fashion sense and adore the candidates and public figures who make the wittiest memes that can be condensed to 140 characters.

Most vital political and bureaucratic functions still occur on a local state or county, town level. And the moronic sentiment that deGrasse blathers about here is meaningless in that context and also, to a lesser extent, on a national level. An individual can have allegiance to this nation for a multitude of reasons ranging from the cultural to the historic to the meaning of the human struggle for morality and fairness, he can feel that allegiance because of his grasp of how that nation came to be and how improbable and amazing it is that in the history of all mankind one collection of people from almost uncountable number of backgrounds and disciplines managed to formulate a single entity out of a 3,000 mile wide piece of real estate. And to keep that together now for well over 200 years while simultaneously promoting science, the arts, humanitarian efforts, freedoms that are lacking in the majority of nations still such as religion and speech.... that's one hell of a motivator to pledge allegiance for. Wouldn't you think? Fuck, I'm not even a believer in God and I fucking well will say the words because I'm not a clueless moron who is willingly obtuse about the role belief in God and religion played in creating America.

As for "attacking" deGrasse, fuck him. He spreads ignorance by being a fucking ignorant panderer to social media, brain-eating memes and all other manner of intelligence reducing habits that are slowly reducing the will of the instant gratification seeking hordes to even question anything one of their pop icons Tweets.

Being stupid is the only crime that matters and deGrasse is a stupid man when it comes to America and how important it is to the world community. We don't need to change political funding near as badly as we need to change our opinion leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't think America has tilted towards a plutocracy as of late, you either don't know what plutocracy is or have no idea what's been going on.

The number one priority of every voter of all political stripes should be to get money out of politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, why're folks calling this 'Partisan' again? 'Shit's broken' doesn't seem exactly partisan to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
If you don't think America has tilted towards a plutocracy as of late, you either don't know what plutocracy is or have no idea what's been going on.

The number one priority of every voter of all political stripes should be to get money out of politics.

I thought that was the reason for politics. It would be like imploring playwrights to write their musicals without songs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
So, why're folks calling this 'Partisan' again? 'Shit's broken' doesn't seem exactly partisan to me.

Because he has been happy to profit from being one of the faces of ongoing side-choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
ironcates wrote:

He was never a "great scientist" anyway. He's just the director of a planetarium that was famous for being a place that famous people liked to hold parties. And now, of course, he's famous for being a serial fabulist.

Here's Dr. Tyson's publication CV.

The Faint-End Slopes of Galaxy Luminosity Functions in the COSMOS Field
Liu, C. T.; Capak, P.; Mobasher, B.; Paglione, T. A. D.; Scoville, N. Z.; Tribiano, S. M.; and Tyson, N. D.
2008, Astrophysical Journal Letters, v.672, p.198

COSMOS: Hubble Space Telescope Observations
Scoville, N.; Abraham, R. G.; Aussel, H.; Barnes, J. E.; Benson, A.; Blain, A. W.; Calzetti, D.; Comastri, A.; Capak, P.; Carilli, C.; Carlstrom, J. E.; Carollo, C. M.; Colbert, J.; Daddi, E.; Ellis, R. S.; Elvis, M.; Ewald, S. P.; Fall, M.; Franceschini, A.; Giavalisco, M.; Green, W.; Griffiths, R. E.; Guzzo, L.; Hasinger, G.; Impey, C.; Kneib, J.-P.; Koda, J.; Koekemoer, A.; Lefevre, O.; Lilly, S.; Liu, C. T.; McCracken, H. J.; Massey, R.; Mellier, Y.; Miyazaki, S.; Mobasher, B.; Mould, J.; Norman, C.; Refregier, A.; Renzini, A.; Rhodes, J.; Rich, M.; Sanders, D. B.; Schiminovich, D.; Schinnerer, E.; Scodeggio, M.; Sheth, K.; Shopbell, P. L.; Taniguchi, Y.; Tyson, N. D.; Urry, C. M.; Van Waerbeke, L.; Vettolani, P.; White, S. D. M.; Yan, L.
2007, Astrophysical Journal Supplement, v.172, p.38

The Cosmic Evolution Survey (COSMOS): Overview
Scoville, N.; Aussel, H.; Brusa, M.; Capak, P.; Carollo, C. M.; Elvis, M.; Giavalisco, M.; Guzzo, L.; Hasinger, G.; Impey, C.; Kneib, J.-P.; LeFevre, O. S.; Lilly, J.; Mobasher, B.; Renzini, A.; Rich, R. M.; Sanders, D. B.; Schinnerer, E.; Schminovich, D.; Shopbell, P.; Taniguchi, Y.; and Tyson, N. D.

2007, Astrophysical Journal Supplement, v.172, p.1
Optical light curves of the Type IA supernovae SN 1990N and 1991T
P. Lira, et al.
1998, Astronomical Journal, v.115, p.234
(See also Erratum: 1998, Astronomical Journal, v.116, p.1006)

BVRI Light Curves For 29 Type Ia Supernovae
M. Hamuy, et al.
1996, Astronomical Journal, v.112, p.2408

The Type Ia Supernova 1989B in NGC3627 (M66)
L. A. Wells, et al.
1994, Astronomical Journal, v.108, p.2233

The Expanding Photosphere Method Applied to SN1992am at cz = 14600 km/s
B. P. Schmidt, et al.
1994, Astronomical Journal, v.107, p.1444

On the Possibility of a Major Impact on the Uranus in the Past Century
Neil D. Tyson, Michael W. Richmond, Michael Woodhams, & Luca Ciotti
1993, Astronomy & Astrophysics (Research Notes), v.275, p.630

An Exposure Guide for Taking Twilight Flatfields with Large Format CCDs
Neil D. Tyson & Roy R. Gal
1993, Astronomical Journal, v.105, p.1206

Radial Velocity Distribution and Line Strengths of 33 Carbon Stars in the Galactic Bulge
Neil D. Tyson & R. Michael Rich
1991, Astrophysical Journal, v.367, p.547

On the possibility of Gas-Rich Dwarf Galaxies in the Lyman-alpha Forest
Neil D. Tyson
1988, Astrophysical Journal (Letters), v.329, p.L57

Bursting Dwarf Galaxies: Implications for Luminosity Function, Space Density, and Cosmological Mass Density
Neil D. Tyson & John M. Scalo
1988, Astrophysical Journal, v.329, p.618

uvby Photometry of Blue Stragglers in NGC 7789
Bruce A. Twarog & Neil D. Tyson
1985, Astronomical Journal, v.90, p.1247

Clearly, he doesn't know shit.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
ironcates wrote:

Here's Dr. Tyson's publication CV.

The Faint-End Slopes of Galaxy Luminosity Functions in the COSMOS Field
Liu, C. T.; Capak, P.; Mobasher, B.; Paglione, T. A. D.; Scoville, N. Z.; Tribiano, S. M.; and Tyson, N. D.
2008, Astrophysical Journal Letters, v.672, p.198

COSMOS: Hubble Space Telescope Observations
Scoville, N.; Abraham, R. G.; Aussel, H.; Barnes, J. E.; Benson, A.; Blain, A. W.; Calzetti, D.; Comastri, A.; Capak, P.; Carilli, C.; Carlstrom, J. E.; Carollo, C. M.; Colbert, J.; Daddi, E.; Ellis, R. S.; Elvis, M.; Ewald, S. P.; Fall, M.; Franceschini, A.; Giavalisco, M.; Green, W.; Griffiths, R. E.; Guzzo, L.; Hasinger, G.; Impey, C.; Kneib, J.-P.; Koda, J.; Koekemoer, A.; Lefevre, O.; Lilly, S.; Liu, C. T.; McCracken, H. J.; Massey, R.; Mellier, Y.; Miyazaki, S.; Mobasher, B.; Mould, J.; Norman, C.; Refregier, A.; Renzini, A.; Rhodes, J.; Rich, M.; Sanders, D. B.; Schiminovich, D.; Schinnerer, E.; Scodeggio, M.; Sheth, K.; Shopbell, P. L.; Taniguchi, Y.; Tyson, N. D.; Urry, C. M.; Van Waerbeke, L.; Vettolani, P.; White, S. D. M.; Yan, L.
2007, Astrophysical Journal Supplement, v.172, p.38

The Cosmic Evolution Survey (COSMOS): Overview
Scoville, N.; Aussel, H.; Brusa, M.; Capak, P.; Carollo, C. M.; Elvis, M.; Giavalisco, M.; Guzzo, L.; Hasinger, G.; Impey, C.; Kneib, J.-P.; LeFevre, O. S.; Lilly, J.; Mobasher, B.; Renzini, A.; Rich, R. M.; Sanders, D. B.; Schinnerer, E.; Schminovich, D.; Shopbell, P.; Taniguchi, Y.; and Tyson, N. D.

2007, Astrophysical Journal Supplement, v.172, p.1
Optical light curves of the Type IA supernovae SN 1990N and 1991T
P. Lira, et al.
1998, Astronomical Journal, v.115, p.234
(See also Erratum: 1998, Astronomical Journal, v.116, p.1006)

BVRI Light Curves For 29 Type Ia Supernovae
M. Hamuy, et al.
1996, Astronomical Journal, v.112, p.2408

The Type Ia Supernova 1989B in NGC3627 (M66)
L. A. Wells, et al.
1994, Astronomical Journal, v.108, p.2233

The Expanding Photosphere Method Applied to SN1992am at cz = 14600 km/s
B. P. Schmidt, et al.
1994, Astronomical Journal, v.107, p.1444

On the Possibility of a Major Impact on the Uranus in the Past Century
Neil D. Tyson, Michael W. Richmond, Michael Woodhams, & Luca Ciotti
1993, Astronomy & Astrophysics (Research Notes), v.275, p.630

An Exposure Guide for Taking Twilight Flatfields with Large Format CCDs
Neil D. Tyson & Roy R. Gal
1993, Astronomical Journal, v.105, p.1206

Radial Velocity Distribution and Line Strengths of 33 Carbon Stars in the Galactic Bulge
Neil D. Tyson & R. Michael Rich
1991, Astrophysical Journal, v.367, p.547

On the possibility of Gas-Rich Dwarf Galaxies in the Lyman-alpha Forest
Neil D. Tyson
1988, Astrophysical Journal (Letters), v.329, p.L57

Bursting Dwarf Galaxies: Implications for Luminosity Function, Space Density, and Cosmological Mass Density
Neil D. Tyson & John M. Scalo
1988, Astrophysical Journal, v.329, p.618

uvby Photometry of Blue Stragglers in NGC 7789
Bruce A. Twarog & Neil D. Tyson
1985, Astronomical Journal, v.90, p.1247

Clearly, he doesn't know shit.

Darilian

How am I supposed to know if he's a good scientist or not if I only understand every fifth word in the titles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you mean? It's fairly straightforward. You just have to realize he's involved wuth the COSMOS survey project.

Oh, and that Type Ia supernovae are used for calibrating distances of astronomical objects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.