flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameGeek
BoardGameNerd
BoardGameDork

The first one works well, the others not so much.

When I was in college, a Norwegian exchange student asked my friends to define the differences between a geek, nerd, and dork. We had a tough time, and settled with the ol' "can't define it, but I know it when I see it." I'd be interested if this learned gathering of geeks can do any better! I'll go first:

To me, a nerd suggests an interest in math or science, and implies a certain amount of scholarly/educational interest/achievement. There was a time that "nerd" was an insult (see any teen movie from the '80's), but I think the advent of the internet has made it widely known that nerds are firmly in charge of everything. I don't think that nerd even implies any amount of social maladjustment anymore. If someone was to call me a nerd as an insult, I think I'd be amused at being called something I freely embrace. Nerd Pride!

To me, a geek is someone who has a strong interest in one of The Traditional Kingdoms of Geekery (patent pending), including (but not limited to) science fiction, fantasy, gaming, computers, comics, military history, and hitting each other with foam-padded bats. Or is a geek anyone who takes an interest in a topic far beyond what is considered socially normal? Can one be an air conditioning repair geek? An arabian horse geek? Maybe geek is a term that has expanded beyond its traditional boundaries, and now simply denotes "enthusiast." Personally, I'd feel better in a world where one could rely on the fact that all geeks could discuss Cylons and Mind Flayers and such.

I think that some degree of social retardation is required to be a dork. BO helps, as does wiping your fingers on your shirt after eating a jumbo bag of Cheetos. Dorkiness is not synonymous with ugliness. There must be a problem recognizing others' personal space, extremely poor dental hygene (even by lax local standards (not naming names, but casts a quick glance eastwards over the Atlantic Ocean)), a preternaturally drippy nose, etc.

Almost all geeks are nerds. Many nerds are neither geeks nor dorks. It is common to meet a dork who is neither a geek or a nerd. However, the trifecta of nerd/geek/dork is also common, as evidenced by your local gaming con.

I'm very "out" as a geek and a nerd. Calling me a dork would hurt my feelings a bit.

P.S. My mom says I'm cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A geek is a nerd plus some social skills.

A dork is a nerd minus the intelligence.

Your definition of nerd works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm well known in some other circles than this one as a "Fire Geek"; meaning that I have a pretty good grip on fire behavior and suppression theory. So maybe there's more "kingdoms" of geekery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmm at my school the term was 'goggy' which basically meant anyone with a non-sporting non-schoolwork interest. So you had theatre goggies, music goggies, and gaming goggies if they bothered to notice us at all.meeple

I guess a geek is a geek with regard to something- or many things, but there is at least one thing he is geeky about, meaning knowledge and interest, and focus. I don't know so much about the other two. Dork seems pretty close to 'jerk', pardon my American.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Dork seems pretty close to 'jerk', pardon my American.meeple

To my American mind, jerks intentionally offend, whereas dorks do it unintentionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:
I'm well known in some other circles than this one as a "Fire Geek"; meaning that I have a pretty good grip on fire behavior and suppression theory. So maybe there's more "kingdoms" of geekery?

Yeah, I think nowadays "enthusiast" and "geek" are just about the same thing. I'd bet that in many people's jobs, being a geek for that particular subject is necessary for competence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently took some online test that helped to determine where I fall between the three. I'll have to find it and post it. Maybe I'll also post the alignment quiz while I'm at it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
cradleofmilk wrote:
I recently took some online test that helped to determine where I fall between the three. I'll have to find it and post it. Maybe I'll also post the alignment quiz while I'm at it ...

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=9935030990046738815

That'll learn me for posting without the requisite Google search....

It makes me feel like an Astrology-believing moron for admitting it, but I tended to agree with the above test's result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a wargame geek but my ex-boss used to call me a wargame nerd. Here is how I defined the difference.

Let's say I'm playing C&C:Ancients against a wargame nerd.

As a geek I say this. "My Heavy Infantry is moving here and attacking your Mediums and my Auxilary will throw two dice against your Elephants, there."

The WG Nerd says. "My Warriors come over the hill. YAHHHHHHHHHH!Kill! Kill! and (holding up arm to nose and making loud trumpeting noises) my Elephants CHARGE! your heavy Infantry."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerd: "Mr. President! We must delay the shuttle launch!"

Geek: "I disagree, Frodo, Nanoha Takamachi and Honor Harrington (Supported by the 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich) could easily defeat Han Solo, Harry Potter and James T. Kirk at the Battle of Antietam"

Dork: "Hey baby, Is heaven missing an angel? Cause you've got a great pair of jugs"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took the test, here are my results:

Joe Normal
34 % Nerd, 39% Geek, 21% Dork
For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored less than half in all three, earning you the title of: Joe Normal.

This is not to say that you don't have some Nerd, Geek or Dork inside of you--we all do, and you can see the percentages you have right above. This is just to say that none of those qualities stand out so much as to define you. Sure, you enjoy an episode of Star Trek now and again, and yeah, you kinda enjoyed a few classes back in the day. And, once in a while, you stumble while walking down the street even though there was nothing there to cause you to trip. But, for the most part, you look and act fairly typically, and aren't much of an outcast.

I'd say there's a fair chance someone asked you to take this test. In any event, fairly normal.

Congratulations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.

I agree with this!

See also: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/question/4127

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.