5 Posts

Victory in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Kiel canal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
Ron;

Is the Kiel Canal effectively a sea zone for movement?

Quote:
German naval units may move through the Kiel Canal counting the canal area (Hamburg) in their move.

Can naval units move from Bremen to Hamburg to Stettin, or the reverse, without entering the SE North Sea area?

If the Kiel Canal makes Hamburg effectively a sea area for Germany then I think the answer is yes, as this would be land-sea-land and legal. If the canal is not effectively a sea zone then not, as land-land is not legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it makes more sense to treat the Kiel Canal the same way as the Suez Canal, which is twice as long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylorsmatthew wrote:
Ron;

Is the Kiel Canal effectively a sea zone for movement?

No. Hamburg and Kiel are a Port and a Naval Base, respectively, in the same area. When a Naval unit moves into either of them, it can immediately at no further movement cost appear at the other.

Quote:
German naval units may move through the Kiel Canal counting the canal area (Hamburg) in their move.

taylorsmatthew wrote:

Can naval units move from Bremen to Hamburg to Stettin, or the reverse, without entering the SE North Sea area?

No. Naval units cannot move from Bremen to Hamburg, or from Hamburg to Bremen, without entering the North Sea.

taylorsmatthew wrote:

If the Kiel Canal makes Hamburg effectively a sea area for Germany then I think the answer is yes, as this would be land-sea-land and legal. If the canal is not effectively a sea zone then not, as land-land is not legal.

That's right. Bremen to Hamburg is land to land, and is illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
Hamburg is not a port in game terms I think as it is not on the coast, the game definition being:
Quote:
Ports are named towns on coasts;
It was a large river port but I don't think it ever was much of a Kriegsmarine base - that was at Wilhelmshaven near Bremen. Part of the military advantage of the canal was that German naval forces could hug the coast behind the Heligoland Bight and shift between their bases.

I am pretty sure that the game SHOULD allow this, and treating the kiel canal as making the Hamburg area a sea zone would model this. The question is what was the designer's intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
Bumping this to see if Ron or CG would will weigh in on this. My knowledge of the Great War was that the HSF used the canal in the manner I described - in game terms shifting forces from Kiel to Bremen. I don't know much about KMS operations, but am strongly of the opinion that modeling the canal as making Hamburg a sea zone for movement via the canal makes the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.